Blackberry to HTC Evo: My First Impressions

barleydude

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone!

After all of this time lurking around the forums, I thought I'd finally say hello. I've been a long time Blackberry user, and was due for an upgrade. It was either the HTC Evo or the Bold 9650, so since I knew what Blackberry was all about, I decided to give the Evo a try.

Well so far it's been working out great. The first round of a fully charged battery lasted around 7 hours or so. (I never let it run out completely, but the low battery indicator began flashing at me) The capabilities of this device are just amazing. I'm slowly getting used to the touch screen, and the sense ui/android os.

For those Blackberry users that are thinking about switching, I thought I?d give you an insight to the differences that I've noticed, and what I?ve experienced.

Email - I actually prefer the way Blackberry has their emails listed out, and hardly used the Gmail app for blackberry. In order to have push email, you will need to use the Gmail application on the Evo, which works similar to the web based Gmail. It gets me my email quickly, which really is all that matters to me.

Screen ? AMAZING. No contest here :)

Unlocking the Screen ? With the blackberry, I just had that top button to access the phone. With the Evo, I have to press a similar unlock button on top, and then slide the bar down on screen. Yeah it?s not hard to do, but just one of those little things that caught my attention when using it. No biggie, I can get used to it.

Battery ? I haven't done any performance tweaking, and it lasted from 6:15am till almost 1:00pm until the 15% low battery message appeared. Which is close to 7 hours. This included listening to Pandora for the 30 minute ride to work, constantly talking on gchat, using facebook updates, twitter updates, checking and receiving gmail, lots of changing to the scene, a few downloads, youtube, some 4G usage, web usage, and probably some others. ALL without being plugged in. So I guess it's on par with what everyone has been experiencing. Although I was really hoping it would last me until I got home from work. I do sit at a computer all day, so charging won't be a problem. It's the weekends that I am worried about. This coming weekend will be the big test!

Phone Size ? This phone definitely doesn?t feel that big, No problem holding on to it or storing in the front pocket.

Message light ? Doesn?t catch my eye like the Blackberry, it?s a small green light hidden behind the mesh ear piece compared to a bright red light on the Blackberry. I find myself missing messages often. But maybe my eyes will adjust soon, I?m still seeing red lights everywhere! :)

Notifications/Messages ? I really do miss the Messages list that contains everything. I had the side button programmed to quickly view them all. There doesn't seem to be this master list of all messages on the Evo. New messages will be displayed in the shade which you pull down to access. Once that notification is viewed, the entry in the shade disappears, so only the unread notifications will remain. But after using for 24 hours, I haven't felt like I really needed this master list of messages. The preview of the message at the top of the screen is very cool! And I get gmail, facebook, and twitter notifications.

Icons ? Very easy to move around on the screen, and can even drag them to each adjacent screen. You?ll have plenty of screen real estate to configure all of your frequently used applications.

Typing ? This should be no surprise that there is a learning curve when coming from a physical keyboard and then using a touch screen. I find myself correcting mistakes more often, which again is normal when learning. And also feel like I have to look at my keyboard to see what keys I?m pressing instead of looking at the text field and see what is being typed.

Notepad ? There isn?t a notepad like what?s on the Blackberry, but there is a sticky note Widget you can download from HTC called ?Notes? which allows you to jot/draw down notes. Simply place this on one of the screens and you?re ready

Calendar ? If Google Sync actually synced my calendar, then I wouldn?t have had a problem. I ended up going through the agenda view of my Blackberry and entering everything online. The one thing I did notice is that the phone does not let you set an end point for recurring events. You can go online in google calendar to accomplish this. Maybe just make a note on the event that will remind you to do so.

Applications - too many to list, but it seems like there are some quality applications that will help accomplish things you did on the Blackberry. I don?t think we?ll have any problems in this area.

Camera - It takes pictures, don't have a problem with the quality since it is a phone. My only concern is the lens, which sticks out a bit. This can be alleviated by putting a case on that has the lens recessed a bit.

MMS - The default picture size is too large, so you have to resize it somehow. I just lowered the resolution for the pictures I'd want to send, and that seems to do the trick. There is probably a way to not lower the resolution, but I have yet to figure that out.

Contacts ? If you use Google Sync, you?re golden. If you?re like me and never did this, you might have two separate lists of contacts. Your blackberry contacts, and your gmail contacts. You will need to somehow merge these lists, whichever way you feel is best.

Here is what I did to merge the two. There are probably other ways to do this, but I wanted to ensure I had a backup of both lists. So to get my Blackberry and my Gmail contacts in sync, without worrying about losing data, I did the following:
1. Create a new temporary Gmail account
2. Download Google Sync for your Blackberry, and set it up with this new temporary Gmail account
3. Synchronize your Blackberry with this temporary account.
4. Sign into your main Gmail account
5. Go to your Contacts, export all contacts into a Google supported file
6. Save this file somewhere, which will be used as a backup of your Gmail contacts
7. Sign into your temporary Gmail account
8. Go to your Contacts, import the backup of your main Gmail accounts contacts.
9. If there are duplicates, select the checkbox on the similar contacts, and then select merge.
10. Possibly rename contacts or modify other fields.
11. When completed, export this list. This should contain both your Blackberry and main Gmail contacts merged and updated.
12. Sign into your main gmail. Delete all your contacts (this will be okay since you backed them up in the prior steps)
13. Import the merged contacts file that was exported from your temporary account.
14. At this point, your main Gmail account will have all of its existing contacts PLUS your Blackberry?s contacts.

Well I guess that?s it for now. Other than Blackberry Messenger, this phone does just about everything I need it to do. So if I can get this battery life somewhat better, then I'll be keeping the phone. I actually think I'd miss this phone if I switched back to the Blackberry. So I guess it really does depend on user preference, and what you want out of a phone. I?m sure I?ll come back here and add some more details as I spend more time with the phone.

I'm no expert, but if you have any questions on anything feel free to ask. Hope my take on the Evo helped someone out there!

BigRick10

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I too made the switch from a Blackberry to the Evo. Just like you I do miss some features the bb had that Android does not. Let's remember though. Android is still very young and is pretty amazing. Wait till Android gets to 4.0! Imagine how that will be like ;)

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

tscharf

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the input. I plan on making the jump in a week. I have also been a long time blackberry user and every time I've tried a new phone, I've gone back to blackberry so I'm not having high hopes for this attempt. We'll see though. ;)

zekelollis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
former bb user of 5 years

After 5 years of complacency, I began searching for an escape from BB. I bought a Droid on eBay to avoid being stuck 2 years I hated the phone. Getting to the point: It was a great decision. The only two drawbacks are typing and no bbm. If you're thinking of switching, do I now and quit delaying your happiness.

riste601

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I recently switched from a bb tour myself and can't be happier with the switch so far. It did take some getting use to, but that would be true for most phones.

For email, I have been using K-9, which also just came out with an update that will give you an integrated mailbox like the BB had, so now, my gmail and other email are all in one mail box and with push.

epbb

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Barleyfield- I would recommend installing mylock from the market. Its free and automatically unlocks your phone when you press the power button. Just hit enable in the settings and your set. I love this app because I check my phone frequently and the swipe seems kind of redundant.

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I come from the Hail Grail of BBs, the 9700, the battery life on that was a beast. But swype has gotten rid of me missing my physical keyboard. Other wise, Android with Sense owns BB OS, and I always used GMail. So that made it so much better for me.

SPL15

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Also another long time BB user. I'm glad I made the switch, cause now I actually use my phone for fun instead of boring work & communicating. I would never say anything bad about BB cause it is a platform that straight out works 99.9% of the time & is mature so it feels integrated. Plus with the hardware it works with, I can't believe how fast it is Multitasking & how long the battery lasts. I'd get 3 days of use sometimes.

BUT Android, well it is young with a few flaws still, but I find myself with the Evo just playing on it for fun which I NEVER did on the BB's I've owned. The Browser & screen really makes ya realize what you've been missing on the BB platform. I Could do without HTC sense & some of the outright stupid engineering flaws from HTC on the evo, but all in all it's made me put faith back into android & although I miss my BB cause I could type a novel in 20 minutes with it, I would rather have fun on something I pay that much a month for. BBM & the hardware qwerty I miss, but all the other goodness makes it worth it with a CAPABLE android phone such as the evo.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
In ways I kinda miss my Bold, but its prob more so because the Evo is new and new OS that is unfamiliar and just a ton of stuff to figure out.

LED notifcation I wish was brighter and more eye catching as stated above.
I thought the BB Fb app blew until I saw the HTC one. lol

Gmail email app is fast as hell, but I couldnt find the send or reply button. (someone told me last night I need to scroll to the bottom of the message chain i guess, but i dont like that) HTC email app is a little slower, but easier to use.

Tons of apps out there, but gotta watch what you DL as it can affect batt life and system functionality.

Getting used to a touchscreen can be a pain, but coming along now.

All in all, i havent been able to play and enjoy the phone yet. more worried about system resources and optimizing it then using it to play.
One of these days Ill get over it and just use it. lol

OrderedtheEvo

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I come from a 9700 also and although I love the evo there is things I miss about my bb. Notifications, bbm. I just need to get used to the evo that's all.

xxankitxx

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
my only flaw with the android OS - surprisingly - is the gmail app....compared to BB - just felt that BB does email soooo much better than Android.

am i the only one?

midwest_kc

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I just got my EVO today, and I echo a lot of what's being said. I like the EVO quite a bit so far, and I'm sure I'm going to love it as I get more into it. However, it's so different from what I'm used to, that I am a little nervous. We'll see, but I'm sure it will rock.

barleydude

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Glad to see some other blackberry users in the same situation!

I have to say that I am getting very used to this phone already. Typing has improved alot, and the things the Evo lacks compared to Blackberry are starting to become unnoticed. I'm almost certain there is no way I'll be returning this phone now :)

rpmorri#CB

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm still on an 8330, since my upgrade date is Thursday, but I did manage to play with an Evo for 20 minutes while I was at a repair store having the Curve checked out. I've seen iPhones in use, and since they're similar, it wasn't really a stretch to start using and feel moderately comfortable on. Dolphin's HD browser is the way to go, I'm thinking. Well made and fast.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo