Moving to HTC One from iPhone - Questions

FireRunner

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

I've been a long time gadget nut and for years I loved the iPhone, but when the HTC One was released this year I was in awe of how beautiful it was and how (seemingly) smooth the UI was. Over the years my phone has become more of a work phone than a personal phone. I don't know games on it and most of the apps I use are functional or news apps rather than "toy" apps. With this I'm very close to selling my iPhone 5 and buying an HTC One off contract with Verizon. I've been reading articles and watching videos on the phone, but I have a few specific questions and hoping folks here can assist. Thank you in advance from a possible new Android and HTC One user!

1. I use MS Outlook for my calendar, task list and contacts. Can these three items sync with the HTC One easily? I've read you need to download apps (not fee), etc. I do not need to sync email. Also, can calendar and task list be listed on the homepage so you see your daily focus?

2. I used to use BlackBerry and held it in a belt pouch. Sure, maybe it looked "geeky" but it's the easiest way to hold a smartphone. After I left the BlackBerry and moved to the iPhone full time (used to carry both - one for work one for personal) I ended up keeping the phone in my pant pocket. Problem is the iPhone is tall and bulky and it shifts around in very uncomfortable positions. With the HTC One being larger (which I do love) I was thinking of using a carrying pouch again. How do you carry it without a case? The phone is too beautiful to use a case and I'm pretty careful with my phone. But, if you do use a case does anyone have the one that can hold the phone at an angle?

3. I have only a few apps regularly: Twitter, Bloomberg (or stock/market news), ESPN (or sports news). How well do these apps show and function on the HTC One? On the iPhone's iOS they run very smooth which I love. I would say 75% of my app use are these three apps.

4. Is YouTube and Google Maps the best on Android phones? I'm assuming both apps would work smoothly since they are owned by Google.

Thanks for the feedback and I look forward to reading the responses.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

I've been a long time gadget nut and for years I loved the iPhone, but when the HTC One was released this year I was in awe of how beautiful it was and how (seemingly) smooth the UI was. Over the years my phone has become more of a work phone than a personal phone. I don't know games on it and most of the apps I use are functional or news apps rather than "toy" apps. With this I'm very close to selling my iPhone 5 and buying an HTC One off contract with Verizon. I've been reading articles and watching videos on the phone, but I have a few specific questions and hoping folks here can assist. Thank you in advance from a possible new Android and HTC One user!

1. I use MS Outlook for my calendar, task list and contacts. Can these three items sync with the HTC One easily? I've read you need to download apps (not fee), etc. I do not need to sync email. Also, can calendar and task list be listed on the homepage so you see your daily focus?

2. I used to use BlackBerry and held it in a belt pouch. Sure, maybe it looked "geeky" but it's the easiest way to hold a smartphone. After I left the BlackBerry and moved to the iPhone full time (used to carry both - one for work one for personal) I ended up keeping the phone in my pant pocket. Problem is the iPhone is tall and bulky and it shifts around in very uncomfortable positions. With the HTC One being larger (which I do love) I was thinking of using a carrying pouch again. How do you carry it without a case? The phone is too beautiful to use a case and I'm pretty careful with my phone. But, if you do use a case does anyone have the one that can hold the phone at an angle?

3. I have only a few apps regularly: Twitter, Bloomberg (or stock/market news), ESPN (or sports news). How well do these apps show and function on the HTC One? On the iPhone's iOS they run very smooth which I love. I would say 75% of my app use are these three apps.

4. Is YouTube and Google Maps the best on Android phones? I'm assuming both apps would work smoothly since they are owned by Google.

Thanks for the feedback and I look forward to reading the responses.

1. No idea. I cannot honestly say I use those services so I will refrain from commenting so someone better suited to give you an answer will do so.

2. There are a few cases with holsters available. Otterbox is one, for example. Look for one that has a ratcheting belt clip. They usually hold it in a position you want pretty well. Personally, I keep my phone uncased in my pocket. No problems other than times I was at fault.

3. There are better third party twitter apps in my opinion on the Play Store. The official one, while getting better, still isn't my favorite. I use Carbon, and that one Andrew Martonik uses works really well also. Bloomberg and ESPN work pretty well.

4. Yep, they work great.

David_LFC

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
2 I don't use a cover and just keep in my front pocket... Just make sure I don't have a key or loose change..... Personally never used a cover for any phone including all the various iPhones. Why hide something that looks so good.

3. I use stock to get individual notifications,from certain people I follow. I tried about 10 different ones when i first transferred across and settled on plume or falcon pro. (Google how to get falcon). Not tried carbon but this is the 2nd time I've seen recommended so when I get my phone back will try it. On iOS my favourite was tweeting had or echofon

4. Yep

aaronsummers

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I dropped my iPhone 5 and went to the HTC One. It is a absolutely beautiful phone!

1. I use my HTC One with Microsoft Exchange which is email, calendar, and contacts. I have the contacts turned off but the email works great and the calendar is in my opinion much better than the iOS calendar.

2. I have a case on the phone just so I don't scratch it up but I care it in my front right pocket with no issues. It does not feel to large in my pocket.

3. I took screen shots of my apps that I use on my iPhone before I sold it and downloaded the same exact same apps on the HTC except one app which had an alternative app that works fine.

4. The Google Maps app works well from my limited time using it, I've only had the phone about a month so I've not had much time to use it.

This was my first android phone, I've had an iPhone since the 3g and I absolutely love the HTC One, this phone has made me fall in love with android OS.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Actually, the Sense 5 (HTC's "skin" of Android) calendar and email native apps are really nice. You should have no problem plugging in all of your email addresses to the mail app. All of Google's services have nice, functional apps. I'm not a twitter guy, but Kevin mentioned Carbon, also Falcon Pro is a popular twitter client on Android.

Overall, you will be happy with the speed and smoothness of the HTC One - it really matches or exceeds the iPhone 5 on that.

Oh, and as far as task lists - you can use widgets which will display calendar/tasks/email/fb/twitter really whatever you can think of. You can resize the widgets and arrange any of your home screens however you like. Some popular widget apps are Beautiful Widgets, HD Widgets. Go take a look in the Play Store before you jump, you can get a feel for what you might do.

Make sure to make another post if you join the HTC Army!

FireRunner

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. The reason the sync with Outlook is important is because I use it at work. I have my entire schedule (calendar), contacts and task list inside Outlook. So, it's vital that I can sync these items with my phone. With the iPhone 5 now only the calendar and contacts sync, but it's buggy and a real pain.

I've watched so many videos on the HTC One I can't wait to try it out. Ever since launch I thought the phone was beautiful, even surprised it doesn't outsell the S4. But, that's probably due to more marketing on Samsungs part. I used to play games and use a lot of different apps, but over the last year I've realized I've resorted to only using about 5-6 apps regularly. Now, I'm more okay with moving away from the iOS ecosystem...even though I've invested a ton of money (apps, music, tones, movies, etc). But, I want a better screen and more functionality for my businesses and investing.

Thanks again for the replies.

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
There is an app called mOffice- Outlook sync in the Play store that will do what you are looking for. Also if you choose to carry your phone without a case I would recommend at least putting a Zagg screen protector on it. They cost a little more but they are guaranteed for life if you register it.

FireRunner

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info on the Outlook app, I'll be looking into that.

I happen to have time yesterday and stopped by a Verizon store. I picked up a HTC One at full price so I could test it out without being under a contract. A few things so far.

1. I wasn't too happy with the Verizon store service. For one I know I did not get a new HTC One. Being an IT and gadget nut I can tell when a phone is new or not. For starters they didn't let me see the phone before trying to set it up. Then, I noticed there was a SIM card already in the phone. The phone was also completely dead, and I found out afterward this is because someone turned the phone on and placed it back into the box (the box is tight so when you place the phone back into the box the power button is pressed and the phone stays on). Lastly, after they set everything up I got home to find minor scratches around the phone. They are very minor but...I just paid $600 for a phone. I expect it to be new.

2. Coming from almost five years of iOS (and I still have my iPhone 5) it was a little tough adjusting to different commands. Overall it's not too bad. It's basically muscle memory with my iPhone that obviously doesn't translate to the Android system. After about 20-30 minutes I downloaded all my core apps and I set everything. I haven't tested everything out with my work computer so that will have to wait.

3. One item that really concerns me is the battery. I charged it to 100% last night at 8pm and then placed the phone on standby. I never turned it on until this morning at 9am and the battery was at 57% (I had no apps open or email accounts linked). That is really odd to me as I've read complaints about HTC One battery issues. If my phone is buggy I plan on returning it for a new phone, not keeping a defective battery after paying $600!

I'm going to play and set up my phone more and see if there's a real issue with the battery. But, so far the phone screen and build is amazing!

Last edited:

dotB

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I would very much return it, sounds like it might be a refurbished phone. VZW doesn't use SIM cards so.. not sure what that is about unless the last user was saving contacts on it or something. But I've not used VZW for over 10 years. Battery drainage can be due to apps, if you go into settings and battery you can see what is using the most. Applications that auto sync like Facebook, Twitter, and other social sites (as well as blinkfeed) can drain on the battery even when not in use.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info on the Outlook app, I'll be looking into that.

I happen to have time yesterday and stopped by a Verizon store. I picked up a HTC One at full price so I could test it out without being under a contract. A few things so far.

1. I wasn't too happy with the Verizon store service. For one I know I did not get a new HTC One. Being an IT and gadget nut I can tell when a phone is new or not. For starters they didn't let me see the phone before trying to set it up. Then, I noticed there was a SIM card already in the phone. The phone was also completely dead, and I found out afterward this is because someone turned the phone on and placed it back into the box (the box is tight so when you place the phone back into the box the power button is pressed and the phone stays on). Lastly, after they set everything up I got home to find minor scratches around the phone. They are very minor but...I just paid $600 for a phone. I expect it to be new.

2. Coming from almost five years of iOS (and I still have my iPhone 5) it was a little tough adjusting to different commands. Overall it's not too bad. It's basically muscle memory with my iPhone that obviously doesn't translate to the Android system. After about 20-30 minutes I downloaded all my core apps and I set everything. I haven't tested everything out with my work computer so that will have to wait.

3. One item that really concerns me is the battery. I charged it to 100% last night at 8pm and then placed the phone on standby. I never turned it on until this morning at 9am and the battery was at 57% (I had no apps open or email accounts linked). That is really odd to me as I've read complaints about HTC One battery issues. If my phone is buggy I plan on returning it for a new phone, not keeping a defective battery after paying $600!

I'm going to play and set up my phone more and see if there's a real issue with the battery. But, so far the phone screen and build is amazing!

I would demand an exchange on the phone as it was obviously used.
Then, as far as the SIM card, some (not sure about VZW) will come with the card pre-installed.
For battery life, once you exchange it for a new one, give it some type to go through a few charge cycles. The battery tends to get better about 1 to 2 weeks of use. (at least it is what I though)... I'm a regular to somewhat heavy user as I use it to play games, check news, emails, etc. I usually will get a good 14 to 16 hours of use and still have some battery left. Also, there are ways to improve on battery life depending on your usage...

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Quick note regarding Google Maps: Downgrade to the stock version of Maps that comes with the phone (6.14.2 I think). Otherwise you lose access to My Maps and starred locations, and gain nothing. They said they will restore those functions someday. Until then, the stock version is the best.

kpxstar9

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
I would very much return it, sounds like it might be a refurbished phone. VZW doesn't use SIM cards so.. not sure what that is about unless the last user was saving contacts on it or something. But I've not used VZW for over 10 years. Battery drainage can be due to apps, if you go into settings and battery you can see what is using the most. Applications that auto sync like Facebook, Twitter, and other social sites (as well as blinkfeed) can drain on the battery even when not in use.

VZW LTE service uses a SIM card...which comes pre installed on the one