Photos often only show the top half of the picture. Why?

jwbekens

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Teenage daughter has an M9 and the camera occasionally takes a picture and when saved, only the top half of the photo is shown and saved. Sometimes the lower portion, which can vary from 50-80% of the original photo is white; other times it is gray. Sometimes the lower half of the photo is a ghost from another photo. Any ideas how to fix this? She has not upgraded the camera software yet.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Teenage daughter has an M9 and the camera occasionally takes a picture and when saved, only the top half of the photo is shown and saved. Sometimes the lower portion, which can vary from 50-80% of the original photo is white; other times it is gray. Sometimes the lower half of the photo is a ghost from another photo. Any ideas how to fix this? She has not upgraded the camera software yet.

Are photos being saved to gallery or micro sd?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I would try removing the micro SD, rebooting, and try using the phone's storage to make sure there's not something wrong with the card.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

jwbekens

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Removed SD card. Still happens with phone storage. Maybe the camera chip is bad. May need to exchange. Seems half of the photos are affected.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Is it always this way, or hit and miss? The reason I ask is because it seems odd that the sensor would be bad in some way that would allow it to occasionally be the top and then be the bottom, also it would never have a portion of another pic... It sounds like a storage or resource issue. Is this the stock app? Have you tried a third party app from the PS? Does it still occur after a restart? Is a power saver or memory saver app being ran on the device? Or anti virus? Disable any of those apps, restart the device and try again. Get a third party app.

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC One M9

jwbekens

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Is it always this way, or hit and miss? The reason I ask is because it seems odd that the sensor would be bad in some way that would allow it to occasionally be the top and then be the bottom, also it would never have a portion of another pic... It sounds like a storage or resource issue. Is this the stock app? Have you tried a third party app from the PS? Does it still occur after a restart? Is a power saver or memory saver app being ran on the device? Or anti virus? Disable any of those apps, restart the device and try again. Get a third party app.

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC One M9

Stock Sprint M9. No third party apps. No power saver running, and not the one Sprint puts on there. Happens 60% of the time. Some photos that initially look great end up cut off or have gray or white sections inserted. I will try deleting the camera app and reinstalling from the Play store.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Stock Sprint M9. No third party apps. No power saver running, and not the one Sprint puts on there. Happens 60% of the time. Some photos that initially look great end up cut off or have gray or white sections inserted. I will try deleting the camera app and reinstalling from the Play store.

At this point I'd probably take it in for an exchange. That would definitely be considered a defect, so there shouldn't be any problems. Or you could have her try a factory reset.

jwbekens

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Looks like the SDcard was the problem. Just too slow for some reason. Without it, the camera saves the entire picture. I think it is some offbeat brand. Checks out ok, and stores files and things just fine on any computer, but seems to bee too slow for the M9. Fortunately, she is back from her 3 week trip to Russia and she took multiple pics of the same thing, and usually 60% of the time the pics were fine.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Looks like the SDcard was the problem. Just too slow for some reason. Without it, the camera saves the entire picture. I think it is some offbeat brand. Checks out ok, and stores files and things just fine on any computer, but seems to bee too slow for the M9. Fortunately, she is back from her 3 week trip to Russia and she took multiple pics of the same thing, and usually 60% of the time the pics were fine.

Glad you found the culprit! By chance, do you know what camera mode she has been using? When using RAW, and sometimes HDR my card takes forever to process the image. If I move the phone too fast I get bad pics. In auto or manual I don't have the problem. I was just curious.

accursedvenom

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
What class is the SD card? It might be too slow for the phone. The 10 in the circle is the class. That's how many mb/s can be wrote to the card. Lower number, slower speed which can also be a reason for your problem.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 119329.jpg
    119329.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 8