I need some help/advice

AustinJay

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I am fairly (VERY) new in the Android world, but I want to dial my EVO (2.2) in better. (as I did with my palm pre)

I am going to root it this weekend and start tweeking it. I am slightly lost, though. There are so many options and possible errors to be made. Also, there is so much I haven't even found. (i.e that swype was hiding out there for download, torrent-able apps, etc...)

What I need help/advice with is with my set-up. All I want is to overclock (while in use), underclock (when sleep), unlock FPS, wifi tether, Cisco VPN, erase sprint's bloat-ware, new lock screen, new boot screen (nexus one look) and maybe a different looking rom. (I do like sense, but I hear it slows things down a bit.) Also, if there is a way to root and get the freaking wii controller to work. ARGGGG!!!! (very ticked about that not working.)

Well, I know I am asking for a lot. I just need to be pointed in the right direction. What is the best root method? Cyanogen, unrevoked 3, etc...

Thank you in advance.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Umm CM6 was 2.2 before the OTA was Released by Sprint... :confused:

No one is talking about 2.1 here

He's talking about the rooting method making you revert back to 2.1 for the rooting process.

2.2 isn't rootable itself, so the current method makes you roll back to 2.1, then root 2.1. When you get to the final step where it has you choose a rooting method I would go the simple root route. It's more reliable and it's full root. Then you can flash ROM's to heart's desire.

AustinJay

May 30, 2010
Visit site
He's talking about the rooting method making you revert back to 2.1 for the rooting process.

2.2 isn't rootable itself, so the current method makes you roll back to 2.1, then root 2.1. When you get to the final step where it has you choose a rooting method I would go the simple root route. It's more reliable and it's full root. Then you can flash ROM's to heart's desire.

2.2 isn't rootable yet? Crazy!

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

K got it...

2.2 isn't rootable yet? Crazy!

And no its not...

That new 1 click from the Unrevoked people is different i know...

I Still dont trust it...

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
K got it...

And no its not...

That new 1 click from the Unrevoked people is different i know...

I Still dont trust it...

I agree. I think every release that they've had has been pulled right after release for one reason or another. Now I'm not a dev like you D3 ( :cool: ) so I don't know what's all involved in what they're doing, and I give them much props for the work, but that really shakes people's confidence when you have to pull a release like that. But I know it's tricky so I don't wanna sound negative about what they're doing, but I know it's not for me right now.

anon(9334)

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Well, they had tested unrevoked3 (the new one) on many phones with great success. There are (almost) always unforeseen bugs that will occur in non-test situations, sometimes because of user error, or sometimes just something overlooked. I would think of the pull more like someone releasing a rom, and accidentally messing up the code that allows 4G to work or something. They will get everything 100%, and quick, I know these guys. I can tell you, one of the 2 people who didn't have as much luck with it was because of a corrupted misc partition flash, the same thing that I do in my rooting guide, anyone could have had that happen to their phone while following my guide.

AustinJay

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

AustinJay

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Well, that didn't work out well. I finished everything up until the actual rooting (got it back to 2.1 and everything is erased.). I can not get past it. I updated the drivers for unrevoked and I can not get to the recovery. It keeps showing me a phone with a red triangle and exclamation mark. HELP.

AustinJay

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Try simple root.

I ended up getting it to work. My fusion kept disconnecting the EVO. I have root now, but I do not know how to get CM6 on it now. Also, I do not know how to do the nandroid back up. Tried looking. And I don't know if I need to do my changes that I wanted (new boot, get root apps, delete sprint apps, etc.) before or after the rom (if I ever figure it out) or if they can be changed once the ROM is flashed.

I hate being slow with this stuff, but with a new baby in the house, the lack of sleep s catching up to me. Thanks for any help.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
So you used unrevoked? If so you won't be able to flash CM6. That would be why I recommended simple root in my earlier (on the first page) post. I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) that you can do simple root on top of unrevoked.

CM6 doesn't have the Sprint apps. As for the other stuff I'm not sure but there are threads on that. And now that you have root you can use root apps. You don't need a specific ROM for that.

AustinJay

May 30, 2010
Visit site
So you used unrevoked? If so you won't be able to flash CM6. That would be why I recommended simple root in my earlier (on the first page) post. I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) that you can do simple root on top of unrevoked.

CM6 doesn't have the Sprint apps. As for the other stuff I'm not sure but there are threads on that. And now that you have root you can use root apps. You don't need a specific ROM for that.

On that first link you sent me, I clicked on the simple root option and it gave me unrevoked options. Not the less, I am going to recover the original PC36IMG and try over again with the simple root method. I don't think unrevoked completely rooted my phone. I couldn't OC and unlock the FPS lock. I hope I don't screw anything up again. Haha...

Random question, I am going to use ADW launcher, but I could have sworn it had up to 7 home pages as an option. You aware of this at all? Thanks again for the help. My rooting confidence is going up finally.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
On that first link you sent me, I clicked on the simple root option and it gave me unrevoked options. Not the less, I am going to recover the original PC36IMG and try over again with the simple root method. I don't think unrevoked completely rooted my phone. I couldn't OC and unlock the FPS lock. I hope I don't screw anything up again. Haha...

Random question, I am going to use ADW launcher, but I could have sworn it had up to 7 home pages as an option. You aware of this at all? Thanks again for the help. My rooting confidence is going up finally.

Make sure you follow the unrooting and returning to stock sticky if you're gonna try to unroot and start over. It's a PITA. And I thought that the link that I posted gave options under step 12. I would definitely go the simple root method over unrevoked. Unrevoked (up to this point) doesn't fully unlock NAND so it wouldn't allow you to flash CM6.

I don't know much about alternate launchers. I've used mostly Sense (I like the integration) but I know that's not for everyone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer