ROM Updates?

Preston2291

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
ok guys so im running a Custom Rom in my 3D but i have a bit of a rookie question...
Say im running cleanrom 1.0 or senseless 1.0 or any other rom out there...if there comes an updated rom, like cleanrom 1.1 if i have all of my apps and everything the way i like it...will i have to completely wipe and then reflash or is it something that i can install on top of the old ROM to gain the updates? ]

Also if yes or no does it vary by the ROM or can it be done the same by them all?

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
ok guys so im running a Custom Rom in my 3D but i have a bit of a rookie question...
Say im running cleanrom 1.0 or senseless 1.0 or any other rom out there...if there comes an updated rom, like cleanrom 1.1 if i have all of my apps and everything the way i like it...will i have to completely wipe and then reflash or is it something that i can install on top of the old ROM to gain the updates? ]

Also if yes or no does it vary by the ROM or can it be done the same by them all?

It varies by ROM and how its rebuilt. I always recommend a fresh wipe on a new ROM

BUt in your example of my ROMS you could install ontop. If I were to go to a version 2.x that would indicate a major change and a new install of apps would more then likely be required.

Reactions: Preston2291

huskers15

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
So if cleanrom were to update to 1.1 you can install over 1.0. I always did it with cm7. They came out with updates everyday. If switching to a different rom def do a wipe.

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
So if cleanrom were to update to 1.1 you can install over 1.0. I always did it with cm7. They came out with updates everyday. If switching to a different rom def do a wipe.

Yep. That sounds right. Also, CleanROM is at 1.1 so if you are not there yet you should give it a try. Assuming you were not talking hypothetically.

Preston2291

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
exactly the answers i was lookin for scro and newboy. I was thinking it all depended on what was changed in the update and also the ROM associated with it, but i wanted to make sure by some Devs and long term androiders as to the proper way. Thanks to both of yall! :D