Upgrade to M9

rugratjack

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys, im really torn. Ive been an m7 user and absolutely love, aside from the purple camera issue (which htc fixed under warranty). I have absolutely no comolaints, htc are great phones, i cant wait to ypgrade to the m9, the gold version looks amazing, so im happy to go with it. It seems that people are far too willing to criticise htc for not going overboard with the changes, but i personally cant blame them. If it was your business, would you risk making massive changes only for people to complain (and lets face it, you will always get the moaners!) Or would you stick with something that you know is great, and make improvements on the things that have niggles? I say quit yer moaning and get the phone which you all know is great! End of.

HTC M7. Posted via the Android Central App

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I wish it was so simple for me.

I'm an iPhone user looking for my first Android since the HTC G1

But I need to weigh up the pros and cons of each phone.

(just thinking outloud)
The pros of the M9:
Boomsound speakers are awesome, and I use speakerphone a lot
I like HTC sense, I think it's the best software on android
I prefer metal phones
I like the dot view case
The battery life seems to be awesome, which is important to me

Cons:
Although not a frequent camera user, those initial M9 images looked appalling.
I don't like the look of the front of the M9, it looks to me like a 1990s tube TV turned on it's side

Samsung S6 edge:
Pros:
It looks soooo cool
It has a fingerprint scanner
Samsung pay
Better screen
Wireless charging

Cons:
Small battery
I don't like all glass phones so much
It is apparently more difficult to hold

If the HTC has reportedly got a reasonable camera and good battery life I will go for the M9

If the Samsung has the better battery life and comes in at a reasonable price I will go for that

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I wish it was so simple for me.

I'm an iPhone user looking for my first Android since the HTC G1

But I need to weigh up the pros and cons of each phone.

(just thinking outloud)
The pros of the M9:
Boomsound speakers are awesome, and I use speakerphone a lot
I like HTC sense, I think it's the best software on android
I prefer metal phones
I like the dot view case
The battery life seems to be awesome, which is important to me

Cons:
Although not a frequent camera user, those initial M9 images looked appalling.
I don't like the look of the front of the M9, it looks to me like a 1990s tube TV turned on it's side

Samsung S6 edge:
Pros:
It looks soooo cool
It has a fingerprint scanner
Samsung pay
Better screen
Wireless charging

Cons:
Small battery
I don't like all glass phones so much
It is apparently more difficult to hold

If the HTC has reportedly got a reasonable camera and good battery life I will go for the M9

If the Samsung has the better battery life and comes in at a reasonable price I will go for that
I'm in the same boat, trying to decide between the M9 and the S6 Edge. Some days I lean towards S6, other days M9. Bottom line is I don't know if I could actually pull the trigger on a Samsung phone. So far I've only had HTC and Moto. Seen many bad things about Touchwiz and inferior Samsung radios and I never like the plasticy feel of the Samsungs, they just always felt like toys. But the S6 Edge has me taking a serious look. Just such a beautiful looking phone. To me the M9 looks old and dated in comparison. But I know the M9 will be a solid, well built, well performing phone. I will wait a couple weeks after both phones are released and see what the initial reviews look like.

TimmE

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I tried reading the review that is written in Dutch through a translator. I'll wait for something in English.

Posted via the Android Central App

DCSholtis

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I"m not sure anymore what i'm going to get. I had bad experiences with Samsung phones. iOS is too limited in features so i'm not sure if i want a iPhone 6 Plus. I see the comparison video and the M9 had fluctuating exposure issues on video recordings. I don't want another phone like the Razr HD with fluctuating with extreme exposure changes during video recordings. plus i record train videos since i like trains and most phones can't handle the loud locomotives. that and concerts. the HTC One M7 is perfect in that respect. From what i gather LG phones don't handle loud sounds and the sound quality is bad and so was my experience with the GS3.

My LG G3 is the same. Doesn't handle loud sounds at all. Sound quality and ringer was crap. That's why come April 10 I'm going to switch to the M9

Last edited:

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Another pre order for the m9 here. Can't wait to get my hands on it and see for myself

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Where is everyone preordering from? I am on a mailing list from Sprint and haven't heard anything. Is the pink one available yet?

Ive jumped from the M7 (Silver) to the M8 (Gunmetal) and today Pre-Ordered the M9 (Silver/Gold). I've been really lucky getting great deals so im happy to upgrade every year - Adam

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I've had doubts since the reviews came out Sunday but at heart I'm a HTC guy and I'm going to get the M9 as soon as it comes out on Sprint. I'm not sure if it's a sign but the battery life on my M7 (which I got on the first day it was out, April 19, 2013) is getting bad, dropping from 100% to 20% in 8 hours without much use, not sure if Lollipop is the culprit but it's moot, I'm going to put my faith in HTC for a third time (Evo 3D, M7).
And yeah, the Dot View Case II looks really cool, that's a reason too, lol.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm with Sprint also and hope it comes out on April 10th or I am hoping their is a preorder a couple days before. The warehouse is here in Louisville Kentucky and I usually get my phones the next day if I order early enough the day before. I am looking forward to this phone and I want a dot view case also.

I've had doubts since the reviews came out Sunday but at heart I'm a HTC guy and I'm going to get the M9 as soon as it comes out on Sprint. I'm not sure if it's a sign but the battery life on my M7 (which I got on the first day it was out, April 19, 2013) is getting bad, dropping from 100% to 20% in 8 hours without much use, not sure if Lollipop is the culprit but it's moot, I'm going to put my faith in HTC for a third time (Evo 3D, M7).
And yeah, the Dot View Case II looks really cool, that's a reason too, lol.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Is it possible to hear from some ROM developers to speculate whether they can utilize the bigger battery capacity?

There's nothing to utilize as far as I know - it's gonna use power until the battery runs out of juice.

ROMs are currently being developed, but it will definitely be some time before the first ones are out. And even then, it'll be a few months before they're stable and there's full support - custom recoveries, unlocked boot loaders, etc. It'll be about June when things really start moving forward with this phone as far as customization goes and the bugs are worked out.

Plus, you *never* want to be the first to try something that could (potentially) turn the phone into an expensive paperweight.

Powarun

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I can say HTC just updated Sense on my m8 and after testing this out it may change my considerations of upgrading, going by the thought pattern, if its not broke don't fix it.

Matt34Bears

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I would really like to pick up the HTC M9 on April 10th, but with the camera issues and middling battery life, I'm also looking at the Moto X 2014. Can any steer me one way or the other?

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I would really like to pick up the HTC M9 on April 10th, but with the camera issues and middling battery life, I'm also looking at the Moto X 2014. Can any steer me one way or the other?

You are talking about a middling camera and poor battery like and then you mention the Moto X 2014? Might as well get the M8 then.

Ken Burris

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
My M7 is still running flawlessly. I see no need for me to upgrade to the M9. Think I will wait until the next version comes out. I would love to see HTC offer the next version in two sizes. Not a big fan of the larger phones. The M7 is a nice sized phone.

Matt34Bears

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
My issue with the M8 is mostly software support. It's going to get less updates than the M9. Plus, the M9's camera module has promise, so if HTC fixes the image processing software, then it could get better. For the moto x, the primary draw is also software support. Even though it is older, motorola does a good job of updating their phones. Of course, moto maker is a benefit too.