2.2 Froyo Update - Report & Find Solutions to Issues Here (post #1 & 2 updated 8/8)

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
A hard reset is easier than that. The only thing I ever lose when bouncing around between ROMs is call log and texts. Settings are restored from Google's servers. Bookmarks are as well. All apps install automatically since they are tied to your Google account. The only thing I lose are calls and texts, and I use sms backup and call track to handle those.

I meant things like, WiFi, Bluetooth, ringtone/notification sounds, GPS options, keyboard settings, unique app settings etc... I've never had those things backup to Google, but maybe I'm doing something wrong? Either way, I agree with your general point... hard resets are not that big of deal.

bjordan

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone been able to move apps to SD card? When I go to try and move my apps to the card its illuminated for me to be able move them. How does this work?

Developers have to enable their apps to run on the SD card. Since Froyo is still new some are still playing catchup.

Here's a nice app that may help some people.

SDMove - Android app on AppBrain

It lets you quickly look and see what apps can or cannot be moved to an SD card. It also highlights which ones run well on SD cards and which ones prefer to be on the internal storage.

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
mine is just fine. Although it doesn't seem to zoom in as far as previous 2.1. May be a setting I haven't tried though.

Yeah when I double tap it does zoom but barley anything and when I use my fingers to zoom it works. I then can double tap and it returns to normal.

Do you think a factory reset would do anything or is this normal?

Last edited:

AutumnLove

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I updated last night and as soon as it installed I got an "android.process.media" error, which it ask me to report and I did. I noticed I couldn't use my ringtones, some notifications, camera, camcorder, and I couldn't download anything. I waited all day to see if anyone had this issue and what the solution but the only thing I could find was "uninstall LED light app" which I didn't have in the first place. I finally did a factory reset and it was fine for about 2 hours and now that I started customizing the home screen I started to receive the same error message.

I haven't even restored my app downloads from the market so I'm not sure what it could be.

Help, please?

1gadgetsgeek

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
EVO update problems

WARNING TO EVO owners: do not update froyo 2.2. I manually went in to update last night excited for 2.2 less than 24hrs later I am strongly disappointed. None of the updates ....except the flashlight... work. :eek: I disconnected from charging my phone this am at 0600, about an hour later my battery meter was just below half, by 1000 my phone was dead, this was with 1 phone call, and about a dozen or so text, and wifi. nothing else. My phone is hot, it is charging now and getting really hot. I called Sprint about 1 hour ago to report the issue, about 1min after I hit end, my phone shut off and restarted for no apparent reason. Under manage apps, it always says I have 27 apps running. This is not the case. I wish I hadn't updated, my EVO, I love the phone and it had been working. Camera doesn't work properly, FM radio has the same UI, app store does look different but not any faster, home screen looks the same. Should I hard reset? I don't know that they will be able to help me in the store? Ideas? Looks like I am the one unlucky EVO owner.

mewn77

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Speech to text?

does any one know what happened to the speech to text function on the keyboard? it is only available on the search function only now.

rockyjay

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Just upgraded and found that when I plug in the charger, either car charger or usb on computer, the SD card attempts to mount, regardless of the settings. I selected "Charge Only" under Settings > Connect to PC > Default Connection Type, but that makes no difference. I am able to unmount the card manually through settings > SD and Phone Storage > Unmount SD Card --- then > Mount SD Card. That's a tricky work around because it makes a difference whether you do it before plugging in the usb cable or after.
Any solutions / fixes?

Having the same issue. Any fixes yet? I always use my phone to listen to music when I drive, except for this morning.:(

mr.seth.price

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Yeah when I double tap it does zoom but barley anything and when I use my fingers to zoom it works. I then can double tap and it returns to normal.

Do you think a factory reset would do anything or is this normal?

I think it's the new norm. I played with zoom settings and it helped a bit but also I feel like when I'm scrolling the page (although I'm not seeing lag). Moves at a slower pace. Then again I'm a bit sleep deprived so it could be me.:confused:

mr.seth.price

May 18, 2010
Visit site
does any one know what happened to the speech to text function on the keyboard? it is only available on the search function only now.

you mean like in text messages or browser where you can speak what you want instead of typing all the time. If this is what your talking about I can say not only is it still where it was as of day before yesterday. It may be a bit more accurate. Though I believe Google does refine the algorithms that use this process constantly so it may have nothing to do with Froyo.

Irix

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
If one more person reports a problem that is using a task killer.... :mad:

System Panel that I mentioned is a very useful tool. While you can kill apps in it, I don't use it for that. I don't think most people do.

It has lots of good data to see what's going on with the system in real-time.

My original post was to why none of the apps are in the cached state, vs background. I'm still searching for an answer to that one.

Anyway... to anyone using an app killer.

Short story is with 2.2 Froyo the API changed and they removed the basic kill functions to allow you to kill apps. Instead is just signals them to restart. After reading the news groups it sounds like the kill function was abused which is why they decided to remove it. Abused == task killers. Which are unnecessary.

However, you will still occasionally run into an app that is misbehaving. Just use the application manager in Froyo to stop it.

If anyone has any info why all of the apps are showing as background processes I'd be interested to hear it.

Last edited:

N10seCapricorn

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Problem with 4G and hotspot after update

Before I upgraded to the 2.2, my 4G and hotspot was working fine. After the update, if I'm on the 4G network, and I turn on the hotspot, I get bumped off the network, and it cycles trying to connect to the 4G network. Even trying the USB tethering doesn't help. Any ideas? :confused:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I still have it. I can get into bootloader. What are my options?

I would download the original shipped ROM from here, and see if you can flash it to the EVO. Give it a shot & report back.

Also, in recovery, you might see if there's an option to reset or wipe data. If either of those exist, you might try that first.

mhrischuk

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I would download the original shipped ROM from here, and see if you can flash it to the EVO. Give it a shot & report back.

Also, in recovery, you might see if there's an option to reset or wipe data. If either of those exist, you might try that first.

Recovery just goes into a red triangle with and exclamation point.

How do I flash? load from usb?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Press & hold up on the volume button then press power. You should then see several options. I'm hoping you have something in there that says wipe, restore, or something to that affect.

Option B:

I'm thinking you can just run the executable that I pointed to you, while it's plugged in to your computer to flash the original ROM.

mhrischuk

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Looks like it refuses to allow me to connect usb to the phone. This thing is pretty hosed. I did try the clear storage and recovery. None worked.

I ran that exec. It tried to connect but could not.