Lollipop Recent Apps Lag?

Samfisherx1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone else have lag when navigating the new recent apps cards view? This only happens after medium use with the phone. Scrolling through say 10 recent apps and swiping them away will lag and continue lagging until I shut down and reboot the phone :'(. I cleared the cache and also waited for the phone to cool down first, but it never returns to scrolling smoothly. The rest of the phone works perfectly, it's only on the recent apps that I have seen lag. Rebooting the phone fixes this but I don't want to have to restart it every week. 1-2 days after restarting, the process will happen again, and the recent apps lag some more after playing a somewhat graphics intensive game.

I have used a Nexus 5 on Lollipop and the recent apps page is buttery smooth, no hiccups or slow down whatsoever. This is how it should be for my One M8. I heard Lollipop has issues with memory leak but I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem.

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Nope, I don't have that problem on my M8, but if you want you can switch back to the old grid view, open the recent apps page, go to the settings (3 vertical dots, top right corner) go to layout and choose grid view. I know it is not a solution for your problem, but it is something.

Sent from my HTC One M8

FreakSquadJK

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Yep, I've had this problem as well on my Verizon M8. It seems to last about 18 hours or so before starting to get laggy, and it only gets worse from there, even if I swipe away all apps, leave the phone to cool for a while, etc.

Since we got 5.0.1, I'm assuming this is due to the memory leak bug that was in that version - disappointing that with the delay past HTC's intended 90-day window, we couldn't get a version without that bug (5.0.2? Something HTC could weave in somehow, independent of Google? Not sure, but it does hurt the user experience).

Posted via the Android Central App

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Yep, I've had this problem as well on my Verizon M8. It seems to last about 18 hours or so before starting to get laggy, and it only gets worse from there, even if I swipe away all apps, leave the phone to cool for a while, etc.

Since we got 5.0.1, I'm assuming this is due to the memory leak bug that was in that version - disappointing that with the delay past HTC's intended 90-day window, we couldn't get a version without that bug (5.0.2? Something HTC could weave in somehow, independent of Google? Not sure, but it does hurt the user experience).

HTC already modify Lollipop to fit with Sense before pushing it to the user, but the problem is not from that, as carriers (like Verizon for example) takes the HTC modified version, and add more modifications to it, and that's what cause both update delay and bugs.

For me my M8 is not linked/branded to any carrier, I receive my system updates directly from HTC, and I have no issues with Lollipop.

Sent from my HTC One M8

AdamHunterATC

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Nope, I don't have that problem on my M8, but if you want you can switch back to the old grid view, open the recent apps page, go to the settings (3 vertical dots, top right corner) go to layout and choose grid view. I know it is not a solution for your problem, but it is something.

Sent from my HTC One M8

The problem with the new grid view is that it does something weird with the status bar in non-HTC apps. Try using the grid view, wait for the status bar to disappear, then tap on a non-HTC app like Chrome. You'll see what I mean.

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
The problem with the new grid view is that it does something weird with the status bar in non-HTC apps. Try using the grid view, wait for the status bar to disappear, then tap on a non-HTC app like Chrome. You'll see what I mean.
I have just tried that, and you are right, as it looks like it is pushing its way down rather that just drop down.

Sent from my HTC One M8

AdamHunterATC

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I have just tried that, and you are right, as it looks like it is pushing its way down rather that just drop down.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Yup. It's annoying enough to me that I just stick with the card view even though I prefer the grid. I'm assuming HTC has it fixed in Sense 7 since the grid is the default view again.

On one hand, it's great that HTC wants to update their phones as quickly as possible (90 days or less), but, on the other hand, it sucks when little glitches like this slip through because of it. Part of me would rather have stayed on KitKat and wait for a Lollipop/Sense 7 update bundled together.

Samfisherx1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Do you think a factory reset will help at all? I thought I was the only one with this issue but it seems like other people are also affected. Also, will a factory reset revert the android version back to Kit Kat? And does HTC Backup backup everything on the phone (game save files, photos, apps downloaded, account settings like email and google)?

AdamHunterATC

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Do you think a factory reset will help at all? I thought I was the only one with this issue but it seems like other people are also affected. Also, will a factory reset revert the android version back to Kit Kat? And does HTC Backup backup everything on the phone (game save files, photos, apps downloaded, account settings like email and google)?

They don't do that automatically, no. You'll need to back that stuff up on your own.

So you didn't factory reset before and/or after installing Lollipop? If not, and you've exhausted your other options (clearing cache, etc), then yes, a factory reset would likely help.

Samfisherx1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
They don't do that automatically, no. You'll need to back that stuff up on your own.

So you didn't factory reset before and/or after installing Lollipop? If not, and you've exhausted your other options (clearing cache, etc), then yes, a factory reset would likely help.

No, I don't do any cache clearing or factory resets before or after installing Lollipop maybe a month ago. Is it possible to backup everything completely, so that I can return the phone to the same EXACT state as it is before the factory reset? I don't want to lose anything but I would also like to fix the issue. Though it might just be fixed in the 5.1 update whenever that arrives.

AdamHunterATC

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
No, I don't do any cache clearing or factory resets before or after installing Lollipop maybe a month ago. Is it possible to backup everything completely, so that I can return the phone to the same EXACT state as it is before the factory reset? I don't want to lose anything but I would also like to fix the issue. Though it might just be fixed in the 5.1 update whenever that arrives.

I wouldn't expect HTC to get 5.1 out anytime soon... unless they really want to impress us and roll it out with the carrier updates to Sense 7.

mugenlude19

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Just cleared my cache 5min ago on bootloader screen. No more lag!

Eager to see if it helps battery life.
I worked at VZW for years and I can get more battery life out of a phone always.

The lag had to be killing the battery.

M8/360

Samfisherx1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Just cleared my cache 5min ago on bootloader screen. No more lag!

Eager to see if it helps battery life.
I worked at VZW for years and I can get more battery life out of a phone always.

The lag had to be killing the battery.

M8/360

Did you just "wipe cache partition"? I did that recently and it helped for a about a week but then my recent apps lag came back. Now it's continuing the cycle of lag->reboot->no lag->lag again. Haven't found a fix yet

AdamHunterATC

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
HTC just updated the HTC Service Pack in the Play Store today, and early reviews are reporting it fixes multitasking issues for them. I just installed it. Let us know if it fixes the issue for you.

Samfisherx1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
HTC just updated the HTC Service Pack in the Play Store today, and early reviews are reporting it fixes multitasking issues for them. I just installed it. Let us know if it fixes the issue for you.

Updated it about 4 hours ago, and performed a reboot afterwards. Hopefully this is the fix I've been waiting for. As of now, there is no lag in the recent apps, but it's only been a few hours. I'll let you guys know if it stays this way after 1-3 days which is usually how long it takes to start lagging again.

AdamHunterATC

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Updated it about 4 hours ago, and performed a reboot afterwards. Hopefully this is the fix I've been waiting for. As of now, there is no lag in the recent apps, but it's only been a few hours. I'll let you guys know if it stays this way after 1-3 days which is usually how long it takes to start lagging again.

I've experienced that lag myself as well. It's been smooth since the Service Pack update. I'll keep y'all posted as well.

AdamHunterATC

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm getting a little bit of jank, so far. Not nearly as bad as before. I can live with it now. I'll let us know if it gets worse.

Samfisherx1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm getting a little bit of jank, so far. Not nearly as bad as before. I can live with it now. I'll let us know if it gets worse.

I've also been noticing some lag, though I think the amount of lag has decreased. It hasn't reached that high amount of lag that it used to, even after playing some graphics-intense games, so I feel like the update definitely improved the recent apps speed. :)

AdamHunterATC

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I think I may have found the culprit: Google Play Music. I reset my phone awhile back, and things were running smoothly. Then I accidentally opened up the GPM app (which I rarely use) and a few minutes later, the lag showed up in the recent apps. I found that peculiar. And once you open up GPM, it constantly runs in the background. So I disabled GPM and rebooted the phone. That was about 3 days ago, and I haven't seen a hint of lag since then.

So my solution was to disable GPM. That's fine for me because I don't really use it anyway. But that sucks for the people who do use it. I may send a tweet about it to Mo Versi on Twitter and see if he responds.