Day 1 Battery Life on the HTC One

andog88

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
ok so I just got the black 32 gb HTC One yesterday and I thought I'd share this with anybody who is considering buying this phone with a battery life update since most of the threads on battery life are weeks or months old. I'll try to keep this as detailed as I possibly can. I'll type in lines instead of a big paragraph so it'll be easier to read because paragraphs are boring.

I am at 27% right now running on 9 hours 38 minutes of battery time, I DID NOT leave it on or charge it at night when I slept. I turned it off because I wanted to get the most life out of my battery without sleep or stand by time taking a piece of it.

I dont know any battery app telling me my on screen time but I can guarentee you I have used about 4-5 hours of on screen time with this phone, if not more. I do not remember letting my phone stay on sleep for more then 30 minutes or an hour.

But of that 5-6 hours of usage time, I was on WiFi for about 80% of that time. I turned on my phone and resetted it and put it right to charge up until I saw the green light and let it charge about 30 minutes more then took it off charge and used it.

I was on Instagram for about 90 minutes, YouTube about 30 minutes, browsing for about 30 minutes, messing around with the camera for about 45 minutes, doing normal phone set up stuff; editing options; updating apps, and just going through the menu to check the phone out stuff like that, texting, a couple phone calls total time like 10 minutes talk time, messing around with BlinkFeed.

I turn off WiFi when I leave my house, I have location services ON, Power Saver OFF, Bluetooth OFF, NFC OFF, no emails syncing, no widgets, Brightness NOT on auto; its a little under half way but like a millimeter less, blinkfeed (i manually scroll down and sync it when I need it), beats audio ON, phone on ring, typing vibrate feedback off & sound feedback off, flash player OFF.

Apps that are Disabled - amazon kindle, AT&t locker, AT&t navigator, AT&T ready2go, Facebook, google playbooks, google play magazines, google +, LIVE TV, ringtone trimmer, soundhound, tuneIN radio, Twitter, YPMobile

And I just used another 5-6 minutes of screen time not on wifi checking out my options to type in here and checking out my disabled apps and I am down to 26%.

Feel free to ask any questions :)

Last edited:

RicM211

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
download gsm and then tell me the screen time, because that is where I get really sad. I am honestly only getting 3 hours on average barely. Whenever I use my phone for burst of time with screen usage my battery goes to crap. I tried clearing the cache, because I do not want to factory reset, sigh.

andog88

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
download gsm and then tell me the screen time, because that is where I get really sad. I am honestly only getting 3 hours on average barely. Whenever I use my phone for burst of time with screen usage my battery goes to crap. I tried clearing the cache, because I do not want to factory reset, sigh.

honestly I rather not, I just feel like those battery apps or app killing apps are the ones that drain battery. I posted this at 3:06 pm and its 7:58 pm right now in los angeles and I am at 15% with about 45 minutes of usage since 3:06 like some instagram, little web browsing checking scores on espn and stuff. I am not lying bro, I posted this to give people an idea of how good it could be from the start on day 1, so if your battery is anything less and your phone set up is like mine (example: which apps disabled, which features are on or off, brightness, etc), go and exchange your phone for another one.

and seriously I think its just luck of the draw, if you get a good copy of the phone or not, before this 2 weeks ago i got a Moto x which i was getting 2hrs 30 mins of screen time when everybody was talking about 4-5 hours, I felt like crap.

and I reseted my phone right when I turned it on, THEN started setting the options and updating apps and disabling unwanted apps, etc for about 15 minutes then put it on charge when the phone was turned off; which took about 3 and half hours to fully charge, and I let it still charge about 30 minutes even after the notification light was green.

BygSii

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I've been getting more than five hours of screen time per charge. Here you see I have over two and half hours screen time using better battery stats, and I have more than 50% battery left.

RicM211

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
thanks for the reply guys, but I'll give you this classic example for me. I only used the phone for general texting and checking a tiny bit of internet most of the day until around 9 o clock tonight. I had about 1 hour of screen time with 73% battery life left. Then I finally used my phone to catch up on blogs and read for about 45 minutes while cooking and this happened. View attachment 80909View attachment 80908View attachment 80908View attachment 80911View attachment 80912

help? I have all location settings turned off, facebook notifications off, wifi off during sleep and Lux managing my screen brightness which barely ever past 50%. I dont know, I hear all these awesome stories but I dont think mine is cutting it. It's 1 month old.

It's great at standby but as soon as I start using it, it exponentially goes down and i'm not even playing games or watching videos is the sad part.

RicM211

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 80913

As soon as I start using the phone from standby, it drains way too quickly

I had used the phone lightly just for texting and some browsing all day. I started using the phone around 9 and it drained so fast. The sad part is all I was doing was reading blogs on pulse, not even playing video or anything.

Screenshot_2013-09-11-22-02-53.jpg
Screenshot_2013-09-11-22-02-28.jpg

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

I get the same amount sadly.

Posted via HTC One on their cool app

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The phone needs a few days to settle in. You can't get an accurate reading of what battery life will be after one day.

Sent from my Moto X

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
honestly I rather not, I just feel like those battery apps or app killing apps are the ones that drain battery.
GSam is an app that gives you much more accurate information about what has been using the battery. It's not an app designed to change how your phone works at all to save battery. I doubt it uses any more battery than any other method you might use to see how much battery has been used.

andog88

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 80913

As soon as I start using the phone from standby, it drains way too quickly

I had used the phone lightly just for texting and some browsing all day. I started using the phone around 9 and it drained so fast. The sad part is all I was doing was reading blogs on pulse, not even playing video or anything.

View attachment 80916
View attachment 80917

i know what you mean, my moto x from 2 weeks ago would lose 1% about every minute or so of use. Dont wait any longer, if you purchased this phone from AT&T and not craigslist or something, call it in and use warranty, they'll send you a "certified like-new" htc one (NOT refurbished, theres a big difference). then when you receive the one they send you, you put the one you have in the same box and ship it back - free of charge.

andog88

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
oh and I have Google Now turned off, I use google voice search basically the same thing just without the ability to set reminders or call or text people, its just used for search and navigation. GOogle Now uses crazy amount of battery from what I heard

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
ricm211 has an arrant app constantly running using cpu cycles is my best guess as to why his phone drains quickly.

If I were you, I would use Gsam and figure out what app is the culprit and delete it. Then re-install and see if it happens again. I've had this problem on multiple different phones so it's not just specific to the ONE.

BygSii

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
My trick to achieving more than 5 hours of screen time and only 1% battery loss per hour.

1. Don't run any battery saver apps. I ran the snap dragon battery guru and it turned out I was only getting about ten hours of battery no matter what. Now I get more than 15 hours on a normal day.

2. Go to settings, apps, and disable anything you are not going to use. Play Magazine, Play Books, VZ Navigator, ect.

3. Disable vibrate. Calls it's ok, but for your keyboard, back and home buttons, they are a battery drainer after a while. For my keyboard, I gotta have sound click turned on.

4. Turn accounts and sync off. Trust me, you will still receive notifications on certain apps. But it's better to check your email when you want to check it, than have your phone automatically check it for you every hour.

5.auto brightness turned on. It's been working for me. Darker when it needs to be, brighter when it has to.

6. No third party apps. That means no swift key, no Swype, no go sms, these also run with your dedicated stock apps and drain even more battery when you combine them.

7. Beats off. You can actually get better battery life. But I like my music so I keep it on.

8. Bonus. I've actually been running a live Wallpaper called space colony, and it seems to have the same battery life as if I ran a normal background.

9. I do use Better Battery Stats. It will tell you what is draining your battery. For instance, Sleep Mode in battery settings uses up battery whether or not it is turned on.

10. Dim screen during loading websites. Found in the internet settings under accessibility. Every little bit helps.

Take these steps in consideration when wanting to achieve better battery life. Remember I follow all these steps and I get an average of five hours screen time and an average of 16 hours a day.

austriak

May 25, 2011
Visit site
My trick to achieving more than 5 hours of screen time and only 1% battery loss per hour.

1. Don't run any battery saver apps. I ran the snap dragon battery guru and it turned out I was only getting about ten hours of battery no matter what. Now I get more than 15 hours on a normal day.

2. Go to settings, apps, and disable anything you are not going to use. Play Magazine, Play Books, VZ Navigator, ect.

3. Disable vibrate. Calls it's ok, but for your keyboard, back and home buttons, they are a battery drainer after a while. For my keyboard, I gotta have sound click turned on.

4. Turn accounts and sync off. Trust me, you will still receive notifications on certain apps. But it's better to check your email when you want to check it, than have your phone automatically check it for you every hour.

5.auto brightness turned on. It's been working for me. Darker when it needs to be, brighter when it has to.

6. No third party apps. That means no swift key, no Swype, no go sms, these also run with your dedicated stock apps and drain even more battery when you combine them.

7. Beats off. You can actually get better battery life. But I like my music so I keep it on.

8. Bonus. I've actually been running a live Wallpaper called space colony, and it seems to have the same battery life as if I ran a normal background.

9. I do use Better Battery Stats. It will tell you what is draining your battery. For instance, Sleep Mode in battery settings uses up battery whether or not it is turned on.

10. Dim screen during loading websites. Found in the internet settings under accessibility. Every little bit helps.

Take these steps in consideration when wanting to achieve better battery life. Remember I follow all these steps and I get an average of five hours screen time and an average of 16 hours a day.

No third party apps and turn everything off. Okay, so what is the point of having the phone if you don't really use it for what you want?

BygSii

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I love the stock keyboard and messaging app, that is part of the decision of buying a phone. I don't turn everything off, I just turn off things that I don't use, or take up too much battery.

Only thing I wish to keep turned on is Sync, but if I turn it off, wait a day, turn it back on, I can see which apps have updated, and turn sync back off. I now know that if I want my pictures backed up on google+, facebook post, gmail and email updates, i just click on those apps and they update.

From my test that I have done, turning sync off saves me about 2% battery life per hour, which equates to about 20% extra battery life or more per day.

Turned on are WiFi, NFC, Beats, GPS, and Google Now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress