Uninstall Google Talk??

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I searched and didn't find anything in the Evo section on this.

Is there anyway to uninstall google talk from the Evo?? It keeps turning on in the background and I don't need it since I have palringo...

Any help appreciated.

androidvirgin

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Is there anyway to uninstall google talk from the Evo?? It keeps turning on in the background and I don't need it since I have palringo...

Any help appreciated.

nope. preinstalled apps are there to stay unless you root. sorry. it sucks.

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I was afraid of that.

I have set it not to automatically start up, but it does anyway... Any ideas on why that is happening? It is draining my battery.

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Not sure why it is necessary for the market to work, but ok.... How is it not draining my battery when it is always running? You will have to bare with me a bit as this is my first android device. I am an ex-winmo/webos user.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Not sure why it is necessary for the market to work, but ok.... How is it not draining my battery when it is always running? You will have to bare with me a bit as this is my first android device. I am an ex-winmo/webos user.

Easy solution.. Sign out, and under settings put it to not auto start with the phone. Then it's off.. Fixed!

androidvirgin

May 17, 2010
Visit site

rumor: this is how your phone syncs to your google contacts. i haven't verified that though.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
if you stop or remove GTalk you will remove PUSH Gmail.

Gmail needs GTalk running in the background for INSTANT PUSH.

Roman G

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Pushed. I just tried it again now & I sent myself an email from my work computer. EVO beeped within 10 seconds of me hitting send. I also went and checked in ATK....G-talk is NOT running.

Trust me it may be getting killed, but it's always there working in the background. There are to many things that rely on Gtalk to keep it killed for good. If anything your just wasting battery by killing and it starting back up.

dontspamtheman

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I trust you but I have it set not to run and it is not showing anywhere as running so ATK has nothing to kill yet I do get my email so I have no issues either way.

Bigtuna00

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
How is it not draining my battery when it is always running? You will have to bare with me a bit as this is my first android device. I am an ex-winmo/webos user.

Because Android isn't like Windows nor WebOS. Android is more like iOS.

(Properly designed) apps don't consume any battery when they are "idle". Android uses a notification system to wake the process up as needed.

What drains your battery (besides you using the phone) is activities like syncing. However you have control over this (Settings -> Accounts and Sync, or from within each application).

That being said I did loosely follow the tips here:

Tip-Trick: 61 hours, 24% battery remaining - Android Forums

(I installed ATK but I rarely use it now, it's not necessary. The only thing I actively kill after a reboot is Sprint apps because I never use them.)

At this point (being a former WebOs/Pre user) I would describe my battery issues as non-existent. Overnight the EVO loses nothing. I can make it through a full day no problem. The only time I charge the phone is in the car, to and from work, which is about 40 minutes each way.

(sorry, I didn't mean to derail this into a battery tips thread)

In short: unless you know the background app is poorly designed, don't worry about killing it. The OS is designed to work this way.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
yeah you really have to get in the habit of letting the android OS do its thing and run what its going to run by itself. especially with a stock app like gTalk, google properly coded that app so it does NOT use any battery in the background. so simply leaving it alone will not have any effect on your battery life:D.

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

Any help appreciated.

Titanium Backup has a feature that allow you to 'freeze' apps. A frozen app does not show autostart and show up in the app drawer so from user's perspective it is gone.

IIRC, this feature does not require root but am not 100% sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non