Skype contacts in phone...how to remove????

Scott Bluyus

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking for some help trying to remove my Skype contacts that have somehow made their way into my contacts on my phone. I've done everything I can try to remove them but nothing has worked yet.

To start, there is an option within Account Setting of Skye to turn sync with your contacts on or off. I would think that would do it, but it's turned off and the contacts are still there.

Under contacts, you see a list (with checkmarks next to each one) for where your contacts have been imported from (Skype, GMail, Outlook, Linkedin etc) and I only have Gmail checked.

Ironically, when I unclick my gmail contacts, they stay in my phone. So I'm thinking the Skype contacts got synced in at one point or another and now do not want to leave. Is there a way to manually go in a clear out all contacts without a complete reset of the phone? If that's possible I would then just need to go in and sync my gmail contacts back in.

It's just a big annoyance...since I have a contact for my wife on my phone and she's a contact within Skype, she shows up twice in my phone.

Also, the Skype contacts are not listed when I look under all my contacts in People.

I've searched high and low but have had no luck....

Any insight would be appreciated

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Since you already disabled the Skype contacts sync, simply delete Skype contacts from the list on your phone...

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say that your Skype contacts have made their way into your contacts on your phone, yet are not listed when you look under all your contacts in People.

But in regards to your wife showing up twice because she's in your phone contact and also a Skype contact, you know that you can link your contacts, right? Typically, the phone even tells you when it thinks its found contacts from multiple sources that are the same people, when you go to "People."

If it doesn't make link suggestions, you can always link the contact yourself, by tapping on the "Link" button, and selecting the other contact source... after a contact is linked, that person would only show up once under the same entry...
nguf75.png

Now, if you want to get rid of your Skype contacts from the phone's contact list, unchecking the "sync" doesn't work, as you've found. Try this:

1. Go to Settings > Account & sync > Skype, and from the menu button, select "Remove" and tap "OK" on the prompt.
2. Open up the Skype app, and log in again. This time, choose not to sync your Skype contacts when given the option.

HTH

Scott Bluyus

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for taking the time to respond....

I have tried removing Skype...I get a message that the only way to remove Skype is through a factory reset.

When I look at "People" on my phone- the phonebook dropdown shows all teh sources of where my contacts are coming from. Is it rational to think that if I uncheck all of them that I should have no contacts in my phone? That's what I did (uncheck gmail, exchange etc) yet somehow I still have all kinds of contacts in my phone.

With regards to my wife (as an example) I mean she's no listed under "People" but when I click on her details she's listed a Skype contact- even though I don't have Skype synced in. As another example I can also see some Linkedin contacts that I have no desire to have in my phone. Again, the only thing I can think of is that they got synced in at one point and now don
t want to come out.

Make sense?

Thanks again for any help

SWB

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm still confused. If your wife is not listed under "People," then how do you get to her contact details?

Scott Bluyus

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the confusion....

She shows up in my call history....when I hold down and click on "View Contact" it shows that it's a Skype contact.

Her cell number is part of her Skype contact and part of the contact I set up for her...but when she calls it shows up as the Skype contact.

Is it possible that syncing contacts with Skype/Linkedin etc put the contacts into your phone but "unsyncing" doesn't remove them?

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the confusion....

She shows up in my call history....when I hold down and click on "View Contact" it shows that it's a Skype contact.

Her cell number is part of her Skype contact and part of the contact I set up for her...but when she calls it shows up as the Skype contact.

Is it possible that syncing contacts with Skype/Linkedin etc put the contacts into your phone but "unsyncing" doesn't remove them?
I've had similar issues, though not with Skype. Removing them from the phone doesn't do much because your contacts sync back in from Google. I'm sure there are easier ways to do this, but since I don't know of any, or work at the Googleplex, the only way I have been able to do this is to delete them from my main Google account. When you log in to your Gmail on your PC you will see "Gmail" in the upper left corner, just below "Google". Click on that and you will see a drop down menu for "contacts" and "tasks". Open up the contacts here and you will see E V E R Y T H I N G! You can delete them from here and not have to worry about them syncing top your phone again.

Javed Baksh

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem and the easiest way I found to fix it was:

1. Log in to your Skype app

2. Go to Settings via the Menu button

3. Open the "Sync contacts" option

4. Select "Don't sync" and continue.

Everything should be just fine after that. Hope it helps!

Scott Bluyus

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem and the easiest way I found to fix it was:

1. Log in to your Skype app

2. Go to Settings via the Menu button

3. Open the "Sync contacts" option

4. Select "Don't sync" and continue.

Everything should be just fine after that. Hope it helps!

Thanks for the note back, appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Unfortunately I've already tried that and had no luck.

The one place that I can't help but keep looking at is when I am in my phonebook and then on the people tab- from there you can click the down arrow next to phonebook to see what you have synced to your phone- linkedin, skype etc etc etc. And the only thing I have checked there is my gmail account. However, all my linkedin/skype etc contacts still show up in my phone. It's very frustrating- especially when people like my wife are in there twice- but I've come to deal with it.

Is it possible to completely wipe out the phonebook and then resync it? Maybe they were synced in and now are stuck there?

Don't know...any other ideas would be great

Thank you

Distorted Vision

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi Scott,

Have you managed to resolve this?

I had exactly the same issue as you but I solved it by uninstalling the Skype app. Removed the Skype account (I think it does this automatically when you uninstall it). I then reinstalled Skype and followed Javed's steps above to make sure it doesn't sync.

Hope this helps?

Saranya1234

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I really don't want my Skype contacts to be in my phone contacts... I recently downloaded the app and signed up into my Skype account on my phone and I said nit to sync the contacts but it automatically did it... I'm really very frustrated with the problem and on my phone it shows me that it can't delete the contact... Please help me out of this without clearing the phone memory...

Epeli Rosa

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi, saw your post and i don't know if you've found a solution by now or no.
But, if you haven't, just follow this simple steps:

Contacts -->Menu--> contacts to display --> all, phone, sim, facebook, twitter, email or customise [Tick or un-tick whichever you want/don`t want.]

I had the same problem so what i did was, i went to "contacts to display" > Customized list > clicked on the setting icon next to Customized list, i clicked on my google account which is synced to my contacts & then the drop down list showed me 3 options that were ticked indicating that my Google account contacts was synced to my contacts. So i unticked those options and voila, it's gone from my contacts. Simple.

Hope that helps. :cool:

shwoozm

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Contacts -->Menu--> contacts to display --> all, phone, sim, facebook, twitter, email or customise [Tick or un-tick whichever you want/don`t want.]

I had the same problem so what i did was, i went to "contacts to display" > Customized list > clicked on the setting icon next to Customized list, i clicked on my google account which is synced to my contacts & then the drop down list showed me 3 options that were ticked indicating that my Google account contacts was synced to my contacts. So i unticked those options and voila, it's gone from my contacts. Simple.

Dude you're brilliant, I made an account just to thank you! xD

cyberalpine

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Now, if you want to get rid of your Skype contacts from the phone's contact list, unchecking the "sync" doesn't work, as you've found. Try this:

1. Go to Settings > Account & sync > Skype, and from the menu button, select "Remove" and tap "OK" on the prompt.
2. Open up the Skype app, and log in again. This time, choose not to sync your Skype contacts when given the option.

HTH
To Glenn: Thanks. This worked for me.

Sonny G1

Jul 4, 2017
Visit site
Now 8/2017 and skype still forces you to add contacts when you first start the app. No options, no choices, just "please wait while we add your contacts to your skype list.

I don't WANT my damn phone contacts in my skype!!!
friggen overbearing microsoft has to f^%#* up everything.

LesleyMasoko

Mar 21, 2019
Visit site

Made an account just to say Thank you.

kailashpirdnani

Oct 2, 2019
Visit site
Finally found it. Logged in simply to say thanks, enough information & steps to solve the problem in here. I could not locate the way to reply back to the post. So got here by clicking Scott blyus name then on threads. Finally found it thanks