Outdated Android version on AT&T? (4.1.2)

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm a recent Android convert so I'm not entirely up to date with version history. Just checked my HTC One phone that's on AT&T and the settings app reports that I'm on version 4.1.2. After Googling around, I see 4.3+ is out there. When I attempt to update the software, it says that my software is up to date. Is this normal or am I doing something completely incorrectly?

Thanks.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Is your phone unlocked and being used in another carrier/country? I'm not sure if that's why, but a friend of mine has an AT&T S3 that he got unblocked, using a Mexican SIM card and even though there have been a couple of updates so far (even 4.3 now), his is still stuck in 4.1.2 as well. What's odd is that even trying to update via WiFi (which shouldn't have anything to do with the SIM) yields the same 'up to date' message.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
you should be able to update to 4.3 since ATT has pushed that update weeks ago.

go to settings > apps > all and find 'updater'.

clear the cache.

restart the phone.

try updating again.

TechNashville

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
My guess is it is not stock. Download root checker from the Play Store and see if the phone is rooted. That will give us somewhat of a starting point.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(8215685)

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
The most recent version is 4.4. ( Actually it's 4.4.2, but I think that maybe for certain devices.) If your phone is saying your software is up to date, it is for AT&T. I'm relatively new to Android, but from what I understand, after Google releases an update/new version the device manufacturers (HTC, Samsung, etc.) get it first. They tweak and/or tailor it for their devices, test it, and release it to the carriers (AT&T). They in turn test it and then send it out to their users. You'll get a pop-up/dialog notification when it's being sent out by AT&T. You should visit the HTC AT&T forum here for info and a heads up when AT&T is sending out updates.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
The most recent version is 4.4. ( Actually it's 4.4.2, but I think that maybe for certain devices.) If your phone is saying your software is up to date, it is for AT&T. I'm relatively new to Android, but from what I understand, after Google releases an update/new version the device manufacturers (HTC, Samsung, etc.) get it first. They tweak and/or tailor it for their devices, test it, and release it to the carriers (AT&T). They in turn test it and then send it out to their users. You'll get a pop-up/dialog notification when it's being sent out by AT&T. You should visit the HTC AT&T forum here for info and a heads up when AT&T is sending out updates.

Android 4.3 update for AT&T HTC One now pushing out | Android Central

4.4 is only available for unlocked, developer and google versions.

Steve Richards21

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem upgrading. The phone isn't rooted (bought from best buy in July on at&t plan). Any way to update it without deleting all my data? I'm sick on the pink color of the camera in darker light so I'm hoping this update fixes that! Should I call best buy or at&t?

anon(8215685)

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem upgrading. The phone isn't rooted (bought from best buy in July on at&t plan). Any way to update it without deleting all my data? I'm sick on the pink color of the camera in darker light so I'm hoping this update fixes that! Should I call best buy or at&t?

Updating/upgrading your phone won't delete your data. Unfortunately, the issue with the camera is a hardware issue. The phone will have to be repaired or replaced.

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Ohhh I wasn't aware about the 'all' under apps, cool.. thanks for that. I went ahead and cleared data/cache and now it seems to finally be downloading something which it couldn't find before. Thanks for the super useful advice. I hope this is 4.3. I'll confirm in a moment.

BTW, this isn't unlocked or anything fancy. I simply called AT&T and ordered the phone through them through a normal upgrade process.

you should be able to update to 4.3 since ATT has pushed that update weeks ago.

go to settings > apps > all and find 'updater'.

clear the cache.

restart the phone.

try updating again.

TechNashville

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Ohhh I wasn't aware about the 'all' under apps, cool.. thanks for that. I went ahead and cleared data/cache and now it seems to finally be downloading something which it couldn't find before. Thanks for the super useful advice. I hope this is 4.3. I'll confirm in a moment.

BTW, this isn't unlocked or anything fancy. I simply called AT&T and ordered the phone through them through a normal upgrade process.

Let us know if it worked out.

To the other gentleman with a similar problem, try following the instructions this guy did to see if the issue resolves. If not, the RUU works, but will wipe everything. If you use HTC Sync to back up your phone beforehand, though, you can easily restore your settings, including your home screen layout, once you have updated.

TechNashville

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Updating/upgrading your phone won't delete your data. Unfortunately, the issue with the camera is a hardware issue. The phone will have to be repaired or replaced.

That's not completely accurate. It is a mixture of a hardware and software issue. Some folks have had the problem resolve after the update.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89