How is typing on the Hero? Performance?

candacer

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I know this is probably an annoying post, but I really wanted to hear from current Hero users in order to help make my decision.

I upgraded to a blackberry 8530 because my 8330 worked very well for what I needed (messaging, light web use, GPS) almost 30 days ago, but I can't get the Hero out of my mind. I got the 8530 for a ridiculously cheap price of 30 bucks due to a best buy error and money is definitely a concern, but I dream of the web experience on the Hero. I have no experience with touch screens and despite it feeling cramped sometimes, I type very fast on the physical QWERTY keyboard of the blackberry and as a writer, I'm often writing notes on my blackberry so ease of typing is a must. So for owners, I ask this...

How is typing on the Hero? Do you really get used to it?

How's the response time? I've read about lagging and realistically, the device seems to only have a little more memory than my curve and yet it's expected to do so much more.

Advice?

ksoze

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I came from the Pre, and the 8330 before that... I use swype. Will never have a phone without Swype again. Period.

Stock responds pretty well. Its a learning curve as are all touch keyboards. Finger placements are always off (based on vision) but the stock autocorrect is probably the better ones I have used.

Once again, swype keyboard. Nothing better.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I know this is probably an annoying post, but I really wanted to hear from current Hero users in order to help make my decision.

I upgraded to a blackberry 8530 because my 8330 worked very well for what I needed (messaging, light web use, GPS) almost 30 days ago, but I can't get the Hero out of my mind. I got the 8530 for a ridiculously cheap price of 30 bucks due to a best buy error and money is definitely a concern, but I dream of the web experience on the Hero. I have no experience with touch screens and despite it feeling cramped sometimes, I type very fast on the physical QWERTY keyboard of the blackberry and as a writer, I'm often writing notes on my blackberry so ease of typing is a must. So for owners, I ask this...

How is typing on the Hero? Do you really get used to it?

How's the response time? I've read about lagging and realistically, the device seems to only have a little more memory than my curve and yet it's expected to do so much more.

Advice?

I find its pretty nice. Theres several different keyboards to choose from.It takes a few days to get use to typing.I find that,if you turn heptic feedback(vibrate when typeing)off its better.

anon(12496)

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
I am tempted to say that if you text a lot a qwerty keyboard phone would be better for you. But since you asked for experience with the Hero, here's my two cents:

The HTC soft keyboard is one of the best, or so the Android community says, I like it a lot, actually. The relatively smaller screen is somewhat limiting, portrait mode is okay for shorter messages, a quick search or typing passwords. You'll want to type in landscape for longer texts. Since the keyboard is pretty accurate, I think you could achieve decent typing speed with some practice. It's pretty good with speed as long as you are only typing out something, but if you have apps running in the background it can lag. For example, my Hero is my music player, and I use a BT headset. If I'm listening to music, that combo makes my keyboard lag. So does background download over WiFi. Yes, the Hero is a little short in terms of raw power... :)

Me, I don't type too much, just some browsing, passwords and the occasional message or email. I don't feel the need for a hardware keyboard at all. I have tried the Swype beta too. If you can get used to the way you use that, then it's a decent alternative to a conventional soft keyboard, and you can write faster with it if you practice.

boredmug

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Depends on a lot of variables including the rom you are using and which keyboard you are using. It can be a bit laggy with some roms and in particular the HTC keyboard seems to be the worst offender

oluvinu

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
htc stocl keyboard is slow

Hi my stock HTC keyboard is slow...I also tried the swype and it was slow and bad ar error correcting. I deleated the swype keyboard. Is thirty a better program tor the HTC??.I am rooted eith the 2.1 leaked version.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi my stock HTC keyboard is slow...I also tried the swype and it was slow and bad ar error correcting. I deleated the swype keyboard. Is thirty a better program tor the HTC??.I am rooted eith the 2.1 leaked version.

have you tried to cali. the keyboard and turning heptic feedback off.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I think the keyboard isn't that laggy. If anything I find it annoying it reads my space bar clicks as double and ends up placing a period between works.

melo

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Typing on the hero can get very laggy if you have haptic feedback or sound feedback on even with a custom Rom installed. It was one of my biggest complaints when first got the phone. With those things turned off its decent.

I also have an iPhone and was hoping the virtual keyboard was just as good. its close but its not. Doing the keyboard calibration helped immensely too. Currently I'm at 27 WPM on the hero and I'm at 39 WPM on the iPhone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87