Who's going to give their Honor 8 up for a Honor 9?

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Awesome! Let me know how you like it! Unfortunately it doesn't work on Verizon and the price was a bit too high for a phone that I would essentially use wifi only.
Oh yeah you could not justify getting it for WiFi only. I don't blame you there at all. If I get one I'll definitely let you know how it is and what it's like. Hopefully I'll get one pretty soon. I've been wanting one for a long while now. I'm hoping they hurry up and support CDMA here in the US for you guys who are on Verizon. I know it's a pain. Do you have an honor 8?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah you could not justify getting it for WiFi only. I don't blame you there at all. If I get one I'll definitely let you know how it is and what it's like. Hopefully I'll get one pretty soon. I've been wanting one for a long while now. I'm hoping they hurry up and support CDMA here in the US for you guys who are on Verizon. I know it's a pain. Do you have an honor 8?

I have an honor 8, yes. It has been on sale numerous times, lowest was $224 back on black Friday which is ok to pick up because I could still resell it at the time without a loss.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I have an honor 8, yes. It has been on sale numerous times, lowest was $224 back on black Friday which is ok to pick up because I could still resell it at the time without a loss.
That's a very good deal. Did you get the 64g? Brand new you can't beat that today still. That is awesome. I hate that you can't use it cellular. Have you ever thought about picking up a cricket line for it? They are really priced cheap for their service and they use AT&T cell towers so you get excellent coverage. I only pay 60 dollars a month for unlimited data. You can pick up a 5gb plan for around 40 dollars a month I think. It's not high.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That's a very good deal. Did you get the 64g? Brand new you can't beat that today still. That is awesome. I hate that you can't use it cellular. Have you ever thought about picking up a cricket line for it? They are really priced cheap for their service and they use AT&T cell towers so you get excellent coverage. I only pay 60 dollars a month for unlimited data. You can pick up a 5gb plan for around 40 dollars a month I think. It's not high.

I have used att and T-Mobile for a short time. And while it worked ok, for my needs Verizon is still the cheapest by far and provides the best service where i need it . Granted i have a legacy plan .

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Honor 9 does look beautiful, but I'm not going to give up my 8 for a while. Plus I try to skip phone manufacturers with each new upgrade, so I won't be trying out an Honor device next time 'round.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Honor 9 does look beautiful, but I'm not going to give up my 8 for a while. Plus I try to skip phone manufacturers with each new upgrade, so I won't be trying out an Honor device next time 'round.
So you upgrade every other year is what you mean? That's a good approach to have. Plus you save a ton of money too! Nice plan. I do want the honor 9 mainly because it's now 5.1 a tad smaller. The chip sets maybe different on paper but real world you don't even notice a difference. The fingerprint sensor I'm indifferent on. I'll take it either on the back or front. I wished honor would have amped up the screen resolution though. I hoped that they would but it is a budget device though and under 400 dollars so I guess a little much to expect. What resolution does the mate 9 have? Anyone know by chance? For some reason I'm thinking 1080p too but I'm actually not sure.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
So you upgrade every other year is what you mean? That's a good approach to have. Plus you save a ton of money too! Nice plan. I do want the honor 9 mainly because it's now 5.1 a tad smaller. The chip sets maybe different on paper but real world you don't even notice a difference. The fingerprint sensor I'm indifferent on. I'll take it either on the back or front. I wished honor would have amped up the screen resolution though. I hoped that they would but it is a budget device though and under 400 dollars so I guess a little much to expect. What resolution does the mate 9 have? Anyone know by chance? For some reason I'm thinking 1080p too but I'm actually not sure.

I usually try to make it every year or a little more than that, depending on my money situation and how much I love my phone! Haha. I agree with you, the 9 looks great! Yeah, I suppose upping the screen resolution would make this less of a budget device, but I wonder how much that would cost theoretically. Maybe the Honor 10 will grace us with some better specs! Although the 8 and 9 are still amazing phones for the value.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

The mate 9 is 1080p. Probably the biggest drawback of the mate 9. And the resolution makes a bigger difference due to its larger screen size

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
The mate 9 is 1080p. Probably the biggest drawback of the mate 9. And the resolution makes a bigger difference due to its larger screen size
That's what I thought. You'd think they would have made the mate with a quad display. That could be one reason I don't buy it now. I thought I was right but I wanted to be wrong lol. I'm shocked about that. At 599 dollars there is no possible reason the mate 9 isn't a quad display. That is not good at all. That makes me want my nexus 6p back even more now.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I usually try to make it every year or a little more than that, depending on my money situation and how much I love my phone! Haha. I agree with you, the 9 looks great! Yeah, I suppose upping the screen resolution would make this less of a budget device, but I wonder how much that would cost theoretically. Maybe the Honor 10 will grace us with some better specs! Although the 8 and 9 are still amazing phones for the value.
You are right. For the money I would expect 1080p but to have a quad display would be awesome. That is asking for a bit much for a device under 400 dollars I suppose. I just verified that the Mate 9 is only 1080p which is horrible because that phone is 599 dollars! You'd think that one would have a quad display without doubt. That may be the reason I don't buy the mate 9 now. I thought it was 1080p but I was hoping I was wrong.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That's what I thought. You'd think they would have made the mate with a quad display. That could be one reason I don't buy it now. I thought I was right but I wanted to be wrong lol. I'm shocked about that. At 599 dollars there is no possible reason the mate 9 isn't a quad display. That is not good at all. That makes me want my nexus 6p back even more now.

The question is how important emui is to you. If it isn't high on your list of requirements then you will have a lot more options. The 6p is still a great device .

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You are right. For the money I would expect 1080p but to have a quad display would be awesome. That is asking for a bit much for a device under 400 dollars I suppose. I just verified that the Mate 9 is only 1080p which is horrible because that phone is 599 dollars! You'd think that one would have a quad display without doubt. That may be the reason I don't buy the mate 9 now. I thought it was 1080p but I was hoping I was wrong.

That is why I recommended that you buy used. That way you don't take a hit when your resell or just a small one. It's like trying it out for free or nearly free.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

It's too bad that the Mate 9 does not had Quad display. I had kind of thought that the Mate 9 was a powerhouse spec machine haha.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
It's too bad that the Mate 9 does not had Quad display. I had kind of thought that the Mate 9 was a powerhouse spec machine haha.

I'm finding more and more it doesn't matter. Unless you're using it for VR. Quality of screen can make a lower resolution look great. I had the mate 9 for a few months and the screen was great on it. On my galaxy s8 I've left it on 1080p because I can't readily tell the difference.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Who's going to give their 8 up for a 9?

I'm finding more and more it doesn't matter. Unless you're using it for VR. Quality of screen can make a lower resolution look great. I had the mate 9 for a few months and the screen was great on it. On my galaxy s8 I've left it on 1080p because I can't readily tell the difference.

It's certainly a small difference but noticeable to some people including myself. I can tell when I switch between my s8 plus and 7 plus. Not a huge difference, but noticeable. It should be noted that the base 7 plus sells for $769, up to $969 for the highest model and is 1080p. So a mate 9 with the same resolution at $600 isn't way out of line.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
The question is how important emui is to you. If it isn't high on your list of requirements then you will have a lot more options. The 6p is still a great device .
It's hard to find a new 6p. That is what I want but I've been unable to locate one that is reasonably priced. Do you know where I should look other than Amazon and ebay?

ce_tx

Jan 2, 2017
Visit site
The 9 looks to be a great device, but I only switch when the one I use is having issues or not meeting my expectations. No issues at all with my 8, so I'll be sticking with it!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The 9 looks to be a great device, but I only switch when the one I use is having issues or not meeting my expectations. No issues at all with my 8, so I'll be sticking with it!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Totally agree with you. :)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It's hard to find a new 6p. That is what I want but I've been unable to locate one that is reasonably priced. Do you know where I should look other than Amazon and ebay?

Unfortunately, not that I know of. I am surprised why the prices remain so high on new ones. Maybe when the pixel 2 comes around then the 6p new will come down in price

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I wished that i could follow that mentality, that would save me a lot of money! Unfortunately though i love trying out the latest and greatest and have to pay a pretty penny for it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87