Returning Evo 3D for new Sprint Motorola Photon 4G? Compare.

Are you returning your E3D for the Motorola Photon?

• Total voters

chubbs123

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Played with the Photon at the sprint store today. Used it for about 5 or 6 minutes. I hate the UI. It's sluggish and clumsy. Once you get past it though, this phone is pretty quick to load up just about anything. Very fast. The body of the Photon is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Didn't really notice that much pixelation on the pentile screen but it didn't look as sharp as the evo. I do like it, but I like my Evo3D better.

Sent from my Evo3D using Tapatalk

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
As opposed to the plastic the EVO and 3D are made of? Oh, that's right, the 3D has a metal ring around the screen because HTC's amazing plastic on the EVO cracked and fell apart. Not everyone wants to carry a brick, light doesn't mean cheap, heavy doesn't mean strong. Motorola builds solid phones, and HTC only builds plastic phones on Sprint too. How "cheap" plastic feels is entirely a matter of opinion. If the worst thing people can say about the Photon is it feels cheap, then its probably an amazing phone. Personally, I think plastic feels like plastic no matter who makes it. They're both good phones with some advantages and disadvantages.

Sent from my Transformer

O man, have my opinion and you react as if someone insulted your mom, lolol We Are Talking About Phones! LMFAO and by the way,, i also believe they are both good phones with ups and downs.

EVO-LUTION 3D

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
O man, have my opinion and you react as if someone insulted your mom, lolol We Are Talking About Phones! LMFAO and by the way,, i also believe they are both good phones with ups and downs.

EVO-LUTION 3D

Um, no, not insulted at all, lmao. Just some sarcasm. Kind of amused actually at how people bash certain companies for plastic while praising others for plastic. I was just stating my opinion, that's all. No hard feelings one way or the other.

Sent from my Transformer

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
If for some reason I had to exchange my 3d, it would be for the photon. They are both really good phones. I like the photon cause of the memory and it's world phone capability. But I like the 3d cause of htc sense, soon to be officially unlocked bootloader and 3d. The 3d is not gimmicky like some people think. I love watching movies in 3d, playing games in 3d and recording in 3d. So far I love my 3d but I would not mind using the photon especially if motorola unlocks the bootloader. So far the photon has gotten good reviews, including better signal than the 3d, something I hope gets fixed with an update.

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Um, no, not insulted at all, lmao. Just some sarcasm. Kind of amused actually at how people bash certain companies for plastic while praising others for plastic. I was just stating my opinion, that's all. No hard feelings one way or the other.

Sent from my Transformer

Everyone is different, its got to feel good in "your" hands. All these new devices are amazing. I really can't stand when people bicker back and forth over who's phone is better. They all do pretty much the same things, and they also all have there own unique, endearing features. They all have things that make you scratch your head and wonder why. Its all good. Peace bro!

EVO-LUTION 3D

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Not impressed with the Photon...at all

Nah you aren't missing anything. Imho the reviewers focused on the 3D aspect of the phone and once it got the "gimmick" label it was pretty hard to shake. If the EVO 3D had been called The EVO II that just happened to have 3D capabilities I think things may have been different. I am very pleased with my choice and haven't even thought about trading this phone for something different.
Yup. I would probably have considered the Evo3D more seriously if it had been called the EVO 2.

I just bought a Photon. I'm new to Android, so I really can't compare it to other Android phones. So far, it seems speedy and seems to have a pretty good feature set. The screen isn't as pretty as the screen on the 3D, but everyone says this has better battery life, and it's screen is completely good enough for my tastes. I suspect there are a lot of good phones out there that people like.

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site

Man by some of the fanbois for both phones you could almost mistake this for an iphone thread. Both phones are nice, each has their strenghts and weaknesses, I will be getting one of them when my year is up in a month and still haven't decided.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

Just to let everyone know, we have a dedicated forum for comparing/choosing (and maybe a little bickering in good sport ;) ) between two phones. So you dont always need to post these sorts of things in a phones main forum.

Carry on... :)

cheechmo

May 9, 2011
Visit site

Yup. I would probably have considered the Evo3D more seriously if it had been called the EVO 2.

I don't think I will ever understand this rationale. Basing decisions on the name of a phone? Or is my sarcasm meter broken?

EMT J

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Everyone is different, its got to feel good in "your" hands. All these new devices are amazing. I really can't stand when people bicker back and forth over who's phone is better. They all do pretty much the same things, and they also all have there own unique, endearing features. They all have things that make you scratch your head and wonder why. Its all good. Peace bro!

EVO-LUTION 3D

Totally agree, I don't feel there's anyway to definitively label one better than the other. Both are dual core, 1 gig of ram, hi res displays, HDMI out, etc. Performance will be about the same, each will do some things a lil better or worse than the other.

At the end of the day, I'm sure the photon will deliver the performance we've come to expect from high end devices these days. The EVO 3D has definitely done so in my opinion. I love mine as much now as did on launch day.

There is no such thing as an across the board perfect device. The beauty of Android however is that there is in all likelihood a perfect device for YOU. For me the choice was EVO 3D, galaxy s II, and photon, three high end dual core beasts. Being an original EVO owner I leaned more in that direction. Galaxy s II didn't even have a tentative release date and looked too much like the iPhone , and I didn't find the photon as aesthetically pleasing to my eye as the 3D. I also felt that if i was going to get a phone with a skin, go with the best which I think is sense. I went with the EVO 3D and couldn't be happier.

Some People will say photon is better because of the laptop and car docks etc and while I think those things are great its not as though they're coming with the phone, u have to buy them later. World capability is nice, but if you're not a hardcore traveler then its moot. Some will say EVO because of the large hacking/rom community.

Bottom line both are great and instead of looking to nitpick and try to one up other devices I appreciate the fact that Android and Sprint have given me such worthy phones to choose from

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't think I will ever understand this rationale. Basing decisions on the name of a phone? Or is my sarcasm meter broken?

Well, there are about a thousand phones to consider, and everyone starts with an initial screen that is somewhat irrational but easy to apply. I seriously considered about 3 phones, that being about my limit. The evo 3D probably would have made the short list if it didn't sound so silly and gimmicky.

I think i would have tone with tje photon anyway: World phone and better battery life trump prettier screen, for my use. So far the only things i don't like about the phone are that it lacks a good physical keyboard, and it is too big, but that is true of all the high-end android devices. (none of the landscape keyboards ive seem is ver good.)

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site

I agree the 3d hate rationale is silly, especially from informed users and seasoned editors. The 3D in no way detracts from the phone (camera is debatable) and if I didn't tell people this phone does 3d they'd never know. Hell sometimes I call it just the EVO.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

I agree the 3d hate rationale is silly, especially from informed users and seasoned editors. The 3D in no way detracts from the phone (camera is debatable) and if I didn't tell people this phone does 3d they'd never know. Hell sometimes I call it just the EVO.

I don't agree with the rationale either but have seen it often.

I admit that I do use the 3D features a whole lot more than I thought I would though.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I'll be honest with you, and think what you will, but the 3D part of the 3D was a deciding factor for me. Personally, I'm sick of 3D getting rammed down our throats everywhere when people really aren't embracing it. The only 3D movies that do well are blockbusters, the rest bomb, 3D tv sales are low. Many don't seem to want it, myself included. I know you don't have to use it, but principle factored into my decision not to get it. I don't want to help pump up #s that may lead to more 3D.

But, if there weren't any other phones out, or coming out, that could rival the performance, I probably would have caved. Luckily for me, that's not the case.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Returning the Evo 3D for the new Sprint Motorola Photon 4G?

So far only 3% have said that the EVO 3D is "not for them". That is amazingly low.

TheOpusFuller

May 28, 2010
www.Germanity.com
Re: Returning the Evo 3D for the new Sprint Motorola Photon 4G?

I kinda noticed this in the store and couldnt figure why. My 3D ran about 4 megs down and the photo was pulling 8-9. I've seen some speedtests in their forum with 14 megs... ive NEVER seen those type speeds on wimax lol.

Not sure why you were only getting 4 megs down with the EVO 3D... I just checked mine, I am getting 11.40 down and 1.46 up.

I get ridiculous speeds on evo 4g so the issue definitely isn't with wimax obviously since I just beat what the photon was pulling in.

JKTex

May 2, 2011
Visit site

Just to let everyone know, we have a dedicated forum for comparing/choosing (and maybe a little bickering in good sport ;) ) between two phones. So you dont always need to post these sorts of things in a phones main forum.

Carry on... :)

I was getting confused, wondering why this was here to begin with. Now I get it.... :D

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

I havent seen it yet but to each his own... I dont like blur so thats why I wouldnt get a motorola phone because the ui is something I have to look at all the time.. Also the development community is better with htc... But I am considering looking at the SG2 because it has a great camera... And its fast.. I have no brand loyalty and get what suits my needs...Im just glad sprint is getting a better selection of phones!!!!

Last edited:

cheechmo

May 9, 2011
Visit site

You have to but a $100 accessory to grey root on the photon.....nuff said

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
That's a pretty lame reason to hate on a phone that's been out for a couple of days. I'm sure someone will figure out a webdock-less way to root, just give it a little time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699