Question about GPe vs AT&T One with Sense

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I posted this over on the HTC One forum:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...-t-htc-one-sense-htc-one-gpe.html#post3051415

And figured I would ask over here also.

Thanks for any help that anyone can give me to make the decision,
Fred

It's obvious that the GPE will not always get updates faster than it's carriers counterpart as GPE's are still controlled by the carriers. My opinion is that get the AT&T version. This way, if you don't like it, you can always convert it to the GPE and vice versa if you get bored.

gilport

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
It's obvious that the GPE will not always get updates faster than it's carriers counterpart as GPE's are still controlled by the carriers.

HTC One GPE updates are NOT controlled by the carriers. The updates come directly from HTC. They are delayed because HTC has to modify the new Android software from Google in order for it to work on the GPE.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
HTC One GPE updates are NOT controlled by the carriers. The updates come directly from HTC. They are delayed because HTC has to modify the new Android software from Google in order for it to work on the GPE.

No, this has already been discussed and confirmed that the GPe versions ARE controlled by the carriers. Exactly, the updates come from hTc and not Google therefore they go through the carrier for testing and approval (baseband, Radio's, etc.). If they came directly from google...such as the Nexus... then carrier involvement is circumvented.

Last edited:

gilport

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I think you are confusing "carriers" with "OEMs". Carriers are the cell phone companies, such as T-mobile and AT&T. OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturer) are the manufacturers of the devices. HTC and Samsung (the OEM's) will be providing the updates to their respective Google Play Edition Phones, not the carriers. AT&T and T-Mobile will have nothing to do with the updates other than provide the bandwidth.

Last edited:

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I think you are confusing "carrieres" with "OEMs". Carriers are the cell phone companies (T-mobile/ AT&T). Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEMs) are the manufacturers of the devices. HTC and Samsung (the OEM's) will be providing the updates to their respective Google Play Edition Phones, not the carriers. AT&T and T-Mobile will have nothing to do with the updates other than provide the bandwidth service.

This. Thats why when u flash gpe on the regular one u are required to change the cid to make it a google phone and recieve updates from google and HTC.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think you are confusing "carriers" with "OEMs". Carriers are the cell phone companies, such as T-mobile and AT&T. OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturer) are the manufacturers of the devices. HTC and Samsung (the OEM's) will be providing the updates to their respective Google Play Edition Phones, not the carriers. AT&T and T-Mobile will have nothing to do with the updates other than provide the bandwidth.

This.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

austriak

May 25, 2011
Visit site

If you look at HTC's blog post about the Google play edition, it is actually Google that sends out the updates.

" Out of the box, this special edition HTC One will run Android 4.2.2 with subsequent software updates provided by Google."

http://blog.htc.com/2013/05/htc-one-google-nexus-experience/

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

JayPoint

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
" Out of the box, this special edition HTC One will run Android 4.2.2 with subsequent software updates provided by Google."

In fact, I got my GP edition HTC One a couple of weeks ago, charged it up and turned it on to play with it before I'd even gotten over the ATT store to get a sim card for it. Connected it to my home WiFi, and was almost immediately updated to 4.3. So whether it was Google or HTC behind that, it definitely wasn't my carrier. Technically I didn't even have a carrier at the time.

dgwphotography

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
This. Thats why when u flash gpe on the regular one u are required to change the cid to make it a google phone and recieve updates from google and HTC.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2

I was under this impression, too. I only flashed the GE ROM, and the stock recovery, didn't change my Cid, and still got the last OTA.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
at&t Mobility nor any other carrier has any influence with the Google Play Edition HTC ONE nor any other Google Play Edition Handset.

Google sends the SW to HTC, Samsung, Etc and then the manufacturer adds the needed drivers, etc. to make it work on their device.

So, "Nexi" (not sure of the plural of Nexus) phones generally receive updates first as Google controls all sides (HW,SW,etc.) of the device, Google Play Editions second as the manufacturer controls almost all aspects and finally carrier branded handsets which require final approval from the carrier.

So my wife's HTC Google Play Edition Handset receives updates directly from HTC without any intervention from AT&T her wireless provider.

Or to put it another way, at&t is simply a dumb pipe and completely agnostic from her HTC ONE GPE.

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38