SIM question

dmoss7

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Long time lurker here. I am going to be leaving the BIONIC platform soon and have narrowed my replacement down to the HTC One (M8). I am still grandfathered in to unlimited data on Verizon, so I plan on paying full retail and doing a SIM card swap. Has anyone had any luck/experience with trimming down the SIM in the Bionic to the NanoSIM size that the HTC requires? Or has anyone gone to Verizon and gotten a new SIM card without them messing with your plan? I know MicroSIMs can be trimmed down, but I've googled the subject a bunch and still have yet to come away with a clear answer. I would prefer to get a new SIM that would be guaranteed to work w/o messing with my unlimited data, but am willing to trim down my current SIM if that's the only option.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
A nano Sim card is pre-installed of the M8. I think cutting down a Sim card is tricky, doable but tricky.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

dmoss7

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I am aware that the phone comes with a nanoSIM pre-installed, but I have heard stories of people trying to activate with a new SIM and losing their unlimited data. I would like to have as little interaction with Verizon as I can. If the HTC took the same size SIM as my Bionic, I could just swap SIM cards and the HTC would "activate itself" once I turned it on. But since they take different size cards, I either have to cut my current one down (if that's possible), or run the risk of dealing with a Verizon rep who doesn't know what they're doing and screws me out of my unlimited data. It basically comes down to, will Verizon give me / activate a new SIM card without screwing with my current plan?

A nano Sim card is pre-installed of the M8. I think cutting down a Sim card is tricky, doable but tricky.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!

You can get a SIM from Verizon and they won't mess with your plan or at least shouldn't.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I would buy it outright, and activate it yourself. It shouldn't change your plan.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The online "Activate a new SIM" always starts a new contract by forcing you to pick from only current plans in the process. Talking to a rep and "swapping a SIM" will not effect your plan. Don't even tell them it is a new phone just say you had to replace a broken SIM.

dmoss7

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
The only question I have with this is, since the phone they have on file for me is the Bionic, wouldn't they want to replace my "broken SIM" with the same size one that the Bionic currently takes instead of the nanoSIM? I may just bite the bullet and run up to the Verizon store tonight and ask one of the reps (without giving them any of my account info).

The online "Activate a new SIM" always starts a new contract by forcing you to pick from only current plans in the process. Talking to a rep and "swapping a SIM" will not effect your plan. Don't even tell them it is a new phone just say you had to replace a broken SIM.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The only question I have with this is, since the phone they have on file for me is the Bionic, wouldn't they want to replace my "broken SIM" with the same size one that the Bionic currently takes instead of the nanoSIM? I may just bite the bullet and run up to the Verizon store tonight and ask one of the reps (without giving them any of my account info).

If your that paranoid just forget it and deal with your current phone because their not there to screw you out of your current plan. If you want to keep your current plan just tell them.

The only hang up is if it is a new device they will assume you got it at a discount and not that you bought it out right. If it get down to them wanting to know what device it is say you got it used because they will need the IMEI from your device to get you data anyway. As long as the IMEI is clean which it will be bc it is new your fine.

The only reason EVER for them to change your plan is if you get a new subsidized phone.

budlight-budlight

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
If your that paranoid just forget it and deal with your current phone because their not there to screw you out of your current plan. If you want to keep your current plan just tell them.

The only hang up is if it is a new device they will assume you got it at a discount and not that you bought it out right. If it get down to them wanting to know what device it is say you got it used because they will need the IMEI from your device to get you data anyway. As long as the IMEI is clean which it will be bc it is new your fine.

The only reason EVER for them to change your plan is if you get a new subsidized phone.

I wouldn't be so sure about that..somebody highjacked my number so my thunderbolt quit working..talked to Verizon got it fixed but it went down as an upgrade lost my unlimited..hellooo I didn't upgrade phone was 2 years old and somebody stole my number...fought with them for 2 months no go denied it even after threatening to leave....screwem I left and got a new m8 on att enough of verizons crap..plus I get an employee discount on att so it was win win

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't be so sure about that..somebody highjacked my number so my thunderbolt quit working..talked to Verizon got it fixed but it went down as an upgrade lost my unlimited..hellooo I didn't upgrade phone was 2 years old and somebody stole my number...fought with them for 2 months no go denied it even after threatening to leave....screwem I left and got a new m8 on att enough of verizons crap..plus I get an employee discount on att so it was win win

Not saying your a liar but it is completely unprovable and if it was true you had grounds for a lawsuit that could of awarded you cash(meaning free lawyer paid on contingency) another reason its hard to believe. I have had no problems helping 3 of my friends swap SIMs and phones on unlimited plans.

budlight-budlight

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Not saying your a liar but it is completely unprovable and if it was true you had grounds for a lawsuit that could of awarded you cash(meaning free lawyer paid on contingency) another reason its hard to believe. I have had no problems helping 3 of my friends swap SIMs and phones on unlimited plans.
I didn't get it either there was a fraud claim and everything and get this they had to wait till the person that stole my number and activated there phone was not using it before they could shut them down and switch me back .. I use 2 gigs maybe less so that couldn't be it....they really pissed my off everytime I requested them to fix THIER screw up it was denied..hell with them...another funny thing it happened like 2 days after my contract expired hmmmm that's interesting...but anyhow one way or another they will get u off unlimited in my opinion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devboilol