Network Error whenever I try to load Email - AOL

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so whenever I try to load up my AOL email I get "Network Error" and nothing else.

This has been going on for about a week now. I have restarted my phone countless times, tried removing the account and re-adding it twice. Still no luck. My Yahoo! and Gmail accounts still work just fine.

Anyone have any ideas. I tried searching with no luck and really don't want to do a factory reset.

NuMom2J

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
bump.

this is a concern of mine. i haven't found much info anywhere about being able to use my aol email on this device. that is my main email account (have had it for yearssssssss--haven't used aol software in years, but kept my email account through aol.com). i know that i could have those emails imported to my gmail account but my gmail account is for business ONLY. i really hope that aol email will correctly work WITH push notification as well. i've used blackberry for a few years and i love blackberry's messaging system, so this is a biggie for me moving to the EVO.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
bump.

this is a concern of mine. i haven't found much info anywhere about being able to use my aol email on this device. that is my main email account (have had it for yearssssssss--haven't used aol software in years, but kept my email account through aol.com). i know that i could have those emails imported to my gmail account but my gmail account is for business ONLY. i really hope that aol email will correctly work WITH push notification as well. i've used blackberry for a few years and i love blackberry's messaging system, so this is a biggie for me moving to the EVO.

try this
Long press home screen, select shortcut, get EMAIL.

Put it on face plate or app list, then hit (menu), (account settings), then scroll

down to (incoming settings), put in username and password, imap.aol.com,

(port) 143, ( outgoing server settings) smtp.aol.com, (port) 587, check

(Require sign-in) fill in username/password, next page - select your

settings on this page, including selecting your ringtone etc.

good luck.

Reactions: NuMom2J

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
try this
Long press home screen, select shortcut, get EMAIL.

Put it on face plate or app list, then hit (menu), (account settings), then scroll

down to (incoming settings), put in username and password, imap.aol.com,

(port) 143, ( outgoing server settings) smtp.aol.com, (port) 587, check

(Require sign-in) fill in username/password, next page - select your

settings on this page, including selecting your ringtone etc.

good luck.

That's what all my settings are set as....never changed it...still no luck :(

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
ok download K-9 and put in your aol info there , that should work

Thanks for the idea....but I think I am going to have to call customer service if no one here knows how to fix this....

I hate to think that I would have to use some 3rd party app to get my email when the one that came on the phone doesn't work. It was working fine since June up until this week. So there's gotta be a fix.

If I get an answer tomorrow from customer service I'll post it up here for others.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Trouble-shooting are basic steps that are used to fix most problems. Which sometimes requires a reset of the device. However, a reset of the device should always be your last option.

Basic steps:
Have you tried updating your data profile, it might be a data connection problem.

Have you tried using a computer to log onto your account - to see if the problem is coming from the phone.

Removing and re-adding the account a few times sometime work too.

Remove and reinsert the battery after completely powering down the device wouldn't hurt either.

Note: Help on the forums is usually better than customer service advice. Sometimes not even a hard reset of the device fix the problem - because six out of ten times the problem is a network connection problem and not the account.

Good luck.

dougsyo

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
What's an AOL?:p
They distributed coasters by mail and in magazines in the 90's.

My AOL e-mail quit since yesterday morning too - but only with Sprint's client, K9 works fine.
I wonder if it's related to what broke in streaming audio apps?

While I don't depend on getting e-mail on my phone, it's a great convenience.

Doug

Last edited:

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I have not been able to add my Verizon fios email to the email app since I got my evo had no issues putting it on my pre.have not figured out why yet.get some sought of. Network can't verify your account mesg.

Sent using taptalk.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Just tried it again,authentication failed,please verify account infomation. I have no idea what they want.I had no issues putting my yahoo email in.

Sent using taptalk.

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Trouble-shooting are basic steps that are used to fix most problems. Which sometimes requires a reset of the device. However, a reset of the device should always be your last option.

Basic steps:
Have you tried updating your data profile, it might be a data connection problem.

Have you tried using a computer to log onto your account - to see if the problem is coming from the phone.

Removing and re-adding the account a few times sometime work too.

Remove and reinsert the battery after completely powering down the device wouldn't hurt either.

Note: Help on the forums is usually better than customer service advice. Sometimes not even a hard reset of the device fix the problem - because six out of ten times the problem is a network connection problem and not the account.

Good luck.

Thanks for the ideas:

1. Did the data profile update - no luck. I even tried deleting and re-adding the account again after the refresh.

2. I have logged into my account many many times on the computer. This has been necessary for me to access the email. I am also able to get to it on the phone if I go to AOL.com on the browser....this option is very very slow and glitchy though. (AOL.com isn't very mobile friendly for me)

3. I have removed the account and re-added it probably like 10 times already.

4. Turned off phone, removed battery, waited a couple of minutes. Started up email, removed account, re-added it...no luck!

So in the end I still don't have the email account working. And I do agree that the forums are a much better place for help, that is why I came here first :) But if I am still not able to fix it here, I have no choice but call sprint....but I just have a gut feeling they are going to say "Reset your Phone." That seems to always be their answer. :eek:

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have AOL already set up on phone...but I believe there is a problem with Aol itself today........recieved a lot and I mean alot of returned emails as undeliverable....problem....I didnt send them...(whole nother issue) so it could their servers.....

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I have AOL already set up on phone...but I believe there is a problem with Aol itself today........recieved a lot and I mean alot of returned emails as undeliverable....problem....I didnt send them...(whole nother issue) so it could their servers.....

That's what I thought at first...since AOL generally is poo...

but mine has been happening for at least a week now. My pops has the same phone and AOL email as well...and his has been working fine. So makes me think the problem is my phone, not the network or AOL's servers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non