My HTC One M8 tried to kill me today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bendigeidfran

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I'd like to know who the genius was that decided disabling turn-by-turn navigation BY DEFAULT was a good idea. Seriously, I want to know. I'd like to meet him and talk about the weather.

Because of this issue, My HTC One M8 nearly got me killed today. I expected Google turn-by-turn navigation to operate as effectively as I've seen on other devices in the past. Instead, I kept receiving the message:

Location Mode is not supported. Turn-by Turn navigation is only available in these location modes:
• High accuracy
• Device Only

I had no idea what any of that meant, and was already on the road and in dire need of directions to an unfamiliar location. Actually, I had three addresses to visit without the slightest idea where they were. The best I could manage was a map that displayed my destination with a red dot and my location with a blue dot, but no turn-by-turn directions. Worse, my location would update only every few minutes; I missed countless turns because the map function would not update my location in real time. Yes, I made the stupid mistake of hopping into the car thinking Google would work as well on my HTC as it did on my wife's iPhone.

I somehow pissed Google off, because at one point it shrunk my map down to 1" by 2" and it would NOT be resized. The rest of the screen was filled with useless information: the address I wanted to find, how long it would take me without traffic (how about without DIRECTIONS!?!?), and the distance involved. Again, the map could not be made larger, the extraneous data could not be removed from the screen. Several times I had to start a new search to get a map I could resize, let alone see clearly. I realize now the hyper-sensitive screen was picking up some random movement and to navigating away from the map I needed to the "pre-map" screen (the one with all the worthless information on it). Too bad there's no "forward" button.

And this is the DEFAULT behavior of this particular device. Turn-by-turn navigation is disabled by default through a menu setting no one will find in the heat of the moment, no one will find when they need it most. I had to return to work and access an actual computer to learn what "Location Mode is not supported...." meant and how to enable turn-by-turn navigation.

Settings ► Location ► Mode ► High accuracy

Now I understand why so many people prefer iPhones and iOS. Android is a uphill battle through a Byzantine maze. Thank you, Verizon, HTC, and Google. [inappropriate language removed by moderators]

Last edited by a moderator:

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Testing your device and apps out is sadly a required action for Android. As Android is a setup intensive OS that is also the main reason it is choose over iOS by the growing majority. Those that enjoy having an assistant that does some of the thinking for them will still have their iPhone but there is a large growing percentage enjoying the learning curve and the rewards that Android brings.

revG#AC

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to know who the genius was that decided disabling turn-by-turn navigation BY DEFAULT was a good idea. Seriously, I want to know. I'd like to meet him and talk about the weather.

Because of this issue, My HTC One M8 nearly got me killed today. I expected Google turn-by-turn navigation to operate as effectively as I've seen on other devices in the past. Instead, I kept receiving the message:

Location Mode is not supported. Turn-by Turn navigation is only available in these location modes:
• High accuracy
• Device Only

I had no idea what any of that meant, and was already on the road and in dire need of directions to an unfamiliar location. Actually, I had three addresses to visit without the slightest idea where they were. The best I could manage was a map that displayed my destination with a red dot and my location with a blue dot, but no turn-by-turn directions. Worse, my location would update only every few minutes; I missed countless turns because the map function would not update my location in real time. Yes, I made the stupid mistake of hopping into the car thinking Google would work as well on my HTC as it did on my wife's iPhone.

I somehow pissed Google off, because at one point it shrunk my map down to 1" by 2" and it would NOT be resized. The rest of the screen was filled with useless information: the address I wanted to find, how long it would take me without traffic (how about without DIRECTIONS!?!?), and the distance involved. Again, the map could not be made larger, the extraneous data could not be removed from the screen. Several times I had to start a new search to get a map I could resize, let alone see clearly. I realize now the hyper-sensitive screen was picking up some random movement and to navigating away from the map I needed to the "pre-map" screen (the one with all the worthless information on it). Too bad there's no "forward" button.

And this is the DEFAULT behavior of this particular device. Turn-by-turn navigation is disabled by default through a menu setting no one will find in the heat of the moment, no one will find when they need it most. I had to return to work and access an actual computer to learn what "Location Mode is not supported...." meant and how to enable turn-by-turn navigation.

Settings ► Location ► Mode ► High accuracy

Now I understand why so many people prefer iPhones and iOS. Android is a uphill battle through a Byzantine maze. Thank you, Verizon, HTC, and Google. [inappropriate language removed by moderators]

So, I take it you're new to android then? Most device defaults are intended to balance performance and battery life, so that's why high accuracy isn't the default.
And, if I'm not mistaken, when you open maps you're prompted to review your location settings if they're not optimal for navigation.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

CrazyCamel369#AC

May 24, 2011
Visit site

lol @ everything you've said so far. Yes, it's Verizon's and Androids fault you don't learn your phone before you hit the road.

bholt6

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken the prompt gives you the option to change the settings and takes you directly to where you need to be. I think the setting is changed in a total of 3 screen taps.

Snapperjacker

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken the prompt gives you the option to change the settings and takes you directly to where you need to be. I think the setting is changed in a total of 3 screen taps.

You're correct; there's a prompt that actually says turn by turn is disabled unless you activate it with the high accuracy mode. It's hilarious how the OP blames everything under the sun except for himself lol.

Bendigeidfran

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

If you know what the setting is and where it is. A better design would have simply asked the user if he wanted it activated. Yes or No. Done. Better than a game of Guess the Winning Combination!

You guys must also be big fans of the constant advertising streamed to the device.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If you know what the setting is and where it is. A better design would have simply asked the user if he wanted it activated. Yes or No. Done. Better than a game of Guess the Winning Combination!

You guys must also be big fans of the constant advertising streamed to the device.

Not knowing how doesn't automatically make something complicated just means you need to learn how but I am guessing learning to do things is not your cup of tea.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I agree that Google Maps should ask you to enable this setting. Apart from that, what are you talking about advertisements being streamed to our devices??

makie

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I wonder how you made it out of college xD

Blame college for a low grade even tho you didn't do your home work.

I bett he also went to his attorney to see the possibilities to sue Google.

Long live America xD

G3

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
when I swipe down with 2 fingers on the notification panel and select GPS it automatically changes it to High accuracy - I find this a lot easier and quicker to activate it and deactivate it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa