Evo to iPhone?

sydney94

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm not close to upgrading het, seeing as I can't until August 2012, but I want to be prepared to make a decision this time around. I know between know and August there will be a lot more new phones coming out, but I want to know if the iPhone is better. Everyone seems to have one, but I want to have an opinion from someone who went from EVO to iPhone. Is it really as good as everyone makes it out to be? I loved my iPod touch, but I want to know what the phones like. I've played on them before, but I've only used one an hour tops. Am I going to get bored or angry with it easily? Apple always seems to have new updates and I don't want to get angry with it. I love my EVO, but I don't want it to stop working or stop updates. I love Android, but is Apple better? Again, I know a lot new phones will come out, but I just want opinions about now. Do you think they'll keep going with the EVO like Apple has with iPhone?

Thanks for your opinions!!

some0guy0

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Apple has great product control and support for older product models so your definitely getting a good deal. I really doubt that the evo is going to have support for much longer as the newer phones start coming out that HTC wants you to buy instead. The big downside to me is the operating system, I personally dont like the apple operating system in comparison to android. I also dont like the single button design that supposedly boasts simplicity. In reality the more simple you make something, the less it can do.

asd216

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
The Evo4G has reached its end. The last update which was last week, is the last update it will get. Our best bet are the developers creating new and exciting ROMs. However, with the newer and more powerful phones being released, I foresee the Evo4G being obsolete in 6 months. :(

Reactions: ScandaLeX

tide_rulz

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The Android model for phones is to not support. Why update older phones when they can almost force you to buy a newer one sooner. Manufacturers would prefer you buy a new one.

tiggrev

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
<rant>

Ah, the wonderful age of disposable consumer electronics! :p

Whether it's Apple or Android, you're expected to toss the old one every 9-12 months and belly up to the bar for that new, improved, thinner, faster, cooler version to impress your friends (who really aren't impressed at all).

iPhones "always seem to have new updates"? Really? It took them 4 versions to get notifications. And they still don't have 4G, widgets, or an accessible file system, just to name a few. My 3 buddies with iPhones haven't yet made it through a full year without getting in line to buy the next iPhone "upgrade".

Look, my EVO is almost 2 years old and still does everything I want it to do. There's no compelling reason to upgrade unless I drop the thing down a sewer hole. And hey, if the kid next door teases me with his brand new toy, I can always smile and say I'm waiting to get NEXT month's new model which will blow his away!

</rant>

Sorry. Morning coffee just kicked in...

Last edited:
Reactions: jalaazul

denisew1972

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Wish there was a "like" button for tiggrev ;) Well said. I was going to switch recently until the guy at Best Buy told me I wouldn't be able to customize anymore. Call me crazy but I like my phone to be personal and to scream "me" when I unlock it. Not look like everyone elses phone. That alone changed my mind. Thank you Best Buy guy!

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Wish there was a "like" button for tiggrev ;) Well said. I was going to switch recently until the guy at Best Buy told me I wouldn't be able to customize anymore. Call me crazy but I like my phone to be personal and to scream "me" when I unlock it. Not look like everyone elses phone. That alone changed my mind. Thank you Best Buy guy!

Totally agree with this! That's exactly the reason I just sold my iPhone 4 and got the epic touch 4G. I love being able to customize my phone so it won't look like anybody else's..and the iPhone has a small screen, which is another negative in my book

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Totally agree with this! That's exactly the reason I just sold my iPhone 4 and got the epic touch 4G. I love being able to customize my phone so it won't look like anybody else's..and the iPhone has a small screen, which is another negative in my book

And no 4G. Like you, I love the customization and being able to "show off" my phone. My coworkers sometimes try to show me their iPhone, and I really don't care...you've seen one you've seen them all. They all look exactly the same, with a different wallpaper and the icons arranged differently.

I don't mind the iPhone, but it is what it is. You get a bit more stability and consistency, but at the cost of them completely locking you out of everything.

I also personally just don't like Apple's attitude towards consumers, which comes off as condescending and borderline insulting:
  1. You're too stupid to use Flash
  2. You're too stupid to have access to your file system
  3. You're too stupid to customize your phone
  4. You're too stupid to allow you to change your default browser
  5. You're too stupid to allow you to use a different keyboard.
...etc. I hate being told I'm stupid.

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
And no 4G. Like you, I love the customization and being able to "show off" my phone. My coworkers sometimes try to show me their iPhone, and I really don't care...you've seen one you've seen them all. They all look exactly the same, with a different wallpaper and the icons arranged differently.

I don't mind the iPhone, but it is what it is. You get a bit more stability and consistency, but at the cost of them completely locking you out of everything.

I also personally just don't like Apple's attitude towards consumers, which comes off as condescending and borderline insulting:
  1. You're too stupid to use Flash
  2. You're too stupid to have access to your file system
  3. You're too stupid to customize your phone
  4. You're too stupid to allow you to change your default browser
  5. You're too stupid to allow you to use a different keyboard.
...etc. I hate being told I'm stupid.

Have to agree totally with this.....here at my job I've had (8) former Iphone user switch to an android based phone (in the almost 2 years) I ve had my evo.....simply put. they like the "me" factor of the andriod system...everyone opens there phone and its set up different....and for those that are rooted....there are plenty.....AND I MEAN OF ROMS FOR THE EVO.........constantly updated.....so when I want a new phone....I "flash" one

rambo3865

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
hi i have had my evo since 2010 and in dec of 2011 i decided to upgrade to the iphone 4s from sprint . i have to admit it was an utter disappointment,coming from a 4g phone with ins that covered you even if the phone was lost or stolen ,operating system fast and responsive,nice size screen to watch videos and movies . i kept my iphone for two months ,( first) siri was a waste barely used it (two) screen too small(three) apple system way too slow on 3g ,(four) apple care ins only for two years and no more ,and it only covers repair and service, so if you lose the iphone or its stolen you pay full price for a new one ,iphone 4s 16 gb is at least $ 600 without an upgrade ! for me it was a no brainer,i sold my iphone for $400 dollars ,and am now back happily with my htc evo 4g good thing i still had it to come back to . btw i paid $ 200 at time of upgrade ! lol $200 dollar profit ,and back on my htc ! lol:):)

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site

Interestingly enough, no ones phone screams me until it's unlocked so in essence, we all have the same phones.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

VWCC

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I had an iPhone, and it was my first smartphone, and I was amazed at how much it could do. Then I saw someone with an Evo 4g, and I was like :eek:!! Imo, Android o.s.can do Soooooo mucch more than the iPhone. Now my iPhone is just a paperweight sitting on my desk at work.

Sent from a rooted payphone using Taptalk

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
After having used my EVO for 2 years now there's no way I would go to an iPhone. You will see why after a day or so on iOS versus Android. It's so simple a child could use it for a reason. ;)

Sent from the greatest HTC EVO 4G ever made!!!

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Interestingly enough, no ones phone screams me until it's unlocked so in essence, we all have the same phones.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I don't know what you're talking about? Do you mean you don't think you can customize your lock screen?

if so, ha. Ha, I say.

I didn't say anything about not being able to customize. The average user knows nothing about jail braking or rooting- they use their phones as they rec'd it out the box which as I stated means we all start off with the same phone and thats what many forum members seem to forget. Unless someone is looking over your shoulder, they'd have no idea just how different your phone may actually be.

Ha ha bac'atcha!!

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
I didn't say anything about not being able to customize. The average user knows nothing about jail braking or rooting- they use their phones as they rec'd it out the box which as I stated means we all start off with the same phone and thats what many forum members seem to forget. Unless someone is looking over your shoulder, they'd have no idea just how different your phone may actually be.

Ha ha bac'atcha!!

I think you miss the point. Android is MUCH more customizable right out of the box without rooting and of course rooting takes it to another level. IPhone UI is so boring.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Central Forums

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I think you miss the point. Android is MUCH more customizable right out of the box without rooting and of course rooting takes it to another level. IPhone UI is so boring.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Central Forums

I didn't miss any points.

Tap'n from my White SGT2 7.0 SE

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I didn't miss any points.

Tap'n from my White SGT2 7.0 SE

Let's just end it and say, you, the iPhone fanboy, there is an Apple forum for you to say all you want about it there. But yes, Android has a waaaay more customizeable UI at stock and many features at stock that the iPhone can't keep up with. Haha, "bac'atcha!!".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87