Poll: Whose turned off by the $10 buy up for the Evo?

Are you turned off by the $10 buy up

• Total voters

blupit30

May 21, 2010
Visit site
You really should read some of my prior posts where I proved how Sprint has an inferior network even with 4g when compared to Verizon or AT&T in terms of features and abilities. Now they want to charge us for a service most of us cannot use. Atleast if someone is paying more for AT&T or Verizon they are getting more versus with Sprint they are paying more and not receiving anything new in terms of service. If someone really wants to save money they can buy an unsubsidized T-mobile HD2 and get their $59.99/month plan and you can come out head versus buying a subsidized EVO with the extra fee. I will gladly pay $10 a month for 4g service. Until I get that service I should not have to pay for it.

service with sprint maybe inferior in your secific local, but i would say for the majority of sprint users, the service is outstanding. as a union boilermaker, i travel all over the u.s. and have nvr, i repeat nvr had an issue with coverage.
in cincinnati ohio we will get 4g in dec. but i dont really care about it. wat ppl fail to understand is that is device specific. and the ammount of data this phone will use be it 3g or 4g will double if not triple. all because of one device. every one will see once the icrap 4g comes out that our 10 dollars will no doubt be a gift. everytime a new device comes out ppl find something to bitch about. why not let the phone hit and then see what everyone thinks. what if the phone is blazing fast with just 3g? faster than what ppl have now. its been said by many, if 10 is too much for ppl then this is not the phone for those ppl.those of us in the know, will gladly pay 10 dollars and laugh at those who are dumb enough to chill with icrap and att,vz, or whoever else charges in excess of 30 dollars for less.
features and abblities are more of a hardware and os issue rather than carrier, and evo has both of those mastered. and why pay extra for talking and surfing at the same time when i can do that for free on the now network. my palm pre is awesome but im willing to give android a shot. with what as of june 4th is the best device on the market hands down.

Last edited:

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
There is no doubting that this is a great phone and in many ways it's worth paying a little extra for. I for one am really excited that Sprint isn't charging some ridiculous price for it like they did with the Touch Pro 2 ($$449-$100MIR w/ 2 yr contract) when it came out, I didn't get the TP2 cause I refused to pay that much for a phone!!

The thing is Sprint needs to be careful here because of their past reputation. For many people, the only reason they are with Sprint is cause of their cheap prices and if they start raising prices to the point where they match the other carriers they better also get their act together and provide the customer support and service to also match the other carriers... or they're going to lose even more customers. I've been with Sprint for a long time and for the past few years I wouldn't even bother calling their customer support because I knew it was going to be a waste of my time. Although I do think they are getting better... and I'm going to renew my contract with them and get the EVO because it is a great phone and their plans are still cheaper (even tho I don't like paying more cause I don't have 4G) with the EVO. BUT... if things don't change with them in the next 2 years there is going to be a point where cheap prices is not worth cheap customer support and service.

Last edited:

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
service with sprint maybe inferior in your secific local, but i would say for the majority of sprint users, the service is outstanding. as a union boilermaker, i travel all over the u.s. and have nvr, i repeat nvr had an issue with coverage.
in cincinnati ohio we will get 4g in dec. but i dont really care about it. wat ppl fail to understand is that is device specific. and the ammount of data this phone will use be it 3g or 4g will double if not triple. all because of one device. every one will see once the icrap 4g comes out that our 10 dollars will no doubt be a gift. everytime a new device comes out ppl find something to bitch about. why not let the phone hit and then see what everyone thinks. what if the phone is blazing fast with just 3g? faster than what ppl have now. its been said by many, if 10 is too much for ppl then this is not the phone for those ppl.those of us in the know, will gladly pay 10 dollars and laugh at those who are dumb enough to chill with icrap and att,vz, or whoever else charges in excess of 30 dollars for less.
features and abblities are more of a hardware and os issue rather than carrier, and evo has both of those mastered. and why pay extra for talking and surfing at the same time when i can do that for free on the now network. my palm pre is awesome but im willing to give android a shot. with what as of june 4th is the best device on the market hands down.

Sprint's service is inferior depending on what your looking for. Is it 3g coverage or simultaneous voice and data? Sprint cannot offer it or simply doesn't on as a large scale as its competitors currently do. Your 3g data argument is weak because you already pay for that data in your "everything" plan. I guess Sprint needs to rename it to the "everything but" plan. Even then, you refer to the EVO as the best phone on the market yet cnet rates it second to the incredible. Don't forget that by the time you get 4g coverage in your area in December Sprint will already have a successor to the Evo considering new versions of phones like the EVO are released every 6 months or so. What if they don't charge the $10 to those phones, but you are still paying it? As stated before if Sprint charged me for that service I would pay for it assuming I am receiving it. My grievance is with the fact that I would pay for a service yet not receive it. I am even moreso annoyed with the fact that they cover it up with marketing dogma like comparing this phone to a high definition television, and calling it "premium" data. Its all BS when you boil it down, and I hope Sprint knows its customers understand this. Of course if they are listening to customers like you they can smile that the ignorance they hoped to spread over this charge has proliferated enough that it won't matter if they push customers like me away.

Last edited:

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Sprint's service is inferior depending on what your looking for. Is it 3g coverage or simultaneous voice and data? Sprint cannot offer it or simply doesn't on as a large scale as its competitors currently do. Your 3g data argument is weak because you already pay for that data in your "everything" plan. I guess Sprint needs to rename it to the "everything but" plan. Even then, you refer to the EVO as the best phone on the market yet cnet rates it second to the incredible. Don't forget that by the time you get 4g coverage in your area in December Sprint will already have a successor to the Evo considering new versions of phones like the EVO are released every 6 months or so. What if they don't charge the $10 to those phones, but you are still paying it? As stated before if Sprint charged me for that service I would pay for it assuming I am receiving it. My grievance is with the fact that I would pay for a service yet not receive it. I am even moreso annoyed with the fact that they cover it up with marketing dogma like comparing this phone to a high definition television, and calling it "premium" data. Its all BS when you boil it down, and I hope Sprint knows its customers understand this. Of course if they are listening to customers like you they can smile that the ignorance they hoped to spread over this charge has proliferated enough that it won't matter if they push customers like me away.

Come on. We all know that CNET (and everyone else out there) is a Verizon lover. If a phone came out on Sprint, and the same exact phone came out on Verizon a month later, that phone would automatically have higher ratings. Verizon has done what every business wishes to do: fool people. I'm not anti-corporation or anything like that, I'm just being honest. Apple does it, Verizon does it... all the huge companies do it. People refuse to listen to reason, and that's why you have people paying DOUBLE what they should (hem hem Verizon).

Look, Verizon has a gigantic 3G network, and it works. I can't say anything bad about that. However, most people don't travel the entire 50 states every year, meaning they stay mostly in one place. In my mind, if Sprint offers good service in your area (which they DO in every area they are at), then there is not question about it. If Sprint offers service where you live, work, and play, then Sprint should be your top choice (being general here, not including choice of phone). I understand that Verizon's network is very large, but in reality, Sprint's network is not much smaller. I mean, Sprint's 4G network is catching up (and will surpass) to the size of ATT's and T-Mobile's 3G networks! ATT has a much smaller 3G footprint than does Sprint, making Sprint the second largest 3G network in the US. I thin that's worth $80 a month.

Sure, ATT allows for simultaneous voice and data, a very nice benefit. But really, are you willing to pay DOUBLE what Sprint charges just for that one feature? If you are, then great go ahead and do it. But I think most people can be smarter than that. That is THE ONLY thing ATT has over Sprint.

Sprint offers much more in the data packages than verizon or ATT. Are people forgetting that navigation is an extra $10 on ATT and Verizon, but included in Sprint's data package? How about TV (which I do use a lot)? Or Music videos (VCast, ATT Music) that cost $10, but Sprint includes? Sprint gives you a much better package.

Because of this, I will gladly pay Sprint $80 (minus my discount of 18%) to get an Evo. I would have to pay DOUBLE to get the same features on Verizon or ATT.

In my mind, Verizon can kind of back their price up with the vast size of their 3G network. ATT? I don't think they have ANY reason to charge as much as they do.

As a final point, the data you pay for in Sprint's Everything Plans are capped at 5GB. The Evo plan is never capped. It is an actual unlimited plan for both 3G and 4G usage. YouTube HQ, Qik Streaming, Video Chat, etc... will all require much more data, which is expensive to the carrier. Also, note that the Evo is being offered for $200 with contract. They are subsidizing the HECK out of that phone, further justifying the $10. Think about it. The Droid on Verizon is STILL $200. Which would you choose?

Sprint is the best deal. Period. I don't think there is any argument about it.

EDIT:

Forgot the BIGGEST benefit of them all:

Premier status. Tell me of another company that will allow you the privilege of upgrading EVERY year. There isn't any. This alone would make me pay the extra $10 per month. Honestly, I don't know how SPrint is managing to afford this. Usually, a wireless carrier will even out in 9 months in order to make up for the loss in subsidies. That means about 3 months of profit per year that Sprint is getting. I look at my phone and I think: "Thank you Sprint. For not allowing me to get bored with ONE device for 2 years of my life." I seriously love that I can upgrade every year. That makes my day.

Last edited:

jxc

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
agreed, we already pay for unlimited data, why should we pay extra for the real unlimited data which we thought we were getting this whole time???

they should advertise the current offerings as FAKE unlimited data if they are going to that $10 extra BS when i dont even have 4g coverage yet

blupit30

May 21, 2010
Visit site
the ignorance of some ppl makes me chuckle. its this simple, the 10 dollars i just for the evo, if you dont wanna pay it then dont get the phone. period! its not brain surgery, if i dont like carrots, guess what, i dont buy carrots. for those of us who want the BEST, we will pay it. and do so while laughing and pointing @ those who scoffed @ 10 dollars.

its really tiring to keep hearing from all you fanboys of appl and big red. if you dont like sprint then dont use them. i get voice and data at the same time on my pre , with sprint. so idk what is wrong with others not getting this service. i reiterate the fact that everytime a good phone hits, the fanboys come out of the woodwork and bash minor points of disconcernment. are you guys really worried this time that someone actually made a superior phone to the icrap? i cant wait to hear form you all when att and vz roll out their new 4g phone. they prob will have to use sprint and wimax's service and you all are gonna **** when you see the mark up you get then. and we will see who comes praising sprint and the minor 10 dollar fee.
and i think the biggest point ppl are missinig ( and some ppl keep dancing around) is the fact that even in an all 3g market this phone will still decimate all. your gonna get better speeds and use a **** ton more data . all because of the capabilities of this phone.

so heres an idea, if your not gonna get the phone then stop bitching. if you are gonna get the phone and only have a 3g market , wait and see what the phone can do. run some tests, then if your not happy then return the phone and go back into the stone age. im gonna go out on a limb and say that once ppl have this in hand, it will be ok. untill then stop bashing something you dont understand. we are in the unknown at this point. lets see what comes of the coverage.

chazm

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Premier status. Tell me of another company that will allow you the privilege of upgrading EVERY year. There isn't any. This alone would make me pay the extra $10 per month. Honestly, I don't know how SPrint is managing to afford this. Usually, a wireless carrier will even out in 9 months in order to make up for the loss in subsidies. That means about 3 months of profit per year that Sprint is getting. I look at my phone and I think: "Thank you Sprint. For not allowing me to get bored with ONE device for 2 years of my life." I seriously love that I can upgrade every year. That makes my day.

Even though I voted "Not turned off by the $10" in the poll.

This isn't true. I upgraded my phone every year with AT&T....now I am switching to sprint and don't mind the $10 extra per month. Better than my $123/month bill with at&t

DarkSideJunkie

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Not turned off at all either. Sprint still has the best all around pricing for voice and data. (With text messaging included...I'm looking at you AT&T...) An extra 10 is still cheaper than the competition and there is 4g available where I live..Oh Yeah! I can see how one might be mad though if they live in a non-4g city/area.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
There is no doubting that this is a great phone and in many ways it's worth paying a little extra for. I for one am really excited that Sprint isn't charging some ridiculous price for it like they did with the Touch Pro 2 ($$449-$100MIR w/ 2 yr contract) when it came out, I didn't get the TP2 cause I refused to pay that much for a phone!!

They're still charging a lot for the EVO. You're just spreading it out. Adding another $120 a year to the price and it goes on for past when you would have equalled the price of the TP2. $199+$240=$439 for the first 2 years.

It only really makes sense if you get superior data rates but sometimes we do things that don't make sense.

I'm getting the EVO because I want it and can afford it. Yes I'm annoyed that there is no 4G in San Diego and don't know when it's coming. Sprint can call the fee whatever they want but it is still a surcharge to get this device. Other devices can use just as much data over 3G so that's not the real reason. It's a stealth (or not so stealth) move to raise their rates without having to say it. I work in an industry that spins prices like cotton candy and it irks me when we do it to our customers as well.

TheOnlyMorgan

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I see it like this. We are paying for Sprint's investment into WiMax and more specifically, the mobile phone birth of WiMAX in the US that officially starts June 4th with the EVO. They are putting a lot into this phone, Google has put a lot into this phone and HTC helps get it all done. Sprint is pumping money into this phone to bring them into the green, and they combined with all of the investors into Clear(Google included) have and continue to put money into WiMAX. Advancements in technology happen ALL THE TIME and there's a premium placed on those advancements. Both WiMAX and LTE are set to theoretically rival and be viable alternatives to home internet and home phone services.

Hell..Verizon has stated just last year that they believe they'll come to a tiered service for data packages. You really don't think they're going to up the price or at least change the pricing structure of plans when LTE devices come out? They've talked about changing the data packages from all you can eat add-ons to choice of how much data you feel you'll use in a given month. These networks cost a lot of money to put in, as the goal is definitely to eventually do away with the very expensive and certainly large(as a network and physical infrastructure) CDMA and EVDO networks for these much cheaper and smaller systems.

An example I think of when I think of this $10 jump per month for 4G is when the Xbox 360 pricing was announced 5 years ago. As a formerly avid gamer, I remember a lot of people were PISSED that the console everyone expected it to be was $400, and that there was a lesser model on top of that(tiered choices) for a hundred dollars less. Many jumped right in as quite a few people always do with new technology and entertainment but there's always that group of people who waits it out, and by now everyone who has waited it out have already bought up the hardware as the prices came down. And the PS3 even people were outraged at the premium being $100-$200 more expensive than what the 360 came in at, and the only real extra out of it was a Blu-ray drive.

Eventually prices are gonna come down and eventually when several carriers have their 4G networks launched, people are going to come down and bite the hook for the new services. The premium to me is definitely justified when I think about what Sprint and all the companies involved with WiMAX development and the marketing of this phone and the costs of the device itself are going to do to their bottom line. The buck doesn't stop really and we can't expect everything to come to us for free.

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I see it like this. We are paying for Sprint's investment into WiMax and more specifically, the mobile phone birth of WiMAX in the US that officially starts June 4th with the EVO. They are putting a lot into this phone, Google has put a lot into this phone and HTC helps get it all done. Sprint is pumping money into this phone to bring them into the green, and they combined with all of the investors into Clear(Google included) have and continue to put money into WiMAX. Advancements in technology happen ALL THE TIME and there's a premium placed on those advancements. Both WiMAX and LTE are set to theoretically rival and be viable alternatives to home internet and home phone services.

Hell..Verizon has stated just last year that they believe they'll come to a tiered service for data packages. You really don't think they're going to up the price or at least change the pricing structure of plans when LTE devices come out? They've talked about changing the data packages from all you can eat add-ons to choice of how much data you feel you'll use in a given month. These networks cost a lot of money to put in, as the goal is definitely to eventually do away with the very expensive and certainly large(as a network and physical infrastructure) CDMA and EVDO networks for these much cheaper and smaller systems.

An example I think of when I think of this $10 jump per month for 4G is when the Xbox 360 pricing was announced 5 years ago. As a formerly avid gamer, I remember a lot of people were PISSED that the console everyone expected it to be was $400, and that there was a lesser model on top of that(tiered choices) for a hundred dollars less. Many jumped right in as quite a few people always do with new technology and entertainment but there's always that group of people who waits it out, and by now everyone who has waited it out have already bought up the hardware as the prices came down. And the PS3 even people were outraged at the premium being $100-$200 more expensive than what the 360 came in at, and the only real extra out of it was a Blu-ray drive.

Eventually prices are gonna come down and eventually when several carriers have their 4G networks launched, people are going to come down and bite the hook for the new services. The premium to me is definitely justified when I think about what Sprint and all the companies involved with WiMAX development and the marketing of this phone and the costs of the device itself are going to do to their bottom line. The buck doesn't stop really and we can't expect everything to come to us for free.

I don't think anyone here is against having to pay more for 4g service. With all new endeavors it takes time and lots of money to bring a network like 4g to consumers. The problem here is that those of us who don't currently receive 4g, or worse yet aren't scheduled to see it in their area, are going to have to pay for that same 4g service someone living in Chicago gets to enjoy every time they use their phone. Worse yet Sprint has covered this up calling the charge a "premium data charge" when in reality a Hero can do many if not all the things an EVO can do except access 4g and there is no "premium data charge" for it. To me it shows Sprint has little respect for its customers, but given the number of people on here stating how gladly they will pay this ridiculous fee I suppose that lack of respect has its own basis.

silvilas

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Not turned off at all by the extra $10 fee. Reading this and seeing some of the negative remarks about moving to an Iphone, etc. just makes me laugh. As my iphone-toting in-laws openly scoff at my Pre for their "superior" phone, wait until I blow the iphone out of the water with the EVO in 10 days. EVO's hardware is far superior, in my opinion, and the speed of 4G in my area, add to that the cost of what I'm paying (even including the $10) will be less than AT&T prices. Who doesn't want the best phone on the market?

$10...really? I look at it this way (and you can villify me all you want, but you would do the same) I would gladly pay the door fee at a strip club because that's the price of admission. I know what I'm getting there. Same applies here for me. The price I pay for a membership somewhere to get all the benefits associated with that membership is worth it to me. So is this $10 fee...

blupit30

May 21, 2010
Visit site
heres the thing for all the evo and sprint bashers

even if you are only in a 3g market, THE EVO WILL DO MORE AND USE MORE DATA! AND IT WILL DO SO FASTER THAN A REG 3G ONLY DEVICE!
the thing you will be able to do with this phone including but not limited to streaming live 720 hd video, video chat, upload 8 mp photos. do you guys rerally believe that you wont use more data?
ive said it once and ill say it again, b4 ppl bash and put down a f'n 10 dollar fee, wait and see wat your personally gonna get from the device. i would be willing to bet that even in an all 3g market this phone will still decimate all! run some test when you get the phone then you will have actual evidence to present. then you can talk to sprint with proof. and if it dosent work for you then b4 30 days give it back. then you can have your 10 dollars to go spend. just dont blow your fortune all in one place. and if you got to vz or att that massive 10 dollars will get you about a mont of txt's. have fun with that.

TheOnlyMorgan

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I kinda feel like if you're getting this phone and not uploading HD videos or using the front facing camera for some qikcasting, then you might as well just have a Hero or other 3G smartphone. I see myself using a lot of the features of this phone, and knowing that they won't penalize me for doing it over 3G as well, hell they wouldn't penalize me right now for using lots of 3G data on my Blackberry as long as I did it on the phone itself, the phone's just gonna be good stuff eh.

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
heres the thing for all the evo and sprint bashers

even if you are only in a 3g market, THE EVO WILL DO MORE AND USE MORE DATA! AND IT WILL DO SO FASTER THAN A REG 3G ONLY DEVICE!
the thing you will be able to do with this phone including but not limited to streaming live 720 hd video, video chat, upload 8 mp photos. do you guys rerally believe that you wont use more data?
ive said it once and ill say it again, b4 ppl bash and put down a f'n 10 dollar fee, wait and see wat your personally gonna get from the device. i would be willing to bet that even in an all 3g market this phone will still decimate all! run some test when you get the phone then you will have actual evidence to present. then you can talk to sprint with proof. and if it dosent work for you then b4 30 days give it back. then you can have your 10 dollars to go spend. just dont blow your fortune all in one place. and if you got to vz or att that massive 10 dollars will get you about a mont of txt's. have fun with that.

What part of unlimited data do you not understand? Also, I have read on these forums that the phone will not upload HD video while on a 3g connection. So there goes another "premium" service that you get to pay for but not use unless your lucky enough to live in a 4g market.

Last edited:

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
No..you're going to be able to do everything you can on 3G that you can on 4G. Video chat, Youtube HQ video, etc.

I still believe it should be covered under the "unlimited data" plan that we are already paying for. I know there is a 5gb cap, but if I go over that than charge me, otherwise they need to stop with the stupid "premium data charge" to those of us who do not live in 4g markets.

TheOnlyMorgan

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Someone on here showed their data usage of with their phone going over 5GB a few months out of their service and never being charged extra for it. They only explicitly state a 5GB cap on Sprint for 3G mobile broadband services, same isn't said for phone data usage. It's possible that there's no cap on phone data usage whatsoever.

MasoudMax

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I am a little bit, but because I need a real "phone" (voice and data, traveling every week) I'll pay the $10 and give the Sprint a 30 days try-out. If more people pay for the extra $10 then may be Sprint provides better services, more 4G coverage and take care of us better down the road.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non