What is the point of 4g if it doesn't allow internet access?

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
So I am at kings island and realized I am in a 4g area so I turn it on to try it out for the first time. While my phone shows a 4g signal and connection I cannot access the internet while in 4g.
Is anyone else experiencing this same issue? When I switch back to 3g my internet access is restored. Any input is appreciated.
Sent from my HTC Evo 4g using tapatalk

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
No error messages except for the unable to view webpage when trying to browse. Signal strength fluctuates between 1 and 3 bars for 4g.

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
I am rooted and never had a problem with mine.

"Bars" don't really mean everything. I only get one bar of 4G here at home, but I still get ~5mbps down.

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Now that its working I am seeing speeds exceeding 7.5 mbps. That is faster than my home internet connection.

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Same here. I think it's pretty sad (and awesome at the same time) that I can tether to my laptop and get a faster connection than I do from Comcast.

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
What's more annoying is I can't get this signal at home. Can't say exactly why because I bet population wise where I live is larger than a lot of the places who have 4g.

kcarter17

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
4G has not officially been turned on here in Cincinnati. It is getting better and I have noticed that it is on at my house but it is not on all the time. I usually get 3 bars but data is not flowing all the time. Most of my speed tests are 7 down and 1 up.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I think I have come to the conclusion that 4G sucks!

They turned it on but a lot of main areas still have no signal. If you do get one it sucks the battery faster than a $5.. well you know...

I mainly wanted to be able to browse the net and talk at the same time.

So it may be useful to tether if you have power but it is not much faster than people I know on AT&T's 3G. Why do they get faster 3G than us on Sprint? I still hate AT&T and like Sprints unlimited data but still...

Anyway if I could get a solid consistent signal of 7+ Mbps down I would say it was worth the hype. I don't so I won't... i:)i

DougB541#CB

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I think I have come to the conclusion that 4G sucks!

They turned it on but a lot of main areas still have no signal. If you do get one it sucks the battery faster than a $5.. well you know...

I mainly wanted to be able to browse the net and talk at the same time.

So it may be useful to tether if you have power but it is not much faster than people I know on AT&T's 3G. Why do they get faster 3G than us on Sprint? I still hate AT&T and like Sprints unlimited data but still...

Anyway if I could get a solid consistent signal of 7+ Mbps down I would say it was worth the hype. I don't so I won't... i:)i

AT&T's fast network (forgot the name) is technically the upper edge of 3G. The 4G speeds match top 3G in a few at&t markets however the theoretically speed is much great than AT&T can ever hope. And remember, this is the first year of 4G for sprint...it will get faster/better.

But, even then, my 4G speeds are much faster than AT&T's network:
62420_730725642952_16101034_40078718_859418_n.jpg

bucabuc

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
One thing I have noticed is that if you are already in an application on 3g then turn on 4g you frequently need to restart the app. I think this is because the app is bound to the 3g network stack and doesn't know to use 4g without restarting.

Regarding sprint vs. att, sprint 4g has 5 times the spectrum bandwidth as att. I hope they will capitalize on it. I read the other day that early wimax v2 tests produced over 300 mbps! The game changer on the next few years though will be the white noise frequencies, which the fcc just approved for use. That means companies like Google will have access to huge bandwidths without going through the carriers. That will be exciting.

Sent from my EVO Droid

smalldice

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
snap20101012_022403.png

snap20101012_021516.png

I don't know what people are complaining about 4G I took this screen shots with shoot me. You can see no bars and still get over 5mps.
Take that Att and apple.

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like maybe you had a blip in the system, but are good now. I don't live in a 4g area, alas, but I _LOVED_ it when I was traveling in Oregon recently.

deaofly

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Paladin, its sounds like you need to go to at&t. I mean really, everybody knows that sprint can not talk and surf at the same time unless your on wifi or 4g. You should have done some research before getting the Evo, everything i have read you posted seems like you used to be with at&t and jumped ship to get the coolest phone and 1st have 4g services. It takes time to get 4g up and running. Have you ever heard of the FCC? From what i have read, any carrier needs to go thruough them to put up new towers and equipment. The FCC says how many towers any carrier is allowed to have up in every state.

Mustachio

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm rooted, running Fresh 3.3.0.1, and my wireless tether works great both with 3G and 4G. Of course, some 4G locations are better than others. Sitting in the parking lot out in front of Publix I can crack 6.0 GB/sec...in other places the 4G is lucky to hit 2.0GB/sec.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty