Permanent fix to battery issues. NO BS.

werx

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Okay even to this day I see a lot of complaints about the Evo's battery. There is only 1 solution - the rest are fake placebo effects. If you hate your current battery life and have tried everything else then this is for you.

Requirements: Root + NAND access.

1) Root your phone. Go to xda-developers and search the Evo forums. It literally took me 20 minutes to go from stock android to rooted custom rom android - reading time included. If you cannot figure out how to root based off of the countless tutorials, then don't try.

2) Install a custom ROM and kernal. It is extremely important you install a custom kernal!!! Stock kernals have overclock/downlocking issues.
I recommend this rom:
[ROM] CyanogenMod-6 - No Sense at ALL! - V6.0.0-RC1 (07/25/2010) - xda-developers

with this kernal:
[Kernel] CM6-Snap-v5! UV/OC/Compcache - xda-developers

If you want to try something else go here and browse under ROM/kernal section: EVO 4G Android Development - xda-developers

3) Download SETCPU from xda-developers.com for FREE or support the developer by buying it from the android marketplace. Do NOT buy it right away unless you are running a stock rom.
Link to download from XDA: SetCPU for Root Users [2.0.2] This *actually* changes everything. 08/02/2010 - xda-developers

4) Stock settings are reported to work the best. Max = 998 and min = 256. I personally set the max to 500 unless I am doing heavy flash websites and min stayed 256 or less and I have gotten more than a days worth on heavy usage.

This is the ONLY permanent fix to the battery life you can do. All other methods that are used in stock (non rooted) android will only give you minimal battery increases that can fluctuate easily. The custom kernal and rom eliminate the BS apps as well as undervolt your stock vcore to give you incredible battery life.

This thread is to give a heads up. I don't want to hear any crying or complaining. In my experience rooting has been nothing but a success and very very easy to accomplish. Even if you brick it there are numerous ways to unbrick. I honestly believe the benefits outweigh the risks in this situation - prolonged battery life, 30 FPS cap removed, faster speeds, more apps, more customization, etc etc.

If you don't want to root - I don't need to hear about it in this thread. Thanks.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
My only issue with rooting is 99.99% of the time if you want to upgrade to a new custom ROM or change to a different custom ROM you have to wipe and start all over. Which isn't a MAJOR pain but it's a pain..... I would love to get rid of the bloatware that carriers load on your phone and actually after 3+ months with a Nexus One I would love Stock Vanilla android I am just not in the mood to screw with it constantly to keep it up to date.

I know a few custom ROM's you don't have to wipe but most tell you before installing the latest ROM to wipe first...

Custom ROM's are cool though....

werx

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
My only issue with rooting is 99.99% of the time if you want to upgrade to a new custom ROM or change to a different custom ROM you have to wipe and start all over. Which isn't a MAJOR pain but it's a pain..... I would love to get rid of the bloatware that carriers load on your phone and actually after 3+ months with a Nexus One I would love Stock Vanilla android I am just not in the mood to screw with it constantly to keep it up to date.

I know a few custom ROM's you don't have to wipe but most tell you before installing the latest ROM to wipe first...

Custom ROM's are cool though....

What are you wiping?? A wipe only removes what apps are on the screen. All my contacts are linked to my gmail account and all my apps are saved on my SD card. You can also save all your apps on APPBRAIN and just reinstall them as a bundle if you wipe. The only thing I can think of that one would lose if you wipe is text msgs. Even then... how many times do you wipe your phone?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Like I said it isn't a major pain.... But it is a pain..... YES, all my contacts are saved to Google contacts and most but not all of my Apps are on my SD card (some don't offer the option yet) After each custom ROM you usually have to wipe and then sign back in to every thing... Which is the mild pain. I backed every thing up once and did a factory reset and even though every thing was backed up it was still a mild pain to log back in to every thing and get back to where I was when I reset.

It's not a major issue.... All I was saying was it's the only reason I have not rooted and installed a custom ROM and Kernal. A few of the custom ROM's I have checked in about tell you to wipe before and if you don't like it and want to try another one you have to wipe and start all over again.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
No placebo effect here. Charging my batteries externally has doubled my battery life on my stock Evo. I am considering rooting to unlock the fps though

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
If you're going for battery life, I suggest Baked Snack which is known to give a years worth of battery boost per charge ... Right now the Cyanogen Rom, even with Snap, isn't known for its battery saving ability.

JQuinn15

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I can def vouch for all these tips the OP gives. The CM6 nightly builds are stable enough to run as an everyday rom as well. I know I have been getting increased battery from the more recent CM6 nightly builds, starting around 8/9/10. And btw, I'm just using the kernel that comes in CM6, not snap. Combine that with Juice defender and you can double your battery life. I'm averaging about 24-26 hours per charge, with good usage.

And Titanium Backup is also another easy to use app to backup all your apps from one rom to another.

Last edited:

Rudementry

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Use Titanium Backup (Pro) and Mybackup. With these two apps, wiping is never a pain. Within 5 minutes everything is back to how they were, all my texts, home screens, widgets, app settings. Everything. No pain.

Also, you're pretty crazy to have max set to 500Mhz. Isn't that like super slow? Reminds me of the Pre.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
For those of you who don't want to completely change the way your phone looks to save battery life.

If you use setcpu, and set the correct profiles, you will see a dramatic increase in battery life.

I've gone the route above, it works no questions. But i love sense... So it isnt for me. Instead i have the frequency set lower when the phone screen is off, or low, and it extended the batter from my stock (about 10 hours) to what i'm working off now (about 19 hours) ... If you don't charge your phone at night, i recommended getting a second or travel charger.

Note that there are also tons to threads out there to extend battery life on your phone. Check those out too.

bcbbanga4l

Q&A Team
Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok i want to try this stuff but is htc going to come up with a fix for this phones life? I charged my phone all night and wake up take it off the charger i go from house to car (4 minutes ) and its already decreased battery life to 65 percent???

JQuinn15

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok i want to try this stuff but is htc going to come up with a fix for this phones life? I charged my phone all night and wake up take it off the charger i go from house to car (4 minutes ) and its already decreased battery life to 65 percent???

The phone shouldn't be draining that much battery in 4 mins. I stopped charging my phone overnight since there is no trickle charge and the battery drops to 90% while still on charger, then charges back up. That's why there is a dramatic drop after you take it off of the charger. But something else is going on to make it drop that drastically.

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
For those of you who don't want to completely change the way your phone looks to save battery life.

If you use setcpu, and set the correct profiles, you will see a dramatic increase in battery life.

I've gone the route above, it works no questions. But i love sense... So it isnt for me. Instead i have the frequency set lower when the phone screen is off, or low, and it extended the batter from my stock (about 10 hours) to what i'm working off now (about 19 hours) ... If you don't charge your phone at night, i recommended getting a second or travel charger.

Note that there are also tons to threads out there to extend battery life on your phone. Check those out too.

How exactly do I set the frequency to lower when the screen is off? I don't see this option anywhere in setcpu.