4G Network Connection Dropping

clmssun

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
My EVO 4G keeps dropping its 4G network connection. I can activate 4G and the phone will pick up a 4G network signal (Cleveland, Ohio); I can use internet applications for a little while (10 minutes?) and then the speed/integrity of the network connection deteriorates. If I then go to my "4G activation" icon -- The screen to the left of the main home screen which includes 4G, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS icons -- I will immediately see "4G" change from "4G active" to "4G inactive" (even though I had already observed the performance degradation and the disappearance of the 4G icon at the top of my screen). If I then reactivate 4G, I can repeat this sequence forever.

EDIT: If actively using an internet application when 4G performance deteriorates, network connection reverts to 3G. If phone has been "sleeping", network connectivity is entirely lost.

I have repeatedly "Updated profile" and "Updated PRL" as I have observed those updates to help with network problems in the past, but they don't seem to be helping this one.

My phone:
Unrevoked
Android 2.2
Baseband 2.15.00.11.19
Kernel 2.6.32.17-gee557fd htc-kernel@and18-2 #15
Build 3.70.651.1 CL294884 release-keys
Software 3.70.651.1
Browser WebKit 3.1
PRI Version 1.90_003
PRL Version 60681

I primarily rooted this phone for Wi-Fi tether purposes. I have done little -- and I understand little -- about exploiting the power of this phone through root. Right now, I'd just like to be able to use my 4G internet reliably, without having to reinitialize every ten minutes.:)

I would greatly appreciate any insight and fixes you can offer. Thanks!

psychofox13

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Since it looks like you haven't updated at all (probably because you're rooted), you most likely need to update your radio and wimax versions. When doing this, I also recommend getting either the latest stock rooted ROM, or using an AOSP ROM like CyanogenMod. CyanogenMod does have 4G capabilities with nearly double the space for apps. AOSP is stock Android and has no HTC Sense.

Click here for the updated versions.

I recommend the all-in-one. Just flash the zip via recovery ROM Manager (if you're using Clockwork Mod Recovery)

The reason I suggest updating to a more current Stock ROM or an AOSP ROM is because you might run into some issues with the new versions you'll be installing. Some people do, some people don't. Personally, I haven't, but there is a lot to gain from updating to Android 2.3.

clmssun

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Thank you, psychofox13. I have just done the update and things look to be improved now.

As I said in the first post, I have rooted my phone (for wireless tether) but I am very much a novice with the commands and powers of my rooted Evo.

I downloaded the .zip file using my Evo Dolphin browser and placed the .zip file in my /mnt/sdcard directory, then "QuickBoot"-ed into recovery mode to install it.

In the course of trying to do this, I ended up reading stuff about adb. I (nominally) installed the android sdk onto my Ubuntu system and added the platform-tools directory. I had my Evo connected via USB. I was unable to push (another copy of) the file from my Ubuntu PC to my EVO; I tried with USB Debugging "on" and "off". (I would fail due to either "inadequate permissions" or "device not found").

My wireless tether works. I (believe I) successfully flashed this update. I have several applications which have been granted su access, according to my Superuser Permission app. Why, from your perspective, was I not able to "abd push" successfully?

Thank you very much for your help here.

psychofox13

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, I don't use ADB. I did once before and it worked for me (back when rooting the phone was a little bit harder), but now that I can do everything through my recovery manager (I use AmonRA Recovery but Clockwork Mod Recovery works just as good), I don't ever need ADB.

With ADB, you are supposed to have USB Debugging set to ON. What could be causing the issue, I think, would be your stock ROM, but I honestly am not sure. :-\

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member