Did anyone else notice Google took away the download to device option with play music app update

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I just checked for an update and mine says up to date. I'm still able to download to device. When did the update occur?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I just checked for an update and mine says up to date. I'm still able to download to device. When did the update occur?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Where in the app do you see the option? I'm sure we have the same update since mine too is up to date.

Posted via My Developer's Edition HTC one

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
If you go into playlists there is still an option to pin music:

9y9ehubu.jpg

That is on an s4 but I'd imagine it would be the same on a one.

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
You have to "pin" the music to your device. That's what that thumb tack icon thingie is for.

Posted via Android Central App

That's not the same option. That option has always been there and it's similar to cache. There used to be an actual download to device option. But I guess it's gone.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
That's not the same option. That option has always been there and it's similar to cache. There used to be an actual download to device option. But I guess it's gone.

Oh, never seen another option. I've always only seen the "keep on device" option. So I'm not sure.

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Oh, never seen another option. I've always only seen the "keep on device" option. So I'm not sure.

Yeah it used to be accessible when tapping the option icon near the album or song you wanted to download.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah it used to be accessible when tapping the option icon near the album or song you wanted to download.

Hmmm...I am on an older version still and I don't see anything labeled "downloads" other then the download queue, which is your pinned music in process of transfering. To me it seems like Google uses the words download and pinned interchangeably.

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
It is still there. It's the thumbtack. Always been there. Didn't move.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

mmohn01

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Pinned music is only cached. The entire song is not downloaded to your phone like it used to be. I was wondering about this myself. I had to download the myself to the Music Manager app on my computer and then side load them onto my phone. I wish they'd bring that option back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Kevin2314

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
You've only been able to cache the songs to device because you're only able to download songs from Google play 5 times.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I know many people hate amazon and their MP3 Player, but I use it over Google and any other cloud based music storage. It works flawlessly and you can easily download to device. It is worth checking out. The main reason I went with Amazon is because of storage. I have much more than 20,000 songs and I know that is the limit on Google. If they eventually offer a paid service and option to have more space, I would definitely consider switching, but for now, Amazon it is. They also have great MP3 deals and any time you buy from them they give you a dollar credit to use towards purchasing. Good stuff.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Pinned music is only cached. The entire song is not downloaded to your phone like it used to be. I was wondering about this myself. I had to download the myself to the Music Manager app on my computer and then side load them onto my phone. I wish they'd bring that option back.

I've used Google music since release and have never seen an option on the mobile app to actually download music, only to keep on device (pin it) which really just caches it.

So not sure what you and the OP are referring to but maybe I missed that option.

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I've used Google music since release and have never seen an option on the mobile app to actually download music, only to keep on device (pin it) which really just caches it.

So not sure what you and the OP are referring to but maybe I missed that option.

Yup. You missed the option.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

The entire song is downloaded. I know. I've used it in airplane mode.

The difference between the automatic caching and pinning is that pinned music won't be deleted if space is needed.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I know many people hate amazon and their MP3 Player, but I use it over Google and any other cloud based music storage. It works flawlessly and you can easily download to device. It is worth checking out. The main reason I went with Amazon is because of storage. I have much more than 20,000 songs and I know that is the limit on Google. If they eventually offer a paid service and option to have more space, I would definitely consider switching, but for now, Amazon it is. They also have great MP3 deals and any time you buy from them they give you a dollar credit to use towards purchasing. Good stuff.

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...//play.google.com/about/music/&token=EovrMOdK

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Yup. You missed the option.

Perhaps we are talking the same thing and not realizing it. When you pin or choose to keep on device for a song, album, playlist... That music is downloaded to the phone and is available even if the phone has no network connectivity.

It's not downloaded in a format you can then find it on the phone as an mp3, it is in some cache. That's how it's always worked and from what I'm seeing still works the same way.

You can see the music you have "pinned" it will show up when you select the music on device:

puny6a9y.jpg

y2amyrab.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress