Battery Charging Question

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
So I've read mixed reviews here on the Battery section forum and on XDA-Developers and wanted to create this new thread so it does not get missed and mixed on the long battery thread on going.

I've read that when purchasing a new device you should let the battery drain all the way down until the phone shuts off, then charge it back up to 100% and then repeat these steps 4 times in order to properly calibrate the battery. Once you have completed this you can then use your phone normal and charge it accordingly. (Is this still true for the HTC One?)

Another question that I have, I heard that leaving a device on the charge all day for example I work in an office and have access to my charge all day and can keep my phone 100% charged all day. If I do this is this bad for the battery? I've read that it's good because it is using the AC adapter to power the phone and not using the battery. Then I read on another thread that it is bad, because once the phone reaches 100% and if it continues to receive charge aka over charging is bad for the battery life. I also read that once a phone reaches 100% that it stops charging for a certain amount of percentage and then restart charging back up.

So what I would like to know and receive opinions on from multiple people is:

Should I or should I not keep my phone connected to the AC adapter when possible whether the battery is at 100% or not? Will keep the phone always plugged in ruin the life of my battery or will the battery get ruin quicker if i take the phone off the charger let it go down to like 10-20% then put it back on the charger? What are your thoughts and recommendations? Thank you in advance. :confused:

-Mo

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
"Conditioning" a battery like this is not necessary, and I sure wouldn't run it down to zero four times. The worst thing you can do to an LI battery is to drain it all the way and to overcharge it. I've seen no evidence that this conditioning process accomplishes anything, but if you really want to do it only do it once. Electric and hybrid cars are designed to keep the battery in the range of 75% to 25% to ensure maximum battery lifetime. Those batteries are certainly much more expensive than ours, but if you want maximum life out of the battery don't let it drop below 25% on a frequent basis.

Modern phones also won't let you overcharge the battery, unless the phone is defective. See this article for more: Your Smartphone

So it won't hurt anything to leave it plugged in. OTOH, it's not really necessary, either. I generally charge mine over night, and get through the day without plugging it in again until evening. If your battery drains faster, plugging it in during the day is fine. Just don't drain it below 25% frequently.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
"Conditioning" a battery like this is not necessary, and I sure wouldn't run it down to zero four times. The worst thing you can do to an LI battery is to drain it all the way and to overcharge it. I've seen no evidence that this conditioning process accomplishes anything, but if you really want to do it only do it once. Electric and hybrid cars are designed to keep the battery in the range of 75% to 25% to ensure maximum battery lifetime. Those batteries are certainly much more expensive than ours, but if you want maximum life out of the battery don't let it drop below 25% on a frequent basis.

Modern phones also won't let you overcharge the battery, unless the phone is defective. See this article for more: Your Smartphone

So it won't hurt anything to leave it plugged in. OTOH, it's not really necessary, either. I generally charge mine over night, and get through the day without plugging it in again until evening. If your battery drains faster, plugging it in during the day is fine. Just don't drain it below 25% frequently.

Thank you so much for clarifying this. This is perfect and helps me with my current situation. I also get home every day with still 60-40% battery life left. So if keeping my phone always plugged in doesn't help then I will continue to use my phone like I normally would and make sure I don't let it go under 25%. Thanks!!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non