Rooted evo 3d wont start

bart1888

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey I have my evo 3d rooted and now it wont boot. I really need your help I dont know what to do, tried almost everything and my phone is brand new.

bart1888

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
So you rooted, and after the root it wouldn't boot into the OS. Correct? Can you boot into Recovery?

Which H-Boot version? 1.3, 1.4, or 1.5?

If you used Revolutionary (I suspect you did),

Take a look at the following, as you will probably find a solution. You'll probably have to flash a custom recovery.

HTC Evo 3D Rooting Essentials [official thread] - Android Forums
It says: Model ID incorrect!
Update fail!

Why is this? I used revelutionary, yes.

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Update fail!

Why is this? I used revelutionary, yes.

Thanks for your reply.

Revolutionary is more or less a Beta, and so, there are going to be issues until they get a good working version. They give lots of warning about this.

As with your warning on your phone, I can only guess maybe it wasn't compatible with your HBoot version (1.5) as they said?

Anyhow, try installing a custom recovery as they said. If you have issues, let us know.

bart1888

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Revolutionary is more or less a Beta, and so, there are going to be issues until they get a good working version. They give lots of warning about this.

As with your warning on your phone, I can only guess maybe it wasn't compatible with your HBoot version (1.5) as they said?

Anyhow, try installing a custom recovery as they said. If you have issues, let us know.

I did but than It says this:

Update fail!

I used the update zip methode.

Now trying the other methode but it says the adb file got moved to platform tools. It isnt in the tools folder. But I have no platform tools, do I have to make one? And wich version do I have to install?

Also I got Hboot 1.49.1107

Thanks again for helping me out.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
No problem with the help.

Just remember, your phone is pretty new, and so is that revolutionary tool, so there's not going to be a lot of people with experience in this. So it may take awhile to figure things out.

As with the adb, I think you are talking about your Android Software Dev Kit?

If so, Android SDK | Android Developers and select the one that matches your PC's operation system.

You'll also see a link about proper installation.

bart1888

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
No problem with the help.

Just remember, your phone is pretty new, and so is that revolutionary tool, so there's not going to be a lot of people with experience in this. So it may take awhile to figure things out.

As with the adb, I think you are talking about your Android Software Dev Kit?

If so, Android SDK | Android Developers and select the one that matches your PC's operation system.

You'll also see a link about proper installation.

I did but I am missing a file and I reinstalled 5 times but it isnt there. Now there is a notepad wich says this: The adb tool has moved to platform-tools/

If you don't see this directory in your SDK,
launch the SDK and AVD Manager
(execute the android tool)
and install "Android SDK Platform-tools"

Please also update your PATH environment variable to
include the platform-tools/ directory, so you can
execute adb from any location.

but what is the PATH environment variable?

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I'm out of answers on this, but, try reposting your problem, explain what you have done so far, at these 2 locations;

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-3d-rooting-roms-hacks/ (hopefully some other Evo owners have had the same issue, and found a solution)

And at this site ;

EVO 3D GSM Android Development - xda-developers These people are more into the custom Roms and rooting. They'll be able to help you a lot more than me.

Now, I'll tell you what I learned about "Incorrect Version" errors. Now, this is absolutely the last in "my bag of tricks", but, at this point, I would try every possible method.

HTC phones, some of them, sometimes require whats called a Gold Card to install update.zip. Or similar zips from the SD card. It's like a file verification system. I had to use it on my Desire, and after doing some research, it seems sometimes you have to do this on other HTC phones. I suspect it's a result of the Revolutionary Fail.

To make a Gold Card from your SD, just google HTC Gold Card, and you'll get the instructions. Basically you download 2 small apps to your PC. Insert your SD into your card reader slot, and follow their instructions. 1 program, will read your card, and create a CID number, you e-mail it to the address supplied, they e-mail you a chunk of code to insert when using the 2nd app, which is a Hex Editor.

Here is the link;

Droid Den ? Android Guide: How To Create a Gold Card

Although the Gold Card was mostly used by HTC Desire, I found other HTC phones occassionally need it. At this point, anything is worth trying,

Once you create it, try doing what you tried earlier with the zip file for Recovery.

Other than that, I really have no more tricks left.

Reactions: bart1888

bart1888

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I'm out of answers on this, but, try reposting your problem, explain what you have done so far, at these 2 locations;

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-3d-rooting-roms-hacks/ (hopefully some other Evo owners have had the same issue, and found a solution)

And at this site ;

EVO 3D GSM Android Development - xda-developers These people are more into the custom Roms and rooting. They'll be able to help you a lot more than me.

Now, I'll tell you what I learned about "Incorrect Version" errors. Now, this is absolutely the last in "my bag of tricks", but, at this point, I would try every possible method.

HTC phones, some of them, sometimes require whats called a Gold Card to install update.zip. Or similar zips from the SD card. It's like a file verification system. I had to use it on my Desire, and after doing some research, it seems sometimes you have to do this on other HTC phones. I suspect it's a result of the Revolutionary Fail.

To make a Gold Card from your SD, just google HTC Gold Card, and you'll get the instructions. Basically you download 2 small apps to your PC. Insert your SD into your card reader slot, and follow their instructions. 1 program, will read your card, and create a CID number, you e-mail it to the address supplied, they e-mail you a chunk of code to insert when using the 2nd app, which is a Hex Editor.

Here is the link;

Droid Den ? Android Guide: How To Create a Gold Card

Although the Gold Card was mostly used by HTC Desire, I found other HTC phones occassionally need it. At this point, anything is worth trying,

Once you create it, try doing what you tried earlier with the zip file for Recovery.

Other than that, I really have no more tricks left.

ok but I cant insert my sd in my pc :S

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I haven't personally heard of people getting charged for repairs when they mess up their phone, and try to exchange it or get it fixed under warranty. But, I do not know what your carrier will do.

I suspect, they can;t get into bootloader or recovery, and there is a chance they will not know what is going on with it. But I can't promise that.

You just got your phone, so you still have time under warranty to find a solution.

This is the problem every person has to think about when they root and Rom. For the most part, things work ok provided one follows the instructions.

I think the issue with your phone, is that the process is new along with the model phone, and because of that, it can fail much easier.

I suggest, if you can, to try all possibilities before returning your phone.

XDA is a good site, as they have tons more "modders" there, and are more into these things.

bart1888

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I haven't personally heard of people getting charged for repairs when they mess up their phone, and try to exchange it or get it fixed under warranty. But, I do not know what your carrier will do.

I suspect, they can;t get into bootloader or recovery, and there is a chance they will not know what is going on with it. But I can't promise that.

You just got your phone, so you still have time under warranty to find a solution.

This is the problem every person has to think about when they root and Rom. For the most part, things work ok provided one follows the instructions.

I think the issue with your phone, is that the process is new along with the model phone, and because of that, it can fail much easier.

I suggest, if you can, to try all possibilities before returning your phone.

XDA is a good site, as they have tons more "modders" there, and are more into these things.

ok I am now going to try un root it, do you think its a good idea? I mean my warranty is off when I return with a rooted phone :/. Als I read about htc who released a rooting program or something like that.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
HTC released a rooting program for Sensation and Evo (I think your model). It will allow you to run custom Roms, but will not give you S-Off. Most folks really don;t know what to do with S-off, except display an image immediatly on boot.

In reality, it allows you to do things with internal memory, and flash a couple of other specific things like custom radios.

In your case, I think you just want to remove the carrier "bloatware apps", and install a custom Rom, like most people.

Now, for your info, usually Shipped ROMs has most factory and carrier stock roms. Not sure if they have one for your phone, but is good info to know. Some people like to go back to a factory or stock rom when they sell their phone.

bart1888

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
HTC released a rooting program for Sensation and Evo (I think your model). It will allow you to run custom Roms, but will not give you S-Off. Most folks really don;t know what to do with S-off, except display an image immediatly on boot.

In reality, it allows you to do things with internal memory, and flash a couple of other specific things like custom radios.

In your case, I think you just want to remove the carrier "bloatware apps", and install a custom Rom, like most people.

Now, for your info, usually Shipped ROMs has most factory and carrier stock roms. Not sure if they have one for your phone, but is good info to know. Some people like to go back to a factory or stock rom when they sell their phone.

yes but I think I am going to try to un root it hopefully that will work. But thanks for all your support :) on the xda forums the aren't really responding to my treath till now so I will wait for it the unroot zip needs over 14 hours to download :S.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, well, just hang in there for awhile. I'm sure we can get a solution. Did you post at XDA?

Personally, I have never met a bricked phone that I couldn't get running, but you may be the first ;) So feel honored ;)

But just relax, keep looking for an answer. A truely bricked phone, is when the screen is black.

Unfortunately, I am in a different time zone, so if I go away, it's because I need sleep! :D

bart1888

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, well, just hang in there for awhile. I'm sure we can get a solution. Did you post at XDA?

Personally, I have never met a bricked phone that I couldn't get running, but you may be the first ;) So feel honored ;)

But just relax, keep looking for an answer. A truely bricked phone, is when the screen is black.

Unfortunately, I am in a different time zone, so if I go away, it's because I need sleep! :D

haha I live in west europe + 1.00 gmt the netherlands, I hope I can get a solution :p but it's now almost 10 hour since I posted still no resonse :( but yeah I will just w8 :p

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I feel for your situation.

Well, hey, we gave it our best shot so far. And, you're getting an education in Android, but not the best way.

I learned a lot on my phone, only becaues HTC pushed a bad update, and killed my wifi and tooth. So I didn't have much choice but to root and rom. And I learned a lot of stuff. Like the Gold Card! HA! Who would have guessed.

What really turns my crank, is that you have new phones. And devs of course, want to find a way to root them. That's ok, and they should be blessed for doing so. But, before a method is introduced, they should make damn sure it works on a very high percentage of phones. In this case, Revolutionary wasn't tested enough, and was released to the public before it should have.

yeah, ok, they posted tons of warnings about it. But if you need to post tons of warnings, why advertise it to the general public? And the warnings were, it basically wasn't ready for mainstream use.

The individuals involved, have done tons to develop the methods to make users happy. I take nothing away from that, or the happy users they created. But this time, I have to say, they dropped the ball. One can only peruse through the forums, and see the Bricks created. And when I say Bricks, I mean failed roots. And the recovery methods, are not that great.

I wonder what the criteria was, before releasing the product. 5 phones rooted? 10 phones? I really don't know because nobody says. Maybe it was only 1 phone.

These days, everybody wants to be the first to create root methods on new phones. Bragging rights in this technical world. Because we as consumers demand this. To be first. And to be first to advertise it.

It's what we want....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress