HTC One (M8): Dot View Case hinge - Is it a problem?

karaze49

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the fence about getting this case. I'm reading most places that the hinge is really stiff and that it's really awkward when folding it all the way. So for anyone who has this case, is it really that bad?

Last edited by a moderator:

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Dot View Case hinge: Is it a problem?

The one I tried was really smooth. Didn't flop open but wasn't stiff either. Closed completely. Was a really good quality case but wouldn't benefit me so I didn't opt for it.

sb1776

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

It's not that stiff. It's pretty easy to fold back, although you do have to hold on to it or it'll swing back closed.

To be honest, I'm interested to see if it stays stiff enough. I say that because the front is a tackier rubber, and the back is smooth plastic. In pockets, I can see the rubber getting traction and pulling/twisting, perhaps wearing out quickly.

But anyway, I like it, it's pretty good. I'll probably rotate it with something else, and I can't really recommend it being worth 45 bucks, but I'm glad I got it.

karaze49

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

Cool thanks. The phone is just too damn sleek, but I want to cover it as well. I'll probably alternate between cases too. That 45-50 price point is pretty steep though.

Sent from my 831C using AC Forums mobile app

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site

I think I'm going to alternate between the OtterBox Commuter and I kind of want to try this case even though it is expensive. Then I found a cheap $12 casefoff Amazon that I want with a kickstand that won't be out for a couple weeks.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site

I have the case.... the dots are cool, however I am beginning to have 2nd thoughts about it. I used a folio case on the S4 and could type on the screen just fine when the cover was flipped over on the back of the phone. I attribute this to the relative flat back of the S4. Not so with the M8. The M8's curved back means the cover when folded over makes typing on device a bit of a hassle if you ask me.

Didn't think I would..... but I am thinking of returning it.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site

Oh really! I just think it's cool and wanted to try it but it is expensive and I think I'll just stick with my Otterbox Commuter or do the Seidio Active and this 11.95 kickstand case off Amazon. Otterbox is out now though Seidio isn't so I guess they win. There always out 1st. Now that my car dock broke I need a new one of those and I want this expensive Zagg glass protector so
I don't really need the dot case.

I have the case.... the dots are cool, however I am beginning to have 2nd thoughts about it. I used a folio case on the S4 and could type on the screen just fine when the cover was flipped over on the back of the phone. I attribute this to the relative flat back of the S4. Not so with the M8. The M8's curved back means the cover when folded over makes typing on device a bit of a hassle if you ask me.

Didn't think I would..... but I am thinking of returning it.

bucketheadmn

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site

I am also wondering about the hinge. I use a ProClip Car Holder and want to make sure the M8 will go in no problem. Anyone with a Dot Case use a car holder - can the Dot Case flip all the way over so the M8 slides in? Or do you have to take the case off to slide the phone into a holder? Thanks.

iNiREALiZED

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

I have the case. This is only the second day with it. I say it would be a bit of stretch to say it doesn't cause some hindrance when trying to type while folded over. This is however my first cover style case and I still don't find it a huge deal and feel it is something I'll learn to operate better and more naturally over time. All in all I'd say I love the case. Awesome in use in-call, and offers pretty decent protection. All in all I will probably be switching between this and some type of body skin. Using the body skin during the week at home, and using the dot view case on night outs and the weekend.

keri2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

I got my case yesterday and was really excited about it. This is the first case I have had with the flip cover, so maybe it's just not my thing, but I am having a hard time managing with it. I don't like that it doesn't fold flat on the back of the phone and I am having a tough time doing simple things like taking pictures because i have to hold the phone with the case flipped down and it just feels awkward. Also, the cover isn't sitting flat against the front screen either. It is lifted a bit off. I love it otherwise but I am probably not going to keep it simply because I don't really like the form factor of the flip-type case.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site

See I've never had that type of case neither and I thought it was cool at 1st but I don't think I would like it neither. I am just getting my normal Otterbox Commuter cause it's out now and Seidio isn't out yet.

I got my case yesterday and was really excited about it. This is the first case I have had with the flip cover, so maybe it's just not my thing, but I am having a hard time managing with it. I don't like that it doesn't fold flat on the back of the phone and I am having a tough time doing simple things like taking pictures because i have to hold the phone with the case flipped down and it just feels awkward. Also, the cover isn't sitting flat against the front screen either. It is lifted a bit off. I love it otherwise but I am probably not going to keep it simply because I don't really like the form factor of the flip-type case.

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

I too have this case, and while I love it, the ONLY time I have a problem is trying to text using one hand lol. Maybe my cover is alittle stiff but one would think that the weight of the phone would keep the back down against the lid, but it doesnt!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty