AT&T HTC One M8 4.4.4 MMS/Group Messaging Issues

CrazyCamel369#AC

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey ya'll!

So, just checking to see if anyone else is having this same issue. I upgraded to 4.4.4 when they finally released it and since then I've had issues receiving pictures and also receiving messages through group messages. So, I did what I would normally do, I factory reset the device from settings, that didn't work. Then I did a factory reset through the bootloader and same issue persisted. People would tell me I'm not responding to their messages, well that's because I wasn't getting them. Changed out my SIM as my last ditch effort and same thing. Even had the people delete the group chat thread on their devices and same thing. Anyone else experiencing this? Thanks in advance!

hrt51

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Same exact thing happening to me. After the new 4.4.4 AT&T update to my HTC ome M8, all text messaging, especially MMS group messages either don't download automatically half the time , or send out noticeably slower than before the update...

ewklee

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Hey ya'll!

So, just checking to see if anyone else is having this same issue. I upgraded to 4.4.4 when they finally released it and since then I've had issues receiving pictures and also receiving messages through group messages. So, I did what I would normally do, I factory reset the device from settings, that didn't work. Then I did a factory reset through the bootloader and same issue persisted. People would tell me I'm not responding to their messages, well that's because I wasn't getting them. Changed out my SIM as my last ditch effort and same thing. Even had the people delete the group chat thread on their devices and same thing. Anyone else experiencing this? Thanks in advance!

This is exactly the same thing tha'ts happened to me. Have you found a solution?
ugh, I'm so frustrated. Is there any way to undo the software update?

Last edited:

CrazyCamel369#AC

May 24, 2011
Visit site
This is exactly the same thing tha'ts happened to me. Have you found a solution?
ugh, I'm so frustrated. Is there any way to undo the software update?

I got me a warranty replacement and then upgraded the firmware on that one and it seems fine as of now. I'll keep y'all up to date if if returns or not.

donovanjoel

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I am having this exact problem currently. The worst part is that I sometimes get the group messages, and sometimes I don't. It was not a problem before the upgrade, how could they make such a grievous error? Messages are being sent hours later (or I'm receiving them hours after they're sent).

This is unbelievably frustrating to me. I called HTC and they had me reboot in safe mode and evaluate for 24 hours.

CrazyCamel369#AC

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I also had to get a warranty replacement! I'm extremely nervous about updating the software to 4.4.4. again. Glad to hear that your phone's had no issues! Thanks for being the guinea pig! :)

Haha oh I love being a crash dummy. I'm still good with my messaging. If you upgrade, let me know how it goes for you!

ewklee

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
UPDATE:

I got too confident in the new phone and downloaded the 4.4.4. software update on Saturday. The same problem again!!! I went into the AT&T store (not the device support center), and he told me to uninstall the third-party messaging app "Textra" app that I had been using for messaging because he thinks that might be the issue. (Personally I don't think so.)

CrazyCamel...were you using the stock messaging app or a third-party app for messaging?

I've had several people text me as test and only a few go through while others do not. It's been completely random. All people have iphones and so I wonder if it's an iPhone-to-Android thing?

UGH. Either way. I am SUPER frustrated. I am going to use the stock messaging app for a week and see if the issue resolves, (doubt it). If not, I will be making another trip to the AT&T device support center to complain about my issue and I guess get another phone?

Will keep you updated!

CrazyCamel369#AC

May 24, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE:

I got too confident in the new phone and downloaded the 4.4.4. software update on Saturday. The same problem again!!! I went into the AT&T store (not the device support center), and he told me to uninstall the third-party messaging app "Textra" app that I had been using for messaging because he thinks that might be the issue. (Personally I don't think so.)

CrazyCamel...were you using the stock messaging app or a third-party app for messaging?

I've had several people text me as test and only a few go through while others do not. It's been completely random. All people have iphones and so I wonder if it's an iPhone-to-Android thing?

UGH. Either way. I am SUPER frustrated. I am going to use the stock messaging app for a week and see if the issue resolves, (doubt it). If not, I will be making another trip to the AT&T device support center to complain about my issue and I guess get another phone?

Will keep you updated!

I actually work for a device support center =D

I typically stay pretty much stock when it comes to messaging but I as of right now, I am switching between the stock app and Google Messenger and I haven't seen any issues yet. Maybe we'll get lucky and receive Lollipop soon to fix this issue in the long run. But then again, AT&T drags when it comes to finalizing and releasing any firmware push.

Also, did you do a factory reset after you upgraded to 4.4.4 again? I did once mine upgraded so maybe that will help?

ewklee

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
I didn't do a factory reset. That's definitely something I should have tried to do before personalizing the phone and downloading all my apps... It kindof brings me pain to think I have to do it all over again LOL. I'm going to wait a couple days to see if it resolves itself. But if it comes down to it, I will do a factory reset. Small price to pay to have a fully functional phone again.

EDIT: I just did a factory reset. I'm too eager to fix this problem. But after I did the reset, I had a thought. Is it possible that it's my SIM card causing the issue??

Last edited:

rzamike

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Having same issue AFTER I upgraded to 4.4.4... Currently, Changing between 3rd party text messaging apps to see if the problem persists. I hate driving down to the nearest ATT store (unbelievable traffic in soCal), so I'd like to fix it myself if possible!

CrazyCamel369#AC

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I didn't do a factory reset. That's definitely something I should have tried to do before personalizing the phone and downloading all my apps... It kindof brings me pain to think I have to do it all over again LOL. I'm going to wait a couple days to see if it resolves itself. But if it comes down to it, I will do a factory reset. Small price to pay to have a fully functional phone again.

EDIT: I just did a factory reset. I'm too eager to fix this problem. But after I did the reset, I had a thought. Is it possible that it's my SIM card causing the issue??

I would say get a new SIM card, wouldn't hurt and you're not losing anything (unless your contacts are saved on there, which is a bad place to save your contacts in the first place lol). I hope the reset and potentially new SIM card works for you!

dt808

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Hot damn.. had a feeling the update was the issue. :(

My textra group texting/mms stopped working. I've tried chomp, hello, google messenger, etc. Any luck guys?

Appreciate the help!

CrazyCamel369#AC

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Hot damn.. had a feeling the update was the issue. :(

My textra group texting/mms stopped working. I've tried chomp, hello, google messenger, etc. Any luck guys?

Appreciate the help!

Mine's been fine after I had a warranty replacement and got a new SIM card. I'd say start small with your steps, try a new SIM, try a factory reset and if all else fails get a replacement through warranty.

dt808

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Mine's been fine after I had a warranty replacement and got a new SIM card. I'd say start small with your steps, try a new SIM, try a factory reset and if all else fails get a replacement through warranty.

Sounds good, thanks man! I'll try getting a new sim card today.. and see if that helps. If not, warranty replacement it is!

Appreciate it.

anon(9320636)

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Hello, friends
My friends also want me use stock messages to receive their notifications.
But I also wonder if same issue will impact our communications(group message) if I do a upgrading to 4.4.4 or 5.0....
Currently, my phone has the following setting for MMS Setting in stock messages
(1) auto-retrieve = checked
(2) roaming auto-retrieve = unchecked
(3) max message size = 300k
(4) group messaging = checked
* My friends also tell me that I should set 'send as individual messages = UNCHECKED' if I need to send group message.

Do you always in wifi environment or 3g/4g environment? I also confuse if the situation is related to the network?
Because I changed my phone from iPhone 4 to htc M8 for 2 days, and I'm not sure if htc stock messages likes 'iMessage' in Apple iPhone which will auto detect if someone in wifi or 3g/4g environment and send free/paid text message.
Please give me some feedback, I just want to make sure my settings is correct and can receive group messages.

CrazyCamel369#AC

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Hello, friends
My friends also want me use stock messages to receive their notifications.
But I also wonder if same issue will impact our communications(group message) if I do a upgrading to 4.4.4 or 5.0....
Currently, my phone has the following setting for MMS Setting in stock messages
(1) auto-retrieve = checked
(2) roaming auto-retrieve = unchecked
(3) max message size = 300k
(4) group messaging = checked
* My friends also tell me that I should set 'send as individual messages = UNCHECKED' if I need to send group message.

Do you always in wifi environment or 3g/4g environment? I also confuse if the situation is related to the network?
Because I changed my phone from iPhone 4 to htc M8 for 2 days, and I'm not sure if htc stock messages likes 'iMessage' in Apple iPhone which will auto detect if someone in wifi or 3g/4g environment and send free/paid text message.
Please give me some feedback, I just want to make sure my settings is correct and can receive group messages.

Which carrier are you with? I usually keep my Maximum message size at 1000K or whatever is the highest for your carrier (Verizon is at like 1500K). Everything else you said is fine as far as settings wise

For group messages or MMS in general, it always goes off mobile data. WiFi won't make a difference for you to send a message. Also, since you switched from iPhone to Android, I'd suggest doing this one little step to ensure you will get your messages from your friends https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage
^That is if you used iMessages when you had your iPhone. If not, then ignore.