2.2 Froyo Update - Report & Find Solutions to Issues Here (post #1 & 2 updated 8/8)

DaveInFL#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Secondary Gmail update?

I still have no luck with my secondary (and most important) Gmail account updating. I have done everything (deleting and re-adding accounts, clearing data and cache, etc) except a factory reset but don't really want to do that since it hasn't been reported to be a certain fix for the problem. Did anyone post a solution that I may have missed?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Factory... not rooted. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome, but I wish we could have fixed it. It sucks that it's bricked. The only thing that ever fixed my phone from hanging/rebooting at the carrier logo was to do something called "wipe" from within the recovery menus, but it doesn't even sound like that's an option for you.

To everyone else, I'll update the first post tomorrow. Thanks for the additional feedback. It's great to hear someone did a hard reset, isn't using a task killer, and has positive results.

No solution too second Gmail yet. Keep an eye on the thread that talks about it.

DroidGnome

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if it's been mentioned but with the Evo 4G, you don't seem to have access to the stock Froyo Keyboard with the new number buttons above it :(... anyone seen an APK perhaps?

Dman2001

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
WAV issue

Just wondering, anyone fix the voicemail .wav issue? Don't want to hard reset unless I have to. Otherwise everything else checks out, but I'm a little 'fraid that data wiping may not fix a codec issue. But I've been wrong before. Thanks to all esp. CS.

mr.seth.price

May 18, 2010
Visit site
@quizshow and @slingbox. As far as I know yes. I'll try it again this morning on the way to work as my local ESPN Affiliate decided to go gospel music (if that's your thing great). So it's the only way I can listen to my Mike and Mike in the morning. I'll update this post after I'm at work.

***UPDATE*** WiFi on running down I-64. Not connected to WiFi but streaming iheartradio over 3g. tell your friends

Last edited:

anon(9438)

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Found a specific issue in the OFFICIAL Froyo update? Listed below are a few of the initial problems being reported. Feel free to report others in this thread. If it's determined to be a common problem, I will update this post accordingly. If solutions are found, I will also provide information here.

If you are having an issue, try a hard reset using this procedurehttp://forum.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=264434.​

Yes you will need to reinstall apps and settings, but this is trivial compared to spending a countless amount of time on troubleshooting issues that you're having that others are not.

Also, please do not use task killers. 9 times out of 10 these programs cause issues if not used properly. By not using one, you will be able to isolate root causes easier.​

Poor browser performance. Reported solution solution: Browser > Menu > More > Settings > Enable Plugins > On Demand.

Second Gmail account not synching. Solution: TBD

Camera issues. Reported solution:Uninstall the LED light widget.

Apps missing in market. Reported solution: Uninstall ay app from Application Settings and then reinstall it from the marketplace. This should bring back your apps list.

Pandora/Slacker problems. Reported solution here.

Third party system panel app not working correctly. Per the developer of this app, the app does not need to be updated. The developer said that Froyo just does not do inactive cached apps.

Bluetooth voice dialer will only dial primary number. Solution: TBD

I'm using Unrevoked 3 and cannot update. Reported solution: Unroot and return to stock ROM.

Swype no longer works. Reported solution: Uninstall and reinstall the beta.

Music no longer works with multi tasking. Solution: TBD

Broswer Crashing on Flash Sites. Solution: Read 1st post of linked thread.

Droid X & HTC IME Keyboard no longer works. Solution: TBD

Sirius & XP apps not working. Solution: TBD

HTC Streaming Media will no longer play RTSP feeds. Solution: TBD

Poor battery life. Solution: Varies... Need to read the thread. However, here are a few suggestions: Disable Always on Mobile Data, disable Google talk from automatically starting, keep WiFi turned on, disable roaming, and turn off CDMA roaming. (Thanks, Chris!)

One more time:

Please do not use task killers (check task killer sticky for more info). 9 times out of 10 these programs cause issues if not used properly. By not using one, you will be able to isolate root causes easier.

Also, Task managers won't work in Froyo. The Android team deprecated the method used to kill tasks. Apps can no longer kill other tasks. They may kill the task, but it will just pop right back up. They definitely aren't needed in Froyo anyway, thanks to improved memory management. I think if people are having battery issues, they should do a factory reset and not install a task killer. Since they no longer work, leaving one on auto-kill settings could have some bad effects on battery.

tbonecopper

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Since the udpate. 2 of our Evos (the other Evo being a member here on this forum) have been unable to open attachments (tested JPG & PDF) using the HTC mail app.. gmail configured as Exchange. Error states: Corrupted file.

other accounts, like pop/imap open the same files just fine on the phone.

Unsure if this has been posted previously.. my apologies if so.

gadgetluva

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
When I press the search button and hit the blue Google drop down, I see Google, apps, web...but not contacts. Is this the same for everyone else?

mr.seth.price

May 18, 2010
Visit site
When I press the search button and hit the blue Google drop down, I see Google, apps, web...but not contacts. Is this the same for everyone else?

same here. yeah to go to the main settings, search, you'll find a customization 4 what will and will not search . Click contacts.

Irix

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I posted earlier but froyo no longer has cached apps. I linked to the thread where I asked the developer and his response, froyo is just different. So system panel now only has active apps and system processes.

thanks! I must have overlooked it. Ya I figured it was something different with 2.2. I go back and find your post.

ReproOne

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I am wondering if anyone has found out more information on why the stock player no longer supports certain WAV files, such as voicemail from Cisco unity messaging or Vonage. There is a paid app, Remote Wave, that I am told works. However, I am still hoping to determine why it quit working natively.

Ashton

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Thought I would try giving this another shot. Has anyone signed into Google Talk and then tapped a person's picture in either Talk or their contacts? Does anyone get two phone icons and the second icon brings up a list of applications if you tap it that don't do anything? It only seems to do it if you tap the picture or icon of someone that is online in Talk and on your contact list in Talk. Just thought I'd try again to see if I'm the only one. I thought I'd see if any of you could try to see if yours does this or if I'm crazy. Let me know if I haven't described it adequately!

mhrischuk

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
You're welcome, but I wish we could have fixed it. It sucks that it's bricked. The only thing that ever fixed my phone from hanging/rebooting at the carrier logo was to do something called "wipe" from within the recovery menus, but it doesn't even sound like that's an option for you.

To everyone else, I'll update the first post tomorrow. Thanks for the additional feedback. It's great to hear someone did a hard reset, isn't using a task killer, and has positive results.

No solution too second Gmail yet. Keep an eye on the thread that talks about it.

Under system recovery my options are:

reboot system now
apply sdcard:update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition

I did all of the wiping.

When I try and apply from sd I get the signature error.

krwren#AC

May 16, 2010
www.thewren.org
Just so everyone knows, I tried every step suggested above. I finally did simple root and still could not get it re imaged. I tried it on both Windows 7 32 and 64 bit systems. Finally I bought up a virtual machine with Windows XP. I installed the HTC sync software and started the process The VM lost connection to the Evo a couple times, but I would just select the VM menu and it would reconnect and continue.

This worked first try with no issue at all.

drewdigital7

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Froyo 2.2 has made my evo CRAZZZZZZY LAGGGGY... everything is slow and dragging. i got handcent, launcherpro, beautiful widget... wtf? i need some advice... is it just me...