How can I set the HTC One M8 to "charge only" when plugged into USB?

thugdrummer1

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Anyone know how to set the phone to Charge Only when connected to a pc with a USB cable?

Just got my M8 from Verizon yesterday. On any other android devices I've owned, when you connect the device to my Mac with a USB cable, you get the option to change the connection type: Charge only, disk drive, usb tethering (or HTC sync, for HTC devices).

On the M8, When I connect it to my Mac, I get a notification saying "Media device [MTP] connected", and another notice saying "USB connected - Tap to change settings". The MTP notice doesn't do anything when tapped. Tapping the USB connected notice, takes me to the Mobile Hotspot & tethering settings page. I've got "Mobile Hotspot" and "Bluetooth tethering" both turned off. "USB network setting" is set to "None". There doesn't appear to be an option to specify charge only.

On the Mac, it mounts a filesystem containing only the HTC Sync Manager (which won't run, because it was compiled for old PowerPC Macs).

Any help would be appreciated.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Anyone know how to set the phone to Charge Only when connected to a pc with a USB cable?

Just got my M8 from Verizon yesterday. On any other android devices I've owned, when you connect the device to my Mac with a USB cable, you get the option to change the connection type: Charge only, disk drive, usb tethering (or HTC sync, for HTC devices).

On the M8, When I connect it to my Mac, I get a notification saying "Media device [MTP] connected", and another notice saying "USB connected - Tap to change settings". The MTP notice doesn't do anything when tapped. Tapping the USB connected notice, takes me to the Mobile Hotspot & tethering settings page. I've got "Mobile Hotspot" and "Bluetooth tethering" both turned off. "USB network setting" is set to "None". There doesn't appear to be an option to specify charge only.

On the Mac, it mounts a filesystem containing only the HTC Sync Manager (which won't run, because it was compiled for old PowerPC Macs).

Any help would be appreciated.

I just got my M8 from AT&T yesterday. I've just been ignoring the notifications honestly. Didn't seem to me as if they did anything as long as none of the hotspot or bluetooth settings were checked. Holy cow though, I tried to use that Sync Manager software, and it's a total POS!! Transferring files from my MacBook Pro has been the hardest part of moving to Android.

thugdrummer1

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Actually, with my other devices, I use the standard Android File Transfer app, and drag 'n drop. Not quite as full featured as the Finder window, but definitely better than HTC's garbage app. But I don't want to have to worry about accidentally corrupting my sdcard from improper unmounting from the Mac, or some other snafu. I want it to default to charge only like my other devices. I want the phone to by default hide the sdcard until I tell it I want the computer to see it.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Gotcha. I didn't think about that. I've been using Airdroid to transfer stuff. I like it because you don't even technically have to be connected to the computer. It transfers everything over Wifi. I haven't transferred any of my music over yet though. Just one podcast to test the M8's sound quality.

thugdrummer1

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Even more annoying: I just disconnected and reconnected the usb cable and it automatically opens a new finder window displaying the useless version of HTC Sync Manager. This will happen every time I plug in my phone. What a PITA.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Even more annoying: I just disconnected and reconnected the usb cable and it automatically opens a new finder window displaying the useless version of HTC Sync Manager. This will happen every time I plug in my phone. What a PITA.
I agree, it is a PITA. I've been trying to find a way around it with no luck. Don't they have cables that only charge? Like cheap ones that don't do data transfer? I know I used to have non-Apple branded iPhone cables like that

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
You should be able to just change to PTP on your phone. From the notification shade, where it says Connected as MTP, tap that and you will have the option to use PTP. Afaik, that is effectively just charging your phone. Since you need MTP option for the Android File Transfer to work.

Potentior

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
You can disable HTC Sync Manager in the "All Apps" section of the settings. It shouldn't pop up again when you connect to a computer via USB.