Wierd battery...

chrgnthru

May 15, 2010
Visit site
So, every night I charge my phone. I unplug it at about 630, get ready for work and head out. Lunch time comes at 12pm and my battery level is always at lower 40's percent or high 30's. With very little to no use. So I charge it for about 40 minutes on my lunch break. It'll end up around 80 percent or so. This charge will last me till about 10pm with a very good amount of usage. I find this kind of weird and was wondering if any one had experienced this.

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Read through the battery life threads, you are probably unplugging your phone in the morning after it has fully charged and started running off the battery hours earlier. I give mine a quick refresh on the drive to work to fully charge it again.

Sent from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
If I'm in the car, my phone is plugged in. Check to see how often apps are synchronized, example my weather bug use to be set for hourly, now I have it every four hours. With a lot of apps syncing often it can be a killer.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Read through the battery life threads, you are probably unplugging your phone in the morning after it has fully charged and started running off the battery hours earlier. I give mine a quick refresh on the drive to work to fully charge it again.

Sent from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here by "running off the battery hours earlier".

To the OP. I'm not sure what could be causing your battery to drain for the first 6 hours and then for the last 10 its good. Are you in a 4G city? Do you work in a 4G city and travel from an area that doesn't have 4G? (If so it's probably the phone searching for the 4G signal).

Another thought is maybe there is an app running in the background. Is there an activity you use from 12 to 10 that you dont use between 6am-12?

Marty1781

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand what you mean here by "running off the battery hours earlier".

It means that the battery became fully charged sometime during the night and once it reached 100%, it stopped charging and the phone simply ran off the battery without being charged for the next several hours. Thus, when the OP takes his phone off the charger in the morning, even though it says 100%, it really isn't as the phone has actually been running purely off battery for the past several hours and that's why the battery level drops off so quickly (because he isn't starting his day with a 100% charged battery even though the phone says so). When the OP then plugs in for 40 minutes during lunch, that charge isn't long enough to fully charge the battery, have the charging circuits turn off, then have the phone run off the battery and drain it. The 40 minute charge is simply enough to give it a boost and so the 80% he sees is an accurate report (unlike the 100% level in the morning), and so he experiences battery life that is reflective of an 80% charged battery for the rest of the day. Many people deal with this issue by taking the phone off the charger for 10-15 minutes in the morning, then plug it back in while they get ready for work and then they can start the day with a battery that really is 100% charged.

Last edited:
Reactions: truslide

EVO1Android

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
It means that the battery became fully charged sometime during the night and once it reached 100%, it stopped charging and the phone simply ran off the battery without being charged for the next several hours. Thus, when the OP takes his phone off the charger in the morning, even though it says 100%, it really isn't as the phone has actually been running purely off battery for the past several hours and that's why the battery level drops off so quickly (because he isn't starting his day with a 100% charged battery even though the phone says so). Many people deal with this issue by taking the phone off the charger for 10-15 minutes in the morning, then plug it back in while they get ready for work and then they can start the day with a battery that really is 100% charged.

I do this daily. I will take my phone off the charger and check emails/texts/news for about 10 minutes than put it back on the charger until the LED turns green again. This has greatly improved my battery throughout the day.

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Marty, that makes sense and now I know what you're talking about. It was the way he worded it that didn't make sense... with that said, I don't encounter this and I do the same thing. I charge the phone at night, take it off the charger at 5am, drive to work, leave my phonein the car, I can't bring it in my building, and when I come out at noon its at 80%...

OP... it could be any of these. My suggestion would be to not charge your phone over night. Just charge it when you get to work. When its done, take it off the charger.

callderek#AC

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I just posted a battery life thread yesterday. One thing I'll suggest is to calibrate your battery. The suggestions on this thread are relevant to your question but for overall battery life I'd suggest calibration. I definitely see improvement. I went from 5-6 hrs to 12 easily!

frankiepapa

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I just posted a battery life thread yesterday. One thing I'll suggest is to calibrate your battery. The suggestions on this thread are relevant to your question but for overall battery life I'd suggest calibration. I definitely see improvement. I went from 5-6 hrs to 12 easily!

would you think its too late to calibrate the battery if i have owned the phone since june?

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
No. It's never too late! Lol I don't know if you can wipe batt stats if you're not rooted, but... you can calibrated the battery.

stimulatedboredom

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
It means that the battery became fully charged sometime during the night and once it reached 100%, it stopped charging and the phone simply ran off the battery without being charged for the next several hours. Thus, when the OP takes his phone off the charger in the morning, even though it says 100%, it really isn't as the phone has actually been running purely off battery for the past several hours and that's why the battery level drops off so quickly (because he isn't starting his day with a 100% charged battery even though the phone says so).

If this is true, I really appreciate the clarification on this! I had been commenting recently that my battery seems to be performing better when I toss in a couple of extra charges throughout the day. As stated previously, I will unplug in the morning when it has been on all night, but notice that the battery will drop from 100% to about 88% as I am getting ready. The only other thing I do is listen to the FM Tuner when I walk my dog before jumping in the shower.

Then I will plug in on my 1 hour drive to work (back up to 100%) and get a much slower drain throughout the day.

Also, I noticed after being plugged in all night, it will drop fast (to about 88%), but when it hit's around the 80's, it seems to "stabilize" and drain slower...therefore the explanation about the phone not truly being at 100% when unplugged in the morning, explains why somewhere in the 80's is probably the true battery charge (then the charge in the car brings it up to a true 100%).

Glad I saw this explanation!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty