purple in photos

Brian Dawson

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Alright so I heard a lot about the m7 having a purple tint to the photos taken. I didn't own one so I have no idea what that looked like. I did however notice yesterday taking some pictures at the beach with my m8 that the clouds in a number of shots looked purple. Is anyone else experiencing this? Hardware problem? Should I exchange it? I'll try to post some pics when I figure out how from my phone...

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Can you post an example? Use the Android Central Forum App.. It makes it easier! :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Happened to me once, at the edges of a cloud when I was shooting into the sun, but it was so minor and happened only once so I didn't think much of it. Typically, i get rich blues but no purple;
IMAG0113_zps4a930cc9.jpg

IMAG0070_1_zps450d3317.jpg

IMAG0112_zpsbf2aca17.jpg

If it's showing up frequently then I think you might might need to exchange it. If it's just those photos you posted, then it could be an anomaly.

Brian Dawson

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah photos of bright sunny days seem ok. I really noticed it yesterday when it was overcast and was taking those pictures I posted.

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
This is definitely not the purple issue the M7 had. I actually had one of those bad cameras and sent the phone in for warranty repairs. The purple in the M7 failure was a lot more pronounced and happened mostly at low light and was slightly there in moderate light around both sides of the picture. I think your pics are fine in comparison. Also, if there are any smudges/fingerprints on the lens you will get some weird discoloration/fog. The only one I would question is the one with the TV but that may just be light bleeding from the bright screen. Take some low light pics and post if you can.

josh6113

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
6azypeze.jpg

Here is a pic I took in my kitchen that was well lit and as you can see the red burner came out purple...although it looks cool I'm wondering why it did this on my M8.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Here is a pic I took in my kitchen that was well lit and as you can see the red burner came out purple...although it looks cool I'm wondering why it did this on my M8.
Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

It's not just the M8, it's the fact that modern stoves use infrared elements and it affects a lot of digital cameras.

little09

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Um can you experinment low light conditions, no flash in dark area.. to see if you find something really odd. For M8 specific, then comparison from M7 thanks.

Oh one more thing, anyone who have complains about this M8 camera or any detect bug or defected? Im sure you already know M7 has some issues with camera module.

Thank in advance.

Posted via HTC M7

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Its a phenomenon called - wait for it - purple fringing and it impacts almost all digital imaging to some degree. However some cameras are more prone to experience the problem than others, and some manufacturers do a better job removing it during image processing. A few years ago, Panasonic "fixed" the problem during image processing by digitally detecting the phenomenon and making the purple area dark red. Which, a bit surprisingly, made it far less visible. The iPhone 5 had a fairly obvious problem with purple fringing, to the point where it was pretty easy to recognize a photo taken with one.

Unfortunately the HTC One M8 has a bad case of purple fringing and you are seeing it in your shots. It is most obvious when a dark part of the image is immediately adjacent to a very light part of the image, like shooting bare tree branches with a grey sky behind them.

It's probably the single worst attribute of the HTC One camera. Sketchy metering being a close second in terms of annoyance.

You can read about it here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_fringing