Verizon HTC One M8 (or all?) - Wifi Dropping and immediately reconnecting randomly while screen on

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I feel like I am going absolutely crazy with this issue. I in a way cant believe I haven't heard anything else about it, at least for this device. There was already a thread going for wifi issues and I was posting in there but it was a different issue than what I am experiencing.

Hear me out:

Wifi on my device will not hold. It will randomly disconnect and a second later reconnect to my network. but, it's not just my network. It has done this to me on THREE different networks (out of three total that I have connected it to since I got it) with seemingly no change.

I will be working along on my phone, maybe browsing internet or you know, RDPed and VPNed into a work computer/network for an emergency call, and my wifi will disconnect, which in turn disconnects me from everything that I am doing, and then just as quickly will reconnect me back with wifi, leaving me to re-access everything I had open. I have never had a phone do this to be before. My last pho0ne was an iPhone and it held wifi like a champ.

I am curious whether or not others are experiencing this issue, and maybe just don't realize it. Tell tale signs are obviously the wifi icon disappearing, or maybe your phone states that you "lost connection to the network" or "no internet connection" or something along those lines. The most obvious one without having to be actively engaged with your phone would be the "connected to (wifinamehere)" notification in the status bar dropdown returning after you swipied it away, but you never left the range of your router. It would be a great help if some forum members kept their eyes out for things like this for me, I would really like to know if there is a bug out there that some may have but aren't realizing it.

Troubleshooting:
I have messed with all wireless settings on this phone. I have given my phone a static IP. I have downloaded wifi fixer apps, I have changed the channel of my wireless broadcast multiple times. tried on different wireless networks. My last unsuccessful step was returning the phone to HTC and receiving a new one thinking maybe just my phone was defective. That was a no go either.
I have reset the phone to factory and run it with only stock apps, nothing seems to work.

Has ANYONE with this phone experienced a similar problem? If this has happened on two devices and multiple networks for me then I cannot possibly be the only one with an M8 having this issue.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I feel like I am going absolutely crazy with this issue. I in a way cant believe I haven't heard anything else about it, at least for this device. There was already a thread going for wifi issues and I was posting in there but it was a different issue than what I am experiencing.

Hear me out:

Wifi on my device will not hold. It will randomly disconnect and a second later reconnect to my network. but, it's not just my network. It has done this to me on THREE different networks (out of three total that I have connected it to since I got it) with seemingly no change.

I will be working along on my phone, maybe browsing internet or you know, RDPed and VPNed into a work computer/network for an emergency call, and my wifi will disconnect, which in turn disconnects me from everything that I am doing, and then just as quickly will reconnect me back with wifi, leaving me to re-access everything I had open. I have never had a phone do this to be before. My last pho0ne was an iPhone and it held wifi like a champ.

I am curious whether or not others are experiencing this issue, and maybe just don't realize it. Tell tale signs are obviously the wifi icon disappearing, or maybe your phone states that you "lost connection to the network" or "no internet connection" or something along those lines. The most obvious one without having to be actively engaged with your phone would be the "connected to (wifinamehere)" notification in the status bar dropdown returning after you swipied it away, but you never left the range of your router. It would be a great help if some forum members kept their eyes out for things like this for me, I would really like to know if there is a bug out there that some may have but aren't realizing it.

Troubleshooting:
I have messed with all wireless settings on this phone. I have given my phone a static IP. I have downloaded wifi fixer apps, I have changed the channel of my wireless broadcast multiple times. tried on different wireless networks. My last unsuccessful step was returning the phone to HTC and receiving a new one thinking maybe just my phone was defective. That was a no go either.
I have reset the phone to factory and run it with only stock apps, nothing seems to work.

Has ANYONE with this phone experienced a similar problem? If this has happened on two devices and multiple networks for me then I cannot possibly be the only one with an M8 having this issue.

Have not had that issue. And I definitely would notice it if I did.
Do you have WiFi optimization on?
Auto-switch to mobile network on?

Maybe one of the advanced settings are being screwy and causing it to disconnect.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

MrRicks84

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

Hear me out:

Troubleshooting:

I haven't had this issue with the M8 but my Droid DNA used to do this ALL THE TIME!!!

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had this issue with the M8 but my Droid DNA used to do this ALL THE TIME!!!

Yes, see you are among one of the many that I have read about having this issue occur with a different phone, but no one else with an M8 seems to be having this issue with their phone. Were you able to fix it with your DNA?

Have not had that issue. And I definitely would notice it if I did.
Do you have WiFi optimization on?
Auto-switch to mobile network on?

Maybe one of the advanced settings are being screwy and causing it to disconnect.

All of these settings have been tested both on and off, with different combinations of them on or off at the same time. No luck.

MrRicks84

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes, see you are among one of the many that I have read about having this issue occur with a different phone, but no one else with an M8 seems to be having this issue with their phone. Were you able to fix it with your DNA?

No I was unsuccessful in solving the issue. Since I retired the DNA, it received a Kit Kat update. Maybe that fixed it.

Are you positive your router isn't the culprit?

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
No I was unsuccessful in solving the issue. Since I retired the DNA, it received a Kit Kat update. Maybe that fixed it.

Are you positive your router isn't the culprit?

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
Considering it occurs with both my home wireless and my work wireless, and also happened once or twice on a friends wireless I don't think it is, but who knows, at work it may have been because of AP switching and my friends place COULD have been weak signal so I wont rule it out as a possibility. I have never had issues with any other wireless devices in my house though, this would be the first. And I have had many wireless devices in here.

How often does it happen?

My router logs recorded two reconnects (while I was using the phone) within the last hour at 01:21 and 01:39. 18 minutes between the disconnects seems about right, and close to average when im using the wifi actively. It was almost once every 5 minutes when RDPing.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Logs from the router. I get no disconnect logs, only ip assignments (same IP address as it had before the disconnect so it is sticking to the lease)

INFO] Tue May 20 01:39:00 2014(SSID removed): Wireless system with MAC address (REMOVED) secured and linked
[INFO] Tue May 20 01:39:00 2014 (SSID removed): Wireless system with MAC address (REMOVED) associated

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Considering it occurs with both my home wireless and my work wireless, and also happened once or twice on a friends wireless I don't think it is, but who knows, at work it may have been because of AP switching and my friends place COULD have been weak signal so I wont rule it out as a possibility. I have never had issues with any other wireless devices in my house though, this would be the first. And I have had many wireless devices in here.

My router logs recorded two reconnects (while I was using the phone) within the last hour at 01:21 and 01:39. 18 minutes between the disconnects seems about right, and close to average when im using the wifi actively. It was almost once every 5 minutes when RDPing.

Have you reset your router? You sound more advanced at this stuff than I am, but I'm just shooting out some things that you may have overlooked. Since I don't have this issue nor have I seen it yet and its the second phone doing it, I'd try to factor out as much as possible on your end first.
Have you tried only using 2.5 or 5 GHz instead of auto?

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you reset your router? You sound more advanced at this stuff than I am, but I'm just shooting out some things that you may have overlooked. Since I don't have this issue nor have I seen it yet and its the second phone doing it, I'd try to factor out as much as possible on your end first.
Have you tried only using 2.5 or 5 GHz instead of auto?

I still appreciate any suggestions you can dish out. Yes I have reset my router. My router is only capable of 2.4ghz (DLink DIR-655, its a little older) I have set the phone to only 2.4ghz and only 5ghz at work, no dice with either. I will try another router reset though now that you mention it as it has been almost 2 weeks since I did that.

EDIT: No Dice with reboot.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I still appreciate any suggestions you can dish out. Yes I have reset my router. My router is only capable of 2.4ghz (DLink DIR-655, its a little older) I have set the phone to only 2.4ghz and only 5ghz at work, no dice with either. I will try another router reset though now that you mention it as it has been almost 2 weeks since I did that.

EDIT: No Dice with reboot.

Have you change the security type you are using?

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you change the security type you are using?

That is one thing I have not done yet. I have 7 wireless devices that connect to my network with a very long passphrase and is a pita to reconnect all of them. I think I may bite the bullet and just try that at this point. I use WPA2 right now and would really prefer not switching it though. That would make me very sad.

My next step is to try WPS through pin entry. see if that holds. I read a few minutes ago that is solved some peoples issues with a GS3 with wifi issues. Maybe I'll chance upon a pot of gold with it.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
That is one thing I have not done yet. I have 7 wireless devices that connect to my network with a very long passphrase and is a pita to reconnect all of them. I think I may bite the bullet and just try that at this point. I use WPA2 right now and would really prefer not switching it though. That would make me very sad.

My next step is to try WPS through pin entry. see if that holds. I read a few minutes ago that is solved some peoples issues with a GS3 with wifi issues. Maybe I'll chance upon a pot of gold with it.

I may have been reading the same thing...that's where I got that from! I'm reading around too!

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Nice :) That's all done, just gotta wait and see if I get booted at this point.

Gonna hit the hay for the night, I'll follow up tomorrow.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't seem like setting mine up with WPS worked either. I guess my next course of action would be to try a different router. I have an older wireless g access point , maybe I'll hook that back up and see if it sticks

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't seem like setting mine up with WPS worked either. I guess my next course of action would be to try a different router. I have an older wireless g access point , maybe I'll hook that back up and see if it sticks

Hope that's works. I'm running out of things to suggest!

Posted via Android Central App

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I know it's a PITA, but maybe try restoring to factory settings? That's been said to fix some problems that people here have been experiencing.

Sorry I can't offer any more help

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I know it's a PITA, but maybe try restoring to factory settings? That's been said to fix some problems that people here have been experiencing.

Sorry I can't offer any more help

I appreciate the suggestion. I did this twice with the old phone and no luck. The new one I have not done this mainly because it started almost immediately after setting it up and I am frankly getting sick of reconfiguring all of my apps. Rooting and installing titanium backup is really beginning to look like a favorable idea though.

Still haven't tried the different router. Been busy today but it's on the list of things to do. I do kind of wonder if the wps setup helped at all though. Seems like the disconnects have become less frequent.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
okay, so I've been connected to my old Linksys wireless-g router for about 15 minutes now, and putting my phone through task that it would normally disconnect me every 5 minutes or so, and I haven't dropped once yet. I am beginning to think that the router might be the culprit, although that really doesn't explain my work environment. Whatever, I can get to that later. So, my question is what types of routers are you guys using at home? I have been using it D Link, but it's rather old. Maybe it's time to upgrade. I would appreciate any suggestions.

I'd really rather not upgrade the router at this point, so I guess I'll try either configuration settings. But still, it would be nice to know what you guys are using at home. I don't like going out and buying a router all willy nilly, too many out there with issues.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I appreciate the suggestion. I did this twice with the old phone and no luck. The new one I have not done this mainly because it started almost immediately after setting it up and I am frankly getting sick of reconfiguring all of my apps. Rooting and installing titanium backup is really beginning to look like a favorable idea though.

Still haven't tried the different router. Been busy today but it's on the list of things to do. I do kind of wonder if the wps setup helped at all though. Seems like the disconnects have become less frequent.

Hmm, just had a random thought. Could it be possible that your router can only have a certain number of connections at once? I know some routers limit the active number of wireless connections, so if you have 7 phones on there it may be part of the problem (if there's 5-6 total devices on the wifi).

Just another idea, I know modern routers tend to have either no limit or a higher limit. My old router has a limit of 4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa