[Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

mottern

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
You're welcome. With so many questions coming at once it most got lost in the thread. Well, to me anyways :p
I just posted the question once on here but I tried other forums, but I understand that you guys have a bunch of question coming at once, guess I was a little impatient.Thanks again.

Moose24

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I have rooted using the instructions and all went perfect. Now, I have a few questions. It says s-off and I have the superuser app installed and the cwm installed. First, what exactly does the superuser app do? Second, how do I move apps to sd card that wouldn't before rooting? Third, how do I uninstall bloatware apps? I don't see where it changed the option to do any of that. I did not flash any roms, wanted to leave phone as is, exept rooting it. If I need to, guess I will. I am new to this, so any help, will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Superuser app limits what can access all parts of the phone now thats youre rooted, protecting you from anything you didnt give permission too.

Move apps to the SD card by using the A2SD scripts, or flash a new rom

Bloat ware=system apps. With root explorer, you can access the system/app partition and delete whatever the heck ya want!

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Also, when using root explorer (or any other file manager that goes into the system) that you have r/w (read/write) enable. By default it's r/o (read/only). That can save some frustration. ;)

Reactions: igotsanevo4g

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
After rooting my phone to get my MSL. I unrooted. But S-OFF remains. Is there a way to return to S-ON?

You used Revolutionary to gain s-off? Did you run the 4.24 RUU to unroot?

Sorry for asking but I'm just curious if their S-OFF is like Unrevoked Forever as you need their S-on tool to get it back.

I'm not saying this will work or not so try at your own risk, but try unrevoked's s-on tool.

You will first need to install a custom recovery through hboot and then flash the s-on. After that run the 4.24 RUU.

http://downloads.unrevoked.com/forever/current/unrevoked-forever-son.zip Link to s-on

If you don't feel comfortable then you can leave it off. It won't hurt nothing.

MEZOCLONE

May 6, 2011
Visit site
When i open the .exe file it opens for 2 seconds then closes! Could this be a from a security setting or any idea what it could be?

Moose24

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Superuser app limits what can access all parts of the phone now thats youre rooted, protecting you from anything you didnt give permission too.

Move apps to the SD card by using the A2SD scripts, or flash a new rom

Bloat ware=system apps. With root explorer, you can access the system/app partition and delete whatever the heck ya want!

I have seen the superuser work now, and understand its purpose. I have always used ESexplorer and figured out how to delete the bloat apps through it, so that works. Just couple more questions though. To remove bloat apps, is the only option to remove them to delete the .apk, I take it you don't have to uninstall them? What is the best way to free up space on the internal memory? I have removed some bloat apps, but didn't really see much of a change in memory space. Thanks

Last edited:

ibnwasef

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
[NOTE]This is a relatively simple process, being as I don't have a Evo 4G any longer things may be off a little bit because i cant test, so please feel free to correct anything that is wrong.[/NOTE]

Lets just jump right in!

[INFO]I'll have helpful links at the bottom for after youre done rooting[/INFO]

[WARN]DISCLAIMER: Myself nor revolutionary is responsible for what you do to you device, it is at your own risk.[/WARN]

1: Download and install HTC drivers HTC drivers

2: Download the rooting tool/program revolutionary Revolutionary, downloads are at the bottom of the page. You will need to enter in your Evo's serial number (under the battery) and be sure to save the beta key. You'll need it later.

3: Enable USB debugging (settings>applications>development>turn on USB debugging) and connect the evo to your PC as charge only

4: Un-zip the S-OFF tool and run the program, making sure to install the custom recovery when prompted. (unless you already know what you're doing and want to put Amon_Ra or TWRP recovery on there)

5: Download SuperUser and boot into recovery. To enter recovery: power off completely, yes battery pull while off too be sure, then hold volume down+power and from there go to recovery and confirm.

6: install superuser from recovery (you must put the Superuser zip on the SD card first, before booting into recovery. Or mount your SD card while in recovery to take it too your Evo. OR, download it too your phone before booting into recovery :p)

YOU ARE NOW ROOTED.

7: (optional but highly recommended) Make a nandroid backup via recovery and then put it on the PC just to be sure nothing will happen too it.
It accepted my beta key and it says

"Zerging Root ... this might take a minute or so...."

and its been fifteen minutes and I have tried this multiple times with the same result.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ibnwasef

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Running Revolution, says Zerging root, this may take a minute"
been about 10 minutes. did I do something wrong?

Finally got it to work, everything finally worked as it should.
My next question, is: now what?
Did you do anything different, or did it just work on its own.

dlphntat

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Edit: Uninstall HTC Sync from your computer, restart and try again.
That did the trick for me.

credit from
Rooted finally woohoo

Thanks for the guide

Nothing against the guide here but I used this one

[ROOT] EVO 4G Gingerbread 2.3 Root Tutorial (Windows) - xda-developers

The only thing the guide here is missing is the step about copying over the superuser file before even starting

Q: When I run Revolutionary tool it just sits at "waiting for device".
A: Make sure you have HTC SYNC Closed and or Removed in order for this to work - Thanks @smallba

Last edited:

vwl5004

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
some quick questions

I do not want to bootcamp my computer, has anyone had anyluck yet on Macs?

would it be wrong to make a thread about rooting for mac? or should i just keep everything in here?

and when it says install HTC drivers, does that mean on the phone? or on your computer? sorry ive never rooted before and just trying to get an understanding.

airbornecmh

May 13, 2011
Visit site
First I wanted to say thanks to the folks from Revolutionary for finally breaking 2.3. I follow Android Central daily. I have had my EVO since about a month before the 2.3 update. I wasn't sure if I was going to root or not but I decided to yesterday and it is def worth it to take control of your phone. For any of you having problems, I had to enter my beta key about 20 times before it finally went through. Once you get through the beta key portion it is smooth sailing. Good luck to you all and I am off to search for some great roms.

tazman1963

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Wow! I gotta admit it's been one heck of a week for the good ol' og evo, to be shining in the lights once again is such a good feeling and to have been a small part of helping has made this a week to remember! happy flashing to all you evophiles!:p

RamjetFDO

Apr 7, 2011
www.balettie.com
Is anyone else having dodgy GPS accuracy issues?

And, if so, does anyone have a handy link for updating it?

Thanks in advance...
Answering my own question:

THIS ONE - from xda-developers - was recommended from a web search: xda-developers - View Single Post - [8-10-11][ROM] gingerbread-evo-deck [1.3b2][2.3.5 beta]

I just installed GPS_Supersonic_FIX_Flash2 from the ZIP file - seemed to install just fine.

First boot-up with it, locked on quickly. I fired up Google maps (with sat view) - walked outside, down the driveway - and it was VERY accurate... within a meter or two at all times.

I'll check it out again on the road tomorrow.

chocolatechip

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
[NOTE]This is a relatively simple process, being as I don't have a Evo 4G any longer things may be off a little bit because i cant test, so please feel free to correct anything that is wrong.[/NOTE]

Lets just jump right in!

[INFO]I'll have helpful links at the bottom for after youre done rooting[/INFO]

[WARN]DISCLAIMER: Myself nor revolutionary is responsible for what you do to you device, it is at your own risk.[/WARN]

1: Download and install HTC drivers HTC drivers

2: Download the rooting tool/program revolutionary Revolutionary, downloads are at the bottom of the page. You will need to enter in your Evo's serial number (under the battery) and be sure to save the beta key. You'll need it later.

3: Enable USB debugging (settings>applications>development>turn on USB debugging) and connect the evo to your PC as charge only

4: Un-zip the S-OFF tool and run the program, making sure to install the custom recovery when prompted. (unless you already know what you're doing and want to put Amon_Ra or TWRP recovery on there)

5: Download SuperUser and boot into recovery. To enter recovery: power off completely, yes battery pull while off too be sure, then hold volume down+power and from there go to recovery and confirm.

6: install superuser from recovery (you must put the Superuser zip on the SD card first, before booting into recovery. Or mount your SD card while in recovery to take it too your Evo. OR, download it too your phone before booting into recovery :p)

YOU ARE NOW ROOTED.

7: (optional but highly recommended) Make a nandroid backup via recovery and then put it on the PC just to be sure nothing will happen too it.
Can you use this method on a mac?

vwl5004

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Can you use this method on a mac?
i dont think so, some of those files are .exe which i dont think mac can run (i am in the same boat as you waiting for a mac soulution) someone suggested running bootcamp (running windows on mac) but i dont want to really go thru that trouble cause ive never done that before, and ive never rooted before.