HTC is looking in to removing the FPS CAP

joek1971

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I just got email from HTC:

Hi, I am Danielle and I would be happy to assist you today. You were wondering about the cap on 30 FPS on your HTC EVO 4G. Since this Android device employs a unique HDMI output to deliver video in HD quality to an external display, the hardware graphics driver interface uses significant resources for the HDMI output and therefore displays graphics at 30 frames per second on the integrated display. It?s important to keep in mind that content including most movies and television, are created to run at between 24 and 30 frames per second. We have found that some games may be impacted by this limitation. The HTC EVO 4G has been locked to 30 FPS. This should not present a major issue for most Android applications; however, you may have some issues with some 2D or 3D applications. The 30 FPS has been locked to enhance overall performance in the device. By lowering the FPS of the device the CPU works less. This increases the battery life of the device. The 30 FPS is set but we have decided to look into the possibility of overcoming this limitation by software changes. HTC plans to announce its findings when we complete our investigation. I thank you for contacting HTC and please feel free to send another email if you have any other questions

Flip

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't play games on my phone so that ain't a deal breaker for me I have a ps3 for that but if they do change the fps cap that's the only thing missing on my EVO so it will b complete either way I LOVE THIS PHONE!!!

joek1971

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
This is good news at least they are looking in to this and I think within few weeks they will release a firmware patch, I also think the more people email to voice the problem the faster and harder they work.

iamfuze

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
At least HTC states they'll look into it. Whether or not it will happen is still unclear. I'm the type that doesn't get too excited over things, until I see it in front of me. I'm hoping it'll happen, and soon.

joek1971

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I think HTC became very aware of what is going on, since the release of Moto Droid X and its not capped. I think they realized they made a mistake with that cap. I also think the more people complain the more they see it was a mistake and will work to remove it. I think they can use a " if statement " to do if nothing is connected to HDMI then run at normal fps 60+ if you have something plugged in to HDMI then cap it a 30fps not that hard to do for those guys. But this is the best reply i got so far all the others said we sorry but nothing we can do.

joek1971

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
We all here have to go to HTC.com and write in to the support and I also emailed Dan Hesse last night to tell how unhappy people are with this cap.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
All they have to do is adjust the framebuffer so it prints each frame twice. Then apps will say the framerate is doubled, and people can feel better about it.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
so what will i see in the real world as a result of this change? how exactly will this improve user experience?

It won't. The Adreno can't even hit 30 fps in Neocore, a benchmark app designed specifically for it's graphics engine, on a 4+ inch screen.

But download Neocore from the market and run it. You'll get somewhere between 25 and 30 fps. Decide for yourself if the 3D framerate is acceptable vs. letting the wailing and gnashing of teeth coming from the intertubes influence you.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I got a similar e-mail.

Dear ******,

Hello Kedar, Thank you for taking the time to contact HTC America Technical Support via E-Mail with your inquiry about your EVO 4G. It??s important to keep in mind that content including most movies and television, are created to run at between 24 and 30 frames per second. The 30FPS is a hardware limitation, not a software limitation. We have found that some games may be impacted by this limitation. The device has been locked at 30 FPS due to enhance overall performance in the device. By lowering the FPS of the device the CPU works less. This increases the battery life of the device. We are investigating the viability of claims that the limitation of 30fps can be overcome by software changes. As soon as we finish our investigations, HTC will announce its findings.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number ***************.

Sincerely,

Ante

HTC

And e-mail #2.

Dear ******,

Thank you for your response. We are investigating the viability of claims that the limitation of 30fps can be overcome by software changes. As soon as we finish our investigations, HTC will announce its findings. In the meantime, thank you for your feedback.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number ****************.

Sincerely,

Ante

HTC

joek1971

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
There is a fix, they need to make a firmware fix, since xda guys found a way i am sure HTC has a way just didnt think people would care or didnt think xda would find it. Also they must have gotten some pressure from Sprint, since lot of people complained to Sprint. When there is a will there is a way.

epphllps

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I just read yesterday that it can't be fixed, it's the hardware.

Doesn't matter what HTC says b/c the cap has been removed over at XDA. Which is not a surprise to anyone :) If it was hardware limited, then NO ONE could remove the cap without modifying hardware, obviously. This is a simple kernel (software) that allows the Evo to run over 30 fps. Therefore, HTC excuse = BS & laziness. If anyone is curious, head over to xda and read thoroughly and see for yourself :)

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
so what will i see in the real world as a result of this change? how exactly will this improve user experience?

Next to a nexus, the evo is choppy in all parts of the UI throughout the OS. I've done side by side a few times now. It will give you a much better, smoother more pleasant user experience.

joek1971

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I dont think it will help video as mush as it will help 3D games and scrolling, it is not a hardware issue it is a firmware issue. Update the firmware and problem will be solved.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89