micro sd question

Ripjames

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm looking to upgrade the micro as card that came with my hero and was wondering what class card works best for everyone and how big can I go. The Sprint rep told me I could get a 32gb one but I thought that was new on the droid.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
32 gb class 6 out of the box will work. IF you plan on rooting and installing apps on the SD card, stick with a cheaper card. One thing that doesn't get mentioned much is the fact the running apps or swap files from an SD card on any OS shortens their life by about half. Android is no exception.

doublebullout

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
Does the class really make much difference? I use the card for music, movies, photos, and documents. I doubt I'll ever want to install any apps to it. There seems to be some disagreement regarding the speed advantage of a class 6 card over a class 4, or even class 2. If the difference is just writing speed when the card is mounted via USB, I can live with that.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Biggest difference is when the phone reads app data that's stored on the SD card. Honestly, a class 6 card is by no means fast when compared to data on the internal memory. Having said that, IMO a class 6 card is about 300% faster than a class 2. Never used a class 4 card, but I'd guess it would be somewhere in the middle lol.

Since most apps will store data of some sort on the card, you will see an overall increase in the system speed using a class 6. The biggest difference will be any app (or while in the settings) that reads/writes pictures from the card. Small files (example Robodefense config :) ) isn't that big of an increase.

Now please...this is all from MY EXPERIENCE. Of course HTC and Sprint haven't and probably won't ever comment on the differences.

Dailypush

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Thought I would share from xda-developer forum.. response from HTC
Thank you for taking the time to contact HTC America Technical Support via E-Mail with your inquiry about what class of SD card to use in your Sprint HTC Hero. My name is A.J. and I will be happy to assist you today.

If you are looking to purchase an SD card that the device will read at its full native speed you will need to purchase a class 2. The device will read a class 4 but not at its native speeds.

Frank, if you have any future questions about your device please feel free to visit HTC - Touch Phone, PDA Phone, Smartphone, Mobile Computer and send us another e-mail. You may also enjoy HTC Smartphone Wiki - HTC, which has a plethora of information on HTC devices, including the Sprint HTC Hero! I would also like to invite you to participate in a customer satisfaction survey located at HTC Online Survey I hope you have a great day!

HTC America Technical Support
A.J.

Some have mentioned though that they have seen speeds faster then Class 2 ??

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Wow. That completely disagrees with what I see here running the device. I'm pretty sure it's not a placebo effect and I really do get better performance from a faster card.

I can say for a fact that a 32G class 6 runs, as I've tried it.

kennyidaho

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I personally thought that the device read my 4GB Class 6 card slower then my touch pro. When I got my 8GB Class 6 card it seemed faster.

Zerazac

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Thought I would share from xda-developer forum.. response from HTC

Some have mentioned though that they have seen speeds faster then Class 2 ??

Ok so that last post kinda confused me a little more.
I was thinking of getting an 8 or 16GB class 6 because I heard a class 6 would make your Hero faster. I don't want to buy one if it's not going to work properly. Advice?
ALSO, when I do decide to swap out the cards, will I lose any data? Do I need to transfer it somehow? if so how do I do that? I have mybackup Pro and Wavesecure if that helps? Sorry for the newb questions. But any help is appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance.

Ripjames

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
mine is a class 6 and it works fine, when i changed out the 2 mb to the new one, I just selected all and copied everything over, make sure you have hidden folders viewable though, there are a couple you wont get that certain apps put on it

Ripjames

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
mount the card on your computer, R click, select all, copy to your computer, put the new card in, mount it, paste all that you just copied to it

reagan247

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
ordered my 16GB Class 6 A-Data card from Amazon.com yesterday... will be here on the 14th, so I'll give my thoughts on speed and whatnot... God, I'm so excited to have 16GB on my Hero! haha

kennyidaho

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
mine is a class 6 and it works fine, when i changed out the 2 mb to the new one, I just selected all and copied everything over, make sure you have hidden folders viewable though, there are a couple you wont get that certain apps put on it

Hidden files and directories are identified in Linux via a period in front of the file name so file.txt is not hidden while .file.txt is hidden. Last time I checked Windows (not sure how Mac handles this) was incapable of seeing these has "hidden" they just showed up like normal - except the all have periods in the file name. So if you are using Windows chances are any hidden files or folders on there which can only be seen by enabling the hidden folders / files view were probably put there by Windows. Windows seems to have a nasty habit of doing that.....

Ripjames

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
all of my folders with the period in front of them are shaded like a regular window file, I always have hidden folders visible and that is usually how they show up is as shaded