EVO 4G - how's the GPS, and can it USB tether?

dburr

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm looking at getting an Evo 4G to replace my Samsung Moment (which I am really starting to get frustrated with) and MiFi 2200 (which I love, but would be redundant once I get the Evo - maybe). But I have a few questions.

1. How good is the Evo's GPS performance? The Samsung's is, in a word, pitiful. Even standing outside with nothing covering the phone, I can barely get a signal lock. In a car -- even if it's placed right under the window - forget it. None of the other phones I've had in my lifetime have had such sucktacular performance as this (my Blackberry Curve, for example, is so sensitive that it could practically work if placed in a lead lined box [not really, but it's still quite good in comparison to the Moment).

2. Can the Evo be tethered via USB? My employer has a... thing... about broadcasting wifi. My MiFi makes them nervous. I know, it's stupid, but it's corporate policy and what can I do about it. But they are perfectly fine with me using my MiFi in USB tethered modem mode. Can the Evo be used in a similar method?

forceOnature

May 16, 2010
Visit site
1) I get GPS lock in 2 seconds on average with the EVO. The receiver is sensitive enough to establish and maintain lock on the ground floor of my 3 story townhouse. I had a Moment too with the same crappiness you are talking about and am ecstatic to have a phone that works so well now.

2) Stock methods for tethering will only work for free until July according to Sprint. You also must have 4G or wifi.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress