So sick of this scrolling issue when going through older text messages.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one that has this problem? It was mentioned in another post before, but it drives me up the wall and the other thread about scrolling kinda died.

Here is the scenario, you go to the Messages app and look at a message thread. For one thing scrolling seems a little more sluggish than usual, but the big problem is that if you scroll up to read some older messages, after a few seconds, the phone will scroll right back to the bottom to the most recent message. It doesn't seem to matter where you just let it scroll or even keep your finger on the screen. If you just flick to scroll, as soon as it stops scrolling, it goes back to the bottom by itself. If you keep your finger on it, it still goes down to the bottom. All other scrolling like scrolling through contacts, the market or the internet are fine.

Does anyone to quality control on this stuff? I was hoping for a less glitches from Android, especially after seeing tons of reviews and noone mentioning anything about this. After a while or a reboot, the problem goes away, but it always comes back.

One more thing ticks me off, the notificaiton light. It stops blinking after a while even if you haven't looke at your messages or texts yet. The second thing is the notification light not working when the phone is plugged in. I mean really?

Grrrrr!

rodeiguez102

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Well I wassnt a fan of the default sms app from the get go (didn't really experience bugs, I just didn't like the ui). Been using handcent sms from the android market (free) & have not experienced any problems yet. Not really a solution, but definitely an alternative.

triathlet3

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
ya man, I had the same issue. If you havnt already hard reset your device, then download Handcent SMS from the market, solved my problems.

MrDSL

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Same problem here and it irritated the hell out of me. Basically you can't read any old msgs.. don't bother with a reset cause I hve tried different roms and its always the same. I hate having to switch to another txt app.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk!

MDteX

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I've tried and I could not replicate the OP issue. I scrolled back to old messages and just let it sit there waiting to see it auto-scroll back to the bottom. Never did. It's weird how different some phones act.

I perfer the stock over Handcent. Handcent is a waste of screen real estate. You get far less data in the screen than the stock messenger shows. It is cutesy if you like that.

cpolism

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I too am having this issue. I also have the issue when scrolling through someones contact information. When I click on a contact, and they have a lot of info like email addresses, home and work physical addresses and stuff like that I get chopped off of scrolling. The second I scroll down to click their address, it scrolls back up to the top before I can even click the address. Anyone else having a problem with this?

pwnst_r

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Odd question for some, but as a Linux user now for over 5 years, is there someplace to submit a bug for some of these issues? Calling sprint support would be a frustrating affair I'm sure.

sum_n00b

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I was having this exact same problem. Here's what I did that finally fixed it for me, so far.

(I know this sounds a bit goofy and it's hard to explain but it did work.)

Holding the phone in both hands (portrait mode, not landscape, not sure if that would have mattered), I used both of my thumbs and did what I guess you could call a double scroll, right and left thumbs scrolling like crazy one after the other, scrolling so as to make the older texts visible, and after a few seconds I stopped and noticed it was back to normal. Like I said, this is hard to explain and sounds weird but it worked like a charm and the problem hasn't come back. Hope this works for you guys too.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I was having this exact same problem. Here's what I did that finally fixed it for me, so far.

(I know this sounds a bit goofy and it's hard to explain but it did work.)

Holding the phone in both hands (portrait mode, not landscape, not sure if that would have mattered), I used both of my thumbs and did what I guess you could call a double scroll, right and left thumbs scrolling like crazy one after the other, scrolling so as to make the older texts visible, and after a few seconds I stopped and noticed it was back to normal. Like I said, this is hard to explain and sounds weird but it worked like a charm and the problem hasn't come back. Hope this works for you guys too.

Interesting method, I am going to have to try that. It is really weird, it can go from working fine to screwing up within seconds. Usually when it does mess up, the scrolling seems more choppy than before, it's as if some invisible hand tries to make me scroll the opposite way. And yes, in long contacts it does have issues too.

Oh, the niggely little things. I definitely do not want to exchange my Evo for that, it's perfect otherwise. I don't have the other issues people are experiencing like long battery charge time or dead pixels or excessive screen leakage. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to play that game anymore that I had to play with the Pre, where you're hoping to get a good one with the least amount of issues.

One last thing I noticed. I took a pic of my mug and added it to my own contact so I don't get to see that boring face place holder in texting conversations. Whenever the scrolling messes up, it seems to have a hard time putting my picture there instead of the place holder. Very very weird.

Last edited:

josh3212

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem and it's driving me nuts as well. Just downloaded Handcent, thanks for the suggestion, but I'd rather have the actual messaging app that came with the phone working properly. I also have a similar issue with contacts - where there's a decent amount of info I can't even scroll down to 'edit' any of them as the screen pops back up before I can click the edit button.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Here is hoping that when we get froyo, those issues will be resolved. Still wondering why it does it for some people but not for others.

anon(21601)

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't have an issue scrolling through old text messages, but I do have the scrolling issue when looking or editing a contact. I will scroll to the bottom and it will scroll back up within a few seconds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89