MMS Compression on AT&T HTC One (M8)

astarling10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed when sending pics that the M8 compresses the crap out of the pic before it is sent. I have the MMS set at 1000kb (the default) but most of the time, the pic is compressed to around 75kb. Anyone else noticing it? I think I read that AT&T doesn't allow pics larger than 600kb to go through but 75kb is a long way from 600kb. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason Stroud1

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: MMS Compression on AT&T M8

I've noticed when sending pics that the M8 compresses the crap out of the pic before it is sent. I have the MMS set at 1000kb (the default) but most of the time, the pic is compressed to around 75kb. Anyone else noticing it? I think I read that AT&T doesn't allow pics larger than 600kb to go through but 75kb is a long way from 600kb. Thoughts?

It does the same thing on my at&t m7

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Jason Stroud1

May 20, 2013
Visit site

Hmm I had a M7 and I don't remember it being that bad. I did run custom roms quite a bit then so maybe the rom dev fixed it. I guess I'll root and install a rom.

Well I don't know if its as bad, but I notice the compression because it makes my pictures look horrible

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site

My Note II had the same problem receiving MMSes from other phones, almost everything that came in was blurred horribly and I have no idea how to fix it - let alone on the M8 and outgoing. I still can't get my LED to work correctly.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I just checked on a picture I took of my girlfriend and the original pic was 2.12mb. When I texted it to her the resulting pic was 705kb. It doesn't look horribly compressed either. I'm on AT&T as well

Posted via Android Central App

astarling10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

I just checked on a picture I took of my girlfriend and the original pic was 2.12mb. When I texted it to her the resulting pic was 705kb. It doesn't look horribly compressed either. I'm on AT&T as well

What shooting mode did you use to take the pic?

Posted via Android Central App

ZekkRagnos

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site

did anyone found the fix for this? I really like the stock messaging app but can't use it if pictures are over compressed

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
AT&T does this. They compress the pictures alot and there isn't really a way around it.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

astarling10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
my fix for this was going back to my Nexus 5. Now my pic messages are 500-600kb. I also started to notice having trouble receiving messages from my friends who have Verizon. The text would come through but the pic would be blank.

ZekkRagnos

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I started using Hangouts and pictures are sent fine with way better quality than the stock messaging app, but I don't like how Hangouts looks and feels kinda of sluggish

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk