need a tether app that does NOT install PC side drivers

jeeplj8

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
after figuring out today that the salesman told a bold faced lie about tethering, I tried to download an app for tethering. everyone I could find required me to install PC side drivers, but that wont fly on a work computer.

Are there any apps that do not require PC side drivers??

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I would say bluetooth or wifi, but if it's a work PC odds are you may not have either of these options available. Can you ask your IT department to install the HTC drivers? (You really just need htc sync, so maybe if you can spin that off as something you need for work, that might work).

bjtech

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Are you looking for Wired Tether?

The obvious solution is rooted+wireless tether. However, if your work PC is a desktop and does not have WiFi, it would be nice to be able to plug in the USB cable, fire up the app on the phone, and away you go. WM6.1 & 6.5 could do this no problem. I have been looking for this also, as I do not want to install any drivers, etc. on a PC before it can connect. This topic is being discussed here, but aparently there are still a few issues with it. Hopefully, this will be corrected soon, so you can just plug in a USB cable to any PC and connect. If WM could do it, Android should be able to.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
The obvious solution is rooted+wireless tether. However, if your work PC is a desktop and does not have WiFi, it would be nice to be able to plug in the USB cable, fire up the app on the phone, and away you go. WM6.1 & 6.5 could do this no problem. I have been looking for this also, as I do not want to install any drivers, etc. on a PC before it can connect. This topic is being discussed here, but aparently there are still a few issues with it. Hopefully, this will be corrected soon, so you can just plug in a USB cable to any PC and connect. If WM could do it, Android should be able to.

That may be because windows had built in drivers for WM devices, so in a way it does need drivers, they were just already there.

I remember plugging in my old WM phones, Windows would install them at first but I never needed to point to a driver file, at least I think in Vista.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
If your work computer has no Internet, chances are you are not supposed to be on the web at work. We don't want you to get fired so just use your phone to surf the web on the side.

I use Google reader on my phone and have about 15 blogs, forums, and newspapers added to it so no matter where I am I can quickly get to the things on the web I like to keep up with.

jeeplj8

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site

That is basically my situation, ie' no wifi on work PC, so need to use USB.

I do have a USB BT adapter for it though that was for syncing with an older PDA. I wonder if I could get it to work over BT...

Need to do a lot of research on rooting first. I had a Pre that had been rooted, and the process, though somewhat lengthy and frightening to a beginner, was very straightforward.

jeeplj8

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
If your work computer has no Internet, chances are you are not supposed to be on the web at work. We don't want you to get fired so just use your phone to surf the web on the side.

I use Google reader on my phone and have about 15 blogs, forums, and newspapers added to it so no matter where I am I can quickly get to the things on the web I like to keep up with.

lol - we have internet...kinda. We are on a shared T1 and our bandwidth is very small. Very small company, no IT department, etc. I just want to avoid having to install drivers on the machine if at all possible.

The HTC tether on my stock Evo worked for one day before Sprint shut it down. It was beautiful.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
1. is there an "easy root" app he can use which is one button push to toggle it off and on and do no harm?
2. what specifically is the "wireless tether" option you mention that works with rooted phones? is that the built in Sprint or Android Hotspot App or a third party Hotspot app?

thanks!

bjtech

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
1. is there an "easy root" app he can use which is one button push to toggle it off and on and do no harm?
2. what specifically is the "wireless tether" option you mention that works with rooted phones? is that the built in Sprint or Android Hotspot App or a third party Hotspot app?

thanks!

1. There is an "easy root" solution, but many seem to think it may cause problems, so I choose the long route. And it can't be "toggled".

2. Wireless Tether is discussed in a "Sticky" of the ROMs/Hacks section of this forum. It is a seperate app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa