Anyone worried?!?!?!?!

May 17, 2010
Visit site
is anyone worried that evo in 6months or more will be old hardware news similar the droid and other android phones especially when they start making phones with tegra 2 chips? Just a thought because if i get the evo i want it to last the 2yrs on my contract and still be considered new technology not just some old hardware

RedhddOne

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Your bright and shiny Evo (and mine) will be a dinosaur in 6 months... and that's about the time you can start drooling at the rumors of the "next big thing" and wait for it to arrive.

It's the vicious cycle. It's easier to just sit back and enjoy the ride. ;)

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
The Droid still performs really well. It even got clocked past 1ghz... so I'm pretty sure we'll see something for the Evo/Incredible.
And.. the Droid will get Froyo.

So... I think that big-name Android phones like this will still be perfectly fine a year from now, if not two.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
2 Years? With the plan you will have to own an Evo you should be a Premier customer in no time and should be eligible for a new full upgrade in a years time.

The way I look at things right now, the Evo is exactly what I want. It's on a ever growing platform, not a newcomer underdog like my Pre. Eventhough I can upgrade phones every year, I think I will keep the Evo 2 years, just because I want to get my mind blown by the phone that will replace the Evo, and I don't think that will happen within a years time. There will be a lot of phones with similar or slightly better specs, there will be a Snapdragon 1.5 that will be even better for mobile gaming, there will be two more versions of Android, all in the coming year. Is that enough to blow my mind compared to the Evo? Probably not. Then again, I might eat my own words one year from now while I stand at Best Buy Pre Ordering the next big thing.

Also, since I plan on staying with Sprint, I am sort of limiting my choice of phones. I just like their plans and services too much to leave them. So, for now, Sprint has the coolest phone out there, lets hope Dan and the Gang can keep up the good work and will continue to carry kickin' devices like the Evo.

So no, for now, I am not worried. I am a realist and know that there will always be something bigger and better and you won't have the top device very long. But after a while you do realize that the other device that is edging out your former top dog really isn't that much better, once you do see a big difference, it's time to upgrade. In the case from the Pre to the Evo, there is a huge difference, I get the speed I want, still get the 3d Games the Pre was just starting to get, I get Visual voicemail, much better Google Maps and other Google Apps, I get a much better camera, actually 2 of them, I get a huge screen....yeah, I'd call that a significant upgrade, which is why I am doing it.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Something comes in a year and we'll be eligible to upgrade and we'll rinse and repeat. You want to see "progress regret"? Ask any serious PC gamer how much they've spent on video cards over the past 10 years. After they stop crying, they'll tell you numbers that will curl your hair.

When I was shopping for my first PC in 1997, I kept hesitating and fretting because it seemed that something faster and cheaper was just over the horizon. A clerk at Computer City told me something that made elegant sense for all things technological; he said, "Technology is like a river that is always moving and bringing newer, faster things along. Eventually you'll just have to jump in sometime." This guy should be sitting in a Himalayan cave somewhere dispensing wisdom.

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I never hold on to my phones for 2 years on a contract. I usually upgrade/update my phone every year to a year and a couple of months. I get bored easily.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Something comes in a year and we'll be eligible to upgrade and we'll rinse and repeat. You want to see "progress regret"? Ask any serious PC gamer how much they've spent on video cards over the past 10 years. After they stop crying, they'll tell you numbers that will curl your hair.

When I was shopping for my first PC in 1997, I kept hesitating and fretting because it seemed that something faster and cheaper was just over the horizon. A clerk at Computer City told me something that made elegant sense for all things technological; he said, "Technology is like a river that is always moving and bringing newer, faster things along. Eventually you'll just have to jump in sometime." This guy should be sitting in a Himalayan cave somewhere dispensing wisdom.

After I saw my first Xbox 360 in action, I stopped upgrading my computer.

Droidus Maximus

May 31, 2010
www.RedBaklava.com
Your bright and shiny Evo (and mine) will be a dinosaur in 6 months... and that's about the time you can start drooling at the rumors of the "next big thing" and wait for it to arrive.

It's the vicious cycle. It's easier to just sit back and enjoy the ride. ;)

I totally agree. I'm not getting the EVO because it's the best thing out, I'm getting it because it does all the things I need in a phone. If a new beast comes out in six months I'm ok with it.

808dee

May 26, 2010
dee808.blogspot.com
with the hardware in the beast it should keep you up to the time for the 2 years and with the os getting updates your phone should be good to go. the biggest difference with the phones now is the updated os older phone back in the day was stuck with the hardware and the os and caused the phones to be out dated fast. if a bigger and badder phone comes out in 6 months then so be it but think about what kind of phones there going to have after 2 year when the contract on the evo's start to end what will sprint come out with then to keep us hook or what the other providers will have for LTE in 2 years. just get the evo now and be happy now and sit back and watch for the new stuff.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
with the hardware in the beast it should keep you up to the time for the 2 years and with the os getting updates your phone should be good to go. the biggest difference with the phones now is the updated os older phone back in the day was stuck with the hardware and the os and caused the phones to be out dated fast. if a bigger and badder phone comes out in 6 months then so be it but think about what kind of phones there going to have after 2 year when the contract on the evo's start to end what will sprint come out with then to keep us hook or what the other providers will have for LTE in 2 years. just get the evo now and be happy now and sit back and watch for the new stuff.

Totally agree.

Also, unlike in the PC world were Windows updates slow down computers, Android and other mobile os updates actually make the phones better.

stolirocks

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
is anyone worried that evo in 6months or more will be old hardware news similar the droid and other android phones especially when they start making phones with tegra 2 chips? Just a thought because if i get the evo i want it to last the 2yrs on my contract and still be considered new technology not just some old hardware

Not worried at all, in fact I fully expect and hope it will be surpassed in 6-12 months. I'll buy the next evo in a year anyway.

Shawheim

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
im not worried at all. i love android. i stayed with sprint and bought the Hero. that was 6 months ago. it was the hottest thing out for sprint then. now im gettin the Evo on friday. i couldnt be happier about it. in 6 months when the next hot android phone for sprint comes out, i will prob buy that too. androids progress in the cellphone industry is just ridiculous. its taking over the world!

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not worried about it. It's true that in a few months the next big thing will start to
makes it way. But it's just something you come to expect now from tech.

antianalog

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
i'm with Sprint and this is the best phone in their inventory. If they release a better phone next year that suits me I'll get it. If they don't I'll stick with what I like.

njbianco#AC

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Its technology and its expected that if you buy the latest and greatest 6 months later something else will be the latest as greatest thats just how it is.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Its technology and its expected that if you buy the latest and greatest 6 months later something else will be the latest as greatest thats just how it is.

Exactly, just the way it is. Way it's always been - just was never this frequent. Gotta pay to play...

paga912

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I upgrade every year anyway so its no big deal to me because the evo does everything I want it to do and its huge…and im getting an ipad in a few weeks so i will be cool..but look at it this way. not everyone will be able to get an evo so in a year when the new best thing out comes out, just sell the evo to someone who doesnt have one and then you can upgrade