EVO Restarting on its own - a LOT...

iamcpap

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
So. I noticed a week or so ago when i turned on GPS signal that my phone restarted. It only happened once and when the phone restarted the GPS was off and I went on with my day.

This morning it was vibrating on my nightstand every 15 seconds. It was rebooting itself and barely making it to the home screen. Most time it wouldn't even get as far as the 4G screen.

I pulled the battery our for a half hour and went back to sleep. When I woke up again I put the battery in and it started right up, which I then did an immediate Factory Reset. When the phone came back up I let it register on the Sprint Network then signed into my Wi-Fi at home, since SPrint doesn't work in my house I have to use Airave and Wi-Fi... yes, it's a joke.

So the phone was in 3G and Wi-Fi mode. No GPS, No 4G. Everything worked fine for about an hour until I got to work and started to try to sync my contacts and update everything back to normal. I switched on 4G to speed up my downloads at work, since we don't have Wi-Fi here. As SOON as the 4G turned on, the phone had a complete breakdown and started restarting again the same as it was before. Wasn't even starting up completely before it reset again.

So I pulled the battery.

Anyone experience anything similar?

Let me know, thanks.
CP

dutchman71

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Mine did the same right after I got it (at launch). I hard reset the phone and it has been fine ever since... It's a pain but will fix your problem.

iamcpap

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Now I am getting a screen that says:

"The application HTC Sense (process com.htc.launcher) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. " With a force close button... When I Force Close it bring the exact same screen back up...

I think my EVO is in full meltdown mode. :(

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Looks like you have a faulty Evo.
I would call Sprint for a replacement. Just explain your problem. Tell them you've done multiple hard resets.

daving313

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
If a factory reset didn't fix it, something sounds funky. Are you running any custom kernels or ROMs? If not, you may want to consider taking it to Sprint and replicate the problem to them.

iamcpap

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Screen shot

Here is a pic of the screen I get now... this is the only screen the phone will display when it starts... If I hit force close it just brings this screen up again...

WTF?

iamcpap

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Kedar - Daving... thanks guys. I think she may be toast... I have never run a custom ROM on her nor do I even use it for anything that data intensive. Text and G-Chat are my biggest users. Strange it would crap out on me with such little hard use...

iamcpap

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Gekko - as in Gordon?

App list is short...

F1 by RedSea
E! News - for my wife
Pandora
Paper Toss - game
CNN
SportsTap

and i think everything else is Sprint Installed on the phone...

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Gekko - as in Gordon?

App list is short...

F1 by RedSea
E! News - for my wife
Pandora
Paper Toss - game
CNN
SportsTap

and i think everything else is Sprint Installed on the phone...

try deleting all third party apps. then do a power down and power up. then see if the problem persists. if it does not, load each app back one by one and test.

as a last resort do a factory reset and see if problem persists in factory state.

good luck.

iamcpap

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
gekko... i can't even get to my home screen to do anything... i get that HTC sense error screen now... i just did a "clear storage" from the bootloader screen... yikes, we will see how this goes... and prior to this i had already done a factory reset, there were no apps on the phone currently...

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to chime in so late, but I have been having the same problem. My phone randomly reboots. I thought it had something to do with the new car dock I bought, because thats when it started.

I thought maybe it had to do with the phone "overheating," as it seemed like the battery was always warm or hot when it happened, but I have had it happen when the battery and phone did not feel warm, so I have tentatively ruled that out.

I have the random reboot now at all times of the day, with seemingly no rhyme or reason as to why. I have tried a hard reset, and that did not seem to help.

I have a hard time believing that it is a hardware problem, when this just happened about a week ago. I have never had a problem before. Unlike the OP, I do not get any error messages. The screen simply goes black, and the boot screen appears. Sometimes, when the battery feels extremely hot, such as when I have it in the car dock, and it is on top of the dashboard, it goes into a reboot loop. Then I have to take the battery out and wait for the phone and battery to cool down before it will restart.

Any ideas? I really don't want to have to take it into Sprint, and possibly wait for a replacement, especially a refurb, since I bought mine new, and have never had any problems before this.

toys4paws

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
get rid of advanced task killer - that did it to me -- had to do a hard reset - then loaded just the task killer - it has an automatic on it - but doesn't mess your phone up with the virus or whatever that the advanced task killer does

dallen13

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
My evo was getting the error messages constantly for a while so I took it into sprint and they said i had a virus (which i think came from a version of swype i found randomly on the web). A hard reset worked for me though.

Ironically, I found this forum because I'm now having a problem similar to what drjb74 describes, though I don't have reasons to believe it has anything to do with heat in my case... any ideas?

acoleman1981

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I had the same issue with my EVO and noticed that it only done this when I had App Protector Pro enabled. I took this program off of my phone and it hasn't rebooted since. Hope this helps. I also tested and seen that andlock does the same thing.

MultiMatt

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I have had two or three random reboots, and they weren't related to any of the apps I've seen mentioned here.

Mine all happened when I was using Google Maps or Google Navigation. Went to enable the GPS and BAM, reset.

Keeping an eye on it...

Matt

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non