Problem Updating my HTC one due to region

saitomi0627

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I have an HTC one UK version, it's unlocked but i think the carrier is Vodafone

So, i tried updating the software but it gave a warning that the update that i downloaded was for a different region
The update that i downloaded was 1.29.161.7, but the release for the UK version of the Phone was 1.29.401.1

How could i update the software?
And how could i update to Android 4.2

thanks

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
If you're running stock Android 4.1.2, why don't you just go to Settings > Software Update and see if it's available for your device?

saitomi0627

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
That's what I did, it downloaded 1.29.161.7(for the firmware?)
it's not compatible for the region of my phone

the update for 4.2 doesn't show

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

saitomi0627

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
"We have determined that your phone may be running a modified version of its system software. For your protection, we cannot update your phone. Please revert your phone to the official HTC system software to update your phone. If you did not modify your system software or would like help reverting your system, please contact us via the support section at www.htc.com"

This was the exact message when i tried to update again

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
That means your ROM is not stock and that has nothing to do with region. Your device receives 1.29.161 updates since you bought it from Vodafone UK, unless it's a factory unlocked version and you're using a Vodafone UK SIM, then it would be .401.

That error message can mean a couple of things:

1) Your ROM is rooted.
2) You have a custom recovery instsalled
3) Your bootloader is unlocked

Is anyone of those applicable?

saitomi0627

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I never tried to do any of those
Is there a way for me to check this?
cause the seller could have messed up with the phone before selling it

sorry for the noobish questions
im a new android user
thanks

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the seller must have rooted the device or did something else which is causing that. As I said, install the RUU which will revert everything back to stock.

Vlad Mitrofan

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Get the sim out or put it in airplane mode, connect via wi-fi, and check again for software updates, mine worked, but before the 4.2.2 update I recieved another very small update.

CBRHerms

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Reviving an old thread but there doesn't really seem to be much out there on the web for this problem.
Received a new phone after getting my old one stolen, believe it was a generic unbranded UL model and have found that it won't update at all, comes up with the same message (even when changed over to a three uk rom via a nandroid restore - post rooting and such).
Now i know that seeing as it's currently rooted it wont update, but wondering what step to take next.