Does Navigation (GPS) uses Data?

ragulto

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the newbie question. I was wondering if navigation (turn by turn) uses a lot of data? I don't have unlimited data plan. There are time that I don't want to use the navigation on my HTC One because i'm afraid that I may go over my data. Can someone enlighten me please. Thank you.

bigtnew

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the newbie question. I was wondering if navigation (turn by turn) uses a lot of data? I don't have unlimited data plan. There are time that I don't want to use the navigation on my HTC One because i'm afraid that I may go over my data. Can someone enlighten me please. Thank you.

Apps like sygic or copiliot where you download the maps do not. The GPS itself is not using the data it is the rendering of the maps. So if you use an app that allows you to download maps like the ones I mentioned you won't use any data.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

The amount of data isn't really that much if you are traveling around town and using map mode instead of satellite . If you are on a road trip it may, but you really don't need the turn by turn on the highway.

You can also cache map data so you can use maps off line, but it won't generate new directions without a data connection.

Raymond Tan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you go to -settings-data- then scroll down it will show you how much data each app is using. The location of the settings on your phone might be different as I am on an S3 with 4.1.2 and I haven't gotten a chance to play with the HTC One yet. For me google nav(maps) takes up very little data and I use it frequently. You can also set a limit on the amount of data that your phone uses so that you do not go over. I think it's in the same menu.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
If you go to -settings-data- then scroll down it will show you how much data each app is using. The location of the settings on your phone might be different as I am on an S3 with 4.1.2 and I haven't gotten a chance to play with the HTC One yet. For me google nav(maps) takes up very little data and I use it frequently. You can also set a limit on the amount of data that your phone uses so that you do not go over. I think it's in the same menu.

Yes, it is under Settings, More, Usage on the One.

Steve Angell1

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
You mentioned Copilot and Sygic. Both are free to install but both also have prices and in app purchasing. Do you have to pay for them to actually work? What is the advantage of buying the app?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
None, really. Maps allows you to download maps if you don't want to use data. You'll need an internet connection if you want to go to a specific address, but you can set that up at home on wifi. (Or you can use MyDirections which only uses data (mobile or wifi) once for each location you enter.

Map apps work by latitude and longitude, so if you put in a street location, the app has to look up the lat/lon online. (My Directions tells Maps to go to a particular lat/lon, so Maps doesn't need a data connection.)

The GPS receiver itself doesn't need to connect to anything but the GPS satellites, and that's free.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87