Get out of contract.

kennethbring

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely love my EVO. But I honestly don't think I can do with just the 3G speeds anymore. They are absolutely awful in my area. I was told by three different salesman at three different Sprint store's that my area would have LTE by the end of 2012. But I'm not seeing it on any of the unofficial rollout cities. Now I know this could change, and Columbus could be added, but I'm not putting money on it.

Which brings me to my question. What is the cheapest (preferably free) way to get out of my contract? I know if the T's and C's change, I can call them and say I dont agree and can get out of my contract with no ETF, but as far as I know, there's no change as of right now. If I was told by multiple employees that I'd have LTE by end of 2012, and the time comes and no dice, would that be enough? I feel like I'd need to have it in writing. Just opened a new line when the EVO 4G LTE came out, so I'd be looking at a pretty substantial ETF. Anyone had any luck getting out of a contract without one?

kiwicarlos741

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely love my EVO. But I honestly don't think I can do with just the 3G speeds anymore. They are absolutely awful in my area. I was told by three different salesman at three different Sprint store's that my area would have LTE by the end of 2012. But I'm not seeing it on any of the unofficial rollout cities. Now I know this could change, and Columbus could be added, but I'm not putting money on it.

Which brings me to my question. What is the cheapest (preferably free) way to get out of my contract? I know if the T's and C's change, I can call them and say I dont agree and can get out of my contract with no ETF, but as far as I know, there's no change as of right now. If I was told by multiple employees that I'd have LTE by end of 2012, and the time comes and no dice, would that be enough? I feel like I'd need to have it in writing. Just opened a new line when the EVO 4G LTE came out, so I'd be looking at a pretty substantial ETF. Anyone had any luck getting out of a contract without one?

Most likely they said that LTE would be in ur area and lied because theyre prolly on commission and just wanted to make the sale.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Some people have been lucky ky enough to get out by constantly harassing customer service and whining but I don't know if that works anymore.

RyDawgBoston

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I got out of my contract. I was promised 4G Wimax 2 years ago and never got it. I went to the Evo Lte and service was awful and would get texts 2 days later. Data would never work.

I was paying the premium data fee for 2 years and never recieved it.

I was reimbursed 26 months of $10 per month and they let me get out of my contract.

You just have to talk to the right person and know your consumer rights. I also wrote to Consumer Affairs and Sprint got back to me fast. Their customer service is great!

Remember, if your paying for a service and your not recieving it, you can get out of contract. I dont care what anyone says. If you have a Lte phone and paying for premium data and do not recieve lte, you can get out. You do not have to pay for something that you are not recieving.

I went to AT&T and Lte is screaming fast and service is great.

Last edited:

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. This is why I returned me EVOLTE...Sprint 3G is abysmal. With no public LTE roll out schedule, they don't deserve my money anymore.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I got out of my contract. I was promised 4G Wimax 2 years ago and never got it. I went to the Evo Lte and service was awful and would get texts 2 days later. Data would never work.

I was paying the premium data fee for 2 years and never recieved it.

I was reimbursed 26 months of $10 per month and they let me get out of my contract.

You just have to talk to the right person and know your consumer rights. I also wrote to Consumer Affairs and Sprint got back to me fast. Their customer service is great!

Remember, if your paying for a service and your not recieving it, you can get out of contract. I dont care what anyone says. If you have a Lte phone and paying for premium data and do not recieve lte, you can get out. You do not have to pay for something that you are not recieving.

I went to AT&T and Lte is screaming fast and service is great.

Far more likely they let you out because you contacted Consumer Affairs, and you got the right person on the phone. There is nothing in our contracts about being provided with a 4G signal. The Premium Data Fee is not a 4G fee in any paperwork. Salesmen lie, but its impossible to prove without it in writting. You got very lucky my friend.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

RyDawgBoston

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Far more likely they let you out because you contacted Consumer Affairs, and you got the right person on the phone. There is nothing in our contracts about being provided with a 4G signal. The Premium Data Fee is not a 4G fee in any paperwork. Salesmen lie, but its impossible to prove without it in writting. You got very lucky my friend.

The $10 fee is for premium data. Premuum data is above 3g speeds. Whether it be fast 3g, 4g, or lte. Dial up speeds are unacceptable.

If you have weak 3g and always have to look for wifi, that is not premuum data.

At&t 3g is faster than sprint lte and 4g.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
The $10 fee is for premium data. Premuum data is above 3g speeds. Whether it be fast 3g, 4g, or lte. Dial up speeds are unacceptable.

Premium data my be defined that way to you, but it is not to Sprint. Premium data refers to the extra data that smartphones use. It has nothing to do with speed according to them. I'm happy you're happy, but you did get extremely lucky. Many have tried to get out of contracts that way you did, and most have failed because the premium data charge has nothing to do with speeds.

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site

Actually the $10 fee is for unlimited (premium) data.

mike31082

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
No its not. The $10 premium fee Sprint instatuted was justified for 4g speeds. 3g is considered basic data service.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
No its not. The $10 premium fee Sprint instatuted was justified for 4g speeds. 3g is considered basic data service.

What Sprint insinuated and what the contract and their advertising says is two entirely different things. Sprint NEVER said the premium data charge was for 4G. It has always been described as a fee for the extra data smartphones use. ALWAYS. I have been on these boards long enough to see many discussions on the matter and plenty of proof. Skim back years if you like. There has never been a glen thing from Sprint saying it is for 4G. Simple fact.

wess580

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
i was charged the $10/month data plan when i had the htc hero... definitely NOT a 4g device.

once the term "smartphone" came out, that's when sprint instituted the $10/month premium data plan.

Not really my palm centro, palm pro, and palm pre all are classified as smart phones but i was not charged for a $10 premium data only when i got my og evo was i charged

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with crzycrkr here.

Sprint has never stated that the premium data was for 4g. When the Og evo came out they said its simply because we'll consume more data with that quality of phone. Nothing about 4g

Reactions: crzycrkr

wess580

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
So whats the difference besides them not being android and i honestly think the palm pre use more data i could be wrong but im siding with the poster

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with crzycrkr here.

Sprint has never stated that the premium data was for 4g. When the Og evo came out they said its simply because we'll consume more data with that quality of phone. Nothing about 4g

...and i'm okay with that. Sprint 3G Data Unlimited 21,434,041 This month

Last edited:

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Not really my palm centro, palm pro, and palm pre all are classified as smart phones but i was not charged for a $10 premium data only when i got my og evo was i charged

Because they started the charge around the time the OT EVO came out. There's really no debate here. The fact is it was never for 4G. Some salesmen tried to sell it that way, but Sprint NEVER did. It was always for increased data consumption on smartphones. Not trying to start an argument, just simple facts.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
It is not 4G fee. When it first came out it was on only the 4G devices. It was soon changed to include all smartphones as it is now. 3g and 4g. You won't get out of your contract due to that $10 fee. That guy was very lucky. I say root your phone, flash a Verizon PRL and use the hell out of your phone. That will cause high roaming and they will let you out due to that.

Reactions: crzycrkr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87