Getting rid of my EVO tomorrow...Detailed post on why...

ilivetowin

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well I switched from ATT where I had two lines, an Iphone 3GS and a Blackberry Bold 9000. I used my Bold for texting and phone calls and used my Iphone to browse the web, emails and get directions, both were fully functional except I did not have internet on the Berry.

I got my EVO on launch day and fell in love with the look of it, the screen size and quality, and how awesome youtube videos and all looked on it.

Now im starting to have a love hate relationship and am 80 percent sure I will be returning this tomorrow to get a Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650.

Why?

1.) Most importantly the battery life. Its horrible. Maybe I got a defective phone, Im not sure, but its not to the extreme where I have heard stories such as I charged it 100 percent, took it off charge, watched a youtube video and it was dead...its nothing like that at all...but its bad. My Bold had an amazing battery life and I could go two days of frequent usage without charging....the Iphone was usually gone after a full days use, but problem is, I cant even get a full days use of the EVO...Im lucky to get half a days use and with moderate usage.
Last night I charged it fully, took it off the charger at 10pm, sent a few texts, went to bed, woke up in the morning to a message my battery was lower then 15 percent remaining. And yes, I had a task killer running, and I shut the screen off and locked it.

2.) Texting. Plain and simple. I cannot get used to this stock keyboard. Gave up on that and tried Swype and Shapewriter, which are awesome and helped me alot, but I still cant text without looking where im scrolling, and I am not as efficient as I am with a Blackberry. Texting and calling are the two main functions of a phone and not getting a great texting experience for me was really driving me to switch.

3.) Running hot. The phone tends to run extremely hot, when doing things such as sitting in my pocket and locked. Maybe this is the issue causing my severe battery problems??

4.) Speed. I know this thing is running a snap dragon processor, but thats what really gets me. How can this thing be so slow and laggy packing such power? loading TMZ app and scrolling through this app you will see the lag there. Also lag can be found when typing using the keyboard, opening "people" and then clicking a person also create noticeable lag. Scrolling through your pictures and videos, selecting a picture to view, and then tapping to zoom, also very laggy.

Again, I wanted this phone to be all that I ever wanted, but it has failed to be that. I am not here trying to make Android look bad and say I support another platform. Certainly there will be those who say I am simply an "Apple fanboy" or a "Blackberry fanboy" The truth is I am not. I dont care which manufacturer puts out the best phone, but whoever does, thats what phone I will get. I have no allegiance and I think thats the best way to go.

So anyways I have talked to my friend and he has ordered me a Blackberry Bold 9650 and I will be swapping this out for them.

Flip

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Maaan my wife had a blackberry n that thing kept on freezing n she took it back for another one n same thing she ended up getting a pre, she doesn't like my EVO if not she would of had it

Jerry-O

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Of the problems you listed I can definately agree with number 4. With all the processing power this phone has for it to randomly lock up for a second or two while scrolling or opening someting is horrible. My crappy curve could scroll through pictures but the great EVO cant!

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
#1: there's a problem with your phone or configuration of it. It should not be dead after idling overnight, nor even close. My EVO has over 70% battery left the next morning.

ZimLanfire

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
A good task killer goes a long way for battery life. As far as running hot, that may or may not be a defect. If you have all of the stock applications running AND stuff you want running, it's possible that it'll run hot.

The keyboard... Yeah, nothing beats a solid keypad. I've made more mistakes on my screen keyboard then I ever did on my Touch Pro and even my Moment. It does take some getting used to.

It's definatly faster than the Moment I had, not to mention the other smartphones I've had. I haven't had any problems with speed. That could be a task killer thing too...

I love my Evo. I'm not a 'fanboy' but it's by far the best phone I've had thus far. Battery life is always going to suffer to some degree, but that's why was have task killers and 3rd party batteries & mods.

teiresias

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Well, 1) I don't really understand people with smart phones that don't plug them in overnight. I just don't understand that. I've had to do that with every smartphone I've owned so it's simply expected for me.

2) Love swype, what can I say, ever since owning my first iPhone I've been far more efficient with touch keyboards than I have ever been with keyboards on phones.

3) I have no such temperature issues.

4) I don't think the phone is terribly laggy, but certainly it lags sometimes, which is to be expected. Probably when it's having to do an access to the SD card or something. I also think the Sense UI is an unnecessary hog - particularly since i don't use it and use Launcher Pro, so I really want to put a clean ROM on the EVO without it.

Given you're number 3 I'd wonder whether you have a faulty phone of some kind.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
There is something wrong.

1. Battery should not be that bad. Mine lasts me 10-16 hours light-moderate usage. On heavy usage, it can be gone in 4-6 hours depending on what I'm doing (usually heavy 3d gaming).

On top of that, why do you leave it unplugged overnight?
Even if you did, why not put it on airplane mode? You're not going to use it while you're sleeping I hope.

2. There are like 5 different keyboards you can try. Actually even more. On top of that, there's the voice speech to text as well.

3. Can't comment on this. I guess I don't realize it when it gets hot.

4. This I can agree with you on... It does lag during the UI when the Incredible does not. FroYo should fix this... I hope Google does something about the 30 fps cap... it's annoying.

Jesse

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
The Bold 9650 is a disgrace to the Bold line of BlackBerry phones. I used to have the original Bold, and let me tell you, the 9650 does not live up to the Bold name at all. It's just a Tour 9630 with an optical track pad, WiFi, and more RAM. I had a 9630 last year, and I hated it. You want to talk about lag on the Evo? Wait til you're using the 9650. You'll have a whole new understanding of the term 'lag'.

1) Based on what you've said, it sounds like you might want to do a hard reset. If your phone is hot in your pocket, something is draining your battery like crazy. I will admit that I'd be happier with better battery life, but it's not the worst I've seen. It's manageable. I'm 9 hours into a charge, and have 40% battery left, and this is after some pretty heavy use.

2) All I can say is, takes a while to get used to the onscreen keyboard, for sure. I'm used to it, and love it. I can almost type as quickly as I could on my BlackBerry Bold 9000 (really miss that phone).

3) I have not experienced my Evo running hot. Even under heavy use, I've never noticed it getting hot. It gets mildly warm, but, definitely not as warm as some phones I've owned before. And as for it getting hot while locked in your pocket? There's something eating up your CPU cycles. When it's locked and in your pocket, it's supposed to be in a sleep state. There's something maxing out the CPU while it's in your pocket, and it shouldn't be. What do you have running?

4) Any lag I've ever experienced on my Evo is due to poor coding, plain and simple. Has nothing to do with the Evo's horsepower. ****ty coding leads to ****ty performance. Scrolling through the app drawer, or web pages is totally fine. So why shouldn't it be able to handle scrolling in the TMZ app? I'll tell you why - poor coding.

At the end of the day though, comes down to what you want. Either way, I hope you end up with a device that you're happy with.

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Good luck with your crackberry. I loved my curve, but BB is so far behind the curve I could never go back. Email and battery life is the only good things about it.

Jpatterson350

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'm crazy but if you use one phone for texting and one for internet then thats twice the battery... Expecting your Evo to do both and last just as long with one battery is not realistic.

Enjoy your Tour with wifi and trackpad....

JP

Adam Sawyer

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
To the OP:

Everything you've listed is a problem that can be fixed (quite easily I might add)

Your BB Bold isn't nearly as powerful as the Evo

reagan247

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Hot phone on an Android device is a weird thing anyways... I'd take that phone back and try a new Evo. Sounds like you have a faulty device.

reagan247

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I'd normally completely agree that it is USER error causing the issues... but a hot battery is something that's only normal on a Palm Pre - not an Android phone

thegov

May 6, 2010
Visit site
The one main issue for you is the keyboard. other things can be fixed either w/configuration tweaks or flat out phone replacement. if you can't handle a software keyboard, sorry but you shouldn't have bought the phone. you can't fault the phone for not having something that it physically doesn't have. that was my biggest issue w/my decision from my pre. i went w/evo and can jam texts out like crazy with the stock keyboard. i'm on my evo like crazy all day, by the time i get home after 10 hours its telling me to plug it in, but i make it. my evo doesn't lag very much at all. compared to my pre its a dream.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress