well it happened! Cracked camera glass

twe90kid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Well it just happened. I'm not sure how, but while i was wiping the camera glass, I felt some lines and then I turned over the phone to check on the glass there was a crack. I don't know how it happened. I've never dropped the phone. It was in a Innocase II the whole month and a half of owning it since the Google Event.

DAMN!

Anyone have a similar problem?

curbman

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
It happened to me also and took the phone to sprint and they did not want to replace it. I think the phone came with screen cracked. What a difference in service compared to verizon. With verizon I had a similar situation withe storm 2 screen cracking and they replaced it on the spot. At least sprint replaced the lens with a used lens that they had.

twe90kid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
It happened to me also and took the phone to sprint and they did not want to replace it. I think the phone came with screen cracked. What a difference in service compared to verizon. With verizon I had a similar situation withe storm 2 screen cracking and they replaced it on the spot. At least sprint replaced the lens with a used lens that they had.

yeh. I was having trouble replacing my phone for other reasons like "glow in the dark" softkey because the corp store said i did not buy the phone from their store. I must contact sprint corporate. I got my phone from google I/O

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Why do you think Sprint should be responsible for a phone you didn't buy from them? Would you expect Best Buy to replace a computer you bought a Wal-Mart, even if it's a brand both sell? Or more to the point, would you expect Radio Shack to replace an Evo you bought from Sprint or Best Buy?

Sprint doesn't warranty the phone for defects, HTC does. Sprint acts as a retailer for the hardware, just as Best Buy or Radio Shack do.

twe90kid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Why do you think Sprint should be responsible for a phone you didn't buy from them? Would you expect Best Buy to replace a computer you bought a Wal-Mart, even if it's a brand both sell? Or more to the point, would you expect Radio Shack to replace an Evo you bought from Sprint or Best Buy?

Sprint doesn't warranty the phone for defects, HTC does. Sprint acts as a retailer for the hardware, just as Best Buy or Radio Shack do.

my question to you is why give you a phone and ruin your reputation if your not going to put warranty and back up the product your trying to sell?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Again, HTC WARRANTS THE PHONE, Sprint provides the service. If you wanted Sprint to handle your warranty, you should have bought it from them. (Or paid Sprint for their insurance policy.) Just as if you want BB to handle your warranty, you wouldn't buy something from Wal-Mart.

Google gave you the phone. HTC built the phone. Where does Sprint enter into that picture? You may have a gripe with Google if they gave you a broken phone. You may have a gripe with HTC if they manufactured a defective phone. I don't see where you have a gripe with a company that was completely uninvolved in the transaction.

You signed a contract with Sprint for service, which they're providing, I assume, under the terms of the contract. And they offered you the option of insurance, which it appears you declined.

Does Best Buy ruin its reputation by refusing to fix something you bought somewhere else? I don't think so. People just don't understand the relationship between manufacturers, retailers and service providers.

Last edited:

boomhower1820

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Sprint does provide service for the warranty after the initial 30 days. Yes, HTC is the provider of the warranty but Sprint handles the servicing of the warranty. Sprint decides what to warranty to what not too. Can you go around them and go straight to HTC? I don't know but if you don't like what Sprint is telling you contact them and see.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Sprint does provide service for the warranty after the initial 30 days. Yes, HTC is the provider of the warranty but Sprint handles the servicing of the warranty. Sprint decides what to warranty to what not too. Can you go around them and go straight to HTC? I don't know but if you don't like what Sprint is telling you contact them and see.

Sprint provides warranty service for HTC for phones Sprint sells. I do not think you'll have a lot of success getting Sprint to honor the warranty for a phone you bought elsewhere. That was certainly the case with Palm Treos once the initial 30 days was up.

leo1977

May 16, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me too. I did not drop it. Just in and out of my pocket. I have made a couple of phone calls, looks like I'm going to have to pay for the repair.... funny thing is that its not affecting the picture quality, so I may just live with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non