Read that if I don't know, then ask...

B.Rush

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Hello, this is my first post here. I have a Sprint HTC Hero and looking at all my friends and family with their EVO's and Droid X's makes me look at my little guy and wonder what more he can do.

I know nothing about rooting or flashing; I've read the stickies and to be completely honest most of it went over my head. I had an iTouch and this seems to be alot like jailbreaking but I'm still unsure since I know doing this will void my warranty.

Basically what I'm asking is how would I go about rooting my Hero and "flashing" the Cm6 ROM? I've been told that this is one of the more popular ROMs for the Hero and after seeing a few videos I'd like to give it a shot.

BTW, I'm running the 1.5 firmware and have never received an OTA and when I go to check for system updates I'm always told there are no new ones.

Thank you for any help.

flipfone

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
First off, Welcome to AC! This is a great community, where you can learn.
To answer your questions, Yes rooting is like jailbreaking. You get "Admin" rights to your phone. Flashing is basically copying a software or "ROM" to the phone. You will not see an OTA update for 1.5. OTA updates are like a "windows update" whereas going from 1.5 to 2.1 is like getting a new version of windows. The new version is here HTC Mobile Phone Support - HTC Hero™ (Sprint) - Downloads and you would have to install the Sync Update as well.
If you want to root/flash you can ask and one of us would be happy to explain anything you dont understand or even work you through it thru instant messenger.
CM6 is very popular im using a tweaked version of it called AOSPmod. It runs even faster and more smoothly than CM6.

Hope this helps!!

B.Rush

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Thank you so much, I don't want to be annoying but if its possible for someone to walk me through it that would be great. I would have to update to 2.1 before any rooting is done?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Also note that once you root the 1.5 software you can freely install any ROM, whether on 2.1 or 2.2. The guide Beezy posted is straight to the point and easy to follow; let us know if you need help along the way :)

B.Rush

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
What version of Windows are you using? Also did you check the box for USB debugging?

Windows XP. And yeah that was checked.

I looked through the comments and I was able to find my way past this...somewhat. I was able to uninstall the old driver and once I plug my Hero back in I get the found new hardware popup but Windows automatically installs a driver without giving me the option to browse for the software. -__-

EDIT: Ok I cracked that part of the case, now I'm at the part where I must backup my apps and I'm entering the prompts to the letter but it just doesnt seem to be working. The scrolling begins and seems to go through without a hitch but I check the apps folder and nothing is ever there.

2nd EDIT:I think I've gotten the right prompt now but when I enter it all I get is

pull: building file list...
0 files pulled, 0 files skipped.

Last edited:

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Windows XP. And yeah that was checked.

I looked through the comments and I was able to find my way past this...somewhat. I was able to uninstall the old driver and once I plug my Hero back in I get the found new hardware popup but Windows automatically installs a driver without giving me the option to browse for the software. -__-

EDIT: Ok I cracked that part of the case, now I'm at the part where I must backup my apps and I'm entering the prompts to the letter but it just doesnt seem to be working. The scrolling begins and seems to go through without a hitch but I check the apps folder and nothing is ever there.

2nd EDIT:I think I've gotten the right prompt now but when I enter it all I get is

pull: building file list...
0 files pulled, 0 files skipped.

Can you give a little more detail of where your at on the guide that would be really helpful