"Maps" Using 20% Battery? No matter what!?!

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Why does everyone toss around the wipe/reset option like it's nothing. It's a royal pain in the *** to do (I have things going on in my life other than playing with my phone settings), so absent Google personally fixing this issue for me, I'm hoping that one of the other people on here with the same issue may stumble upon a fix that doesn't involve wasting hours of my time.

I don't toss it around like it is nothing. But you have a choice- you can spend countless hours uninstalling crap one by one and changing settings and fiddling and messing an still not really know. Or you can wipe and start fresh and test while adding things back. Usually the latter is faster, cleaner, and more conclusive.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with asking and trying some different things first. But once you have done that, then you are faced with a tough decision.

G7946

May 6, 2013
Visit site
The unistalling MAPS updated worked for me. Thanks a mil. Started just when I updated My Galaxy Note to JB. Battery was dying within hours and never had a problem before. What a pain that was!

everlast316

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Well bad news.. This worked until u tried to actually use Maps. When I opened it I got a popup that said "updated to latest version" and was back to the battery drain. So looks like this fix works as long as you never want to use maps again.
Sigh.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Well bad news.. This worked until u tried to actually use Maps. When I opened it I got a popup that said "updated to latest version" and was back to the battery drain. So looks like this fix works as long as you never want to use maps again.
Sigh.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Do you have the app set to automatically update? Check your play store settings, auto sync settings, and in app settings. I think the option is in app, though...I uninstalled updates and have since used maps with no problem. It didn't update again, for me.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

everlast316

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Great idea. I looked in the store and it's not set to auto update. I checked in app and couldn't find an auto update button so I assume that's not it. I checked my sync options and couldn't find an auto update option, however I did notice that I had my location and Google now settings turned off in app, but in the sync settings menu they were still turned on! Pretty sneaky Google! So I turned them off there and we'll see if that does the trick.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Great idea. I looked in the store and it's not set to auto update. I checked in app and couldn't find an auto update button so I assume that's not it. I checked my sync options and couldn't find an auto update option, however I did notice that I had my location and Google now settings turned off in app, but in the sync settings menu they were still turned on! Pretty sneaky Google! So I turned them off there and we'll see if that does the trick.

Hopefully! I haven't had any issues out of maps since, even when using it. JB and maps aren't playing well for some reason. I hope they iron it out pretty quickly.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

tpavlic

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully! I haven't had any issues out of maps since, even when using it. JB and maps aren't playing well for some reason. I hope they iron it out pretty quickly.

Could it be the Google Now integration? Enabling Google Now means that inside your Maps->Location settings, location reporting is automatically turned on. Some people report turning off all automatic location reporting (including location history) largely mitigates the problem (but Maps still shows up more than usual).

Also, some have suggested going into ROM Toolbox's Auto-start manager and disabling four of the services (1, 3, 4, and 7, I believe) that relate to automatic location reporting.

Finally, I haven't tried it myself, but I think that the app "Backitude" will still work with the latest version of Maps and JB/Google Now. Backitude is available in the Play Store. From what I understand, you set location services to "manual" and then Backitude does the updating for you. Backitude can report your location in a more battery efficient way -- e.g., by "stealing" recent locations from LinkedIn check-ins or times you've actually opened maps yourself.

Last edited:

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what happened, but today for the first time, I got home from work and my battery was half gone due to maps. Considering I didn't do ANYTHING with the phone the 9 hours it was off the charger this is pretty annoying. Fluke? The maps update today? Not sure. I did kill the app and report it.

Put it on the charger for an hour, took it off for 10 minutes and then looked at usage. Maps had consumed 16% of my battery again. OMG. I killed and reported it again. I then cleared map's cache and settings. Launched maps and made sure it looked normal. Turned off screen and placed on charger for a while to reset the battery usage. Then left it off charger for a while and confirmed it is no longer using any battery. Solved? Perhaps...

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what happened, but today for the first time, I got home from work and my battery was half gone due to maps. Considering I didn't do ANYTHING with the phone the 9 hours it was off the charger this is pretty annoying. Fluke? The maps update today? Not sure. I did kill the app and report it.

Put it on the charger for an hour, took it off for 10 minutes and then looked at usage. Maps had consumed 16% of my battery again. OMG. I killed and reported it again. I then cleared map's cache and settings. Launched maps and made sure it looked normal. Turned off screen and placed on charger for a while to reset the battery usage. Then left it off charger for a while and confirmed it is no longer using any battery. Solved? Perhaps...

So much for that theory. Today it did the same thing. Battery draining with no use and maps was 40+% of it. So I uninstalled all the updates to maps, which reverted back to the old factory-included ROM version and THAT seems to have stopped the problem. It seems curious this thread is not flooded with new postings on this. Maybe it is a combination issue.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I have reported this to HTC.
==============
Sprint EVO LTE

Google pushed out an update to Maps in the last few days and I and a few others have a big problem with it draining the battery, even when the phone and Maps is not being used at all. I have GPS always off. I have Google Now turned off. Rebooting, clearing Maps cache, and clearing and settings has no effect. The only way I could stop it from draining the battery was to "uninstall" all the updates to Maps, reverting it back to the stock, pre-installed ROM version.

This might be Google's fault, but I am reporting it to you also just as an FYI. Hopefully you can make some noise on our behalf since this is a huge problem for some of us. Thanks

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Could it be the Google Now integration? Enabling Google Now means that inside your Maps->Location settings, location reporting is automatically turned on. Some people report turning off all automatic location reporting (including location history) largely mitigates the problem (but Maps still shows up more than usual).

Also, some have suggested going into ROM Toolbox's Auto-start manager and disabling four of the services (1, 3, 4, and 7, I believe) that relate to automatic location reporting.

Finally, I haven't tried it myself, but I think that the app "Backitude" will still work with the latest version of Maps and JB/Google Now. Backitude is available in the Play Store. From what I understand, you set location services to "manual" and then Backitude does the updating for you. Backitude can report your location in a more battery efficient way -- e.g., by "stealing" recent locations from LinkedIn check-ins or times you've actually opened maps yourself.

Sorry, just saw this. I have had Google now disabled since getting the phone :p

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez